1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the "use" of Romantic Orientation?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by FireSmoke, Oct 29, 2014.

1. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I'm a sexual person. For me, sex is important. But Love is important, too. And they both are amazing together.

Since I'm not interested in an asexual relationship, what is the use of Romantic Orientation?

What is the use to specify this weird orientation? (for example saying "homoromantic straight", "panromantic"...)

I'm panromantic but this makes me become confused...

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Homoromantic straight man = A man who is sexually attracted to only women, but romantically attracted to only men.

Most people's romantic orientation and sexual orientation match up - homoromantic homosexual, heteroromantic homosexual, biromantic bisexual, etc - but you will find that many will have deviations in that.

For example, some bisexual people date only women. Others only date men. You can also be biromantic and heterosexual/homosexual - that just means you experience sexual attraction to one gender, but romantic orientation towards multiple genders.

Biromantic people are not necessarily bisexual.
    Homoromantic people are not necessarily homosexual.
    Heteromantic people are not necessarily heterosexual.

And so on.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think romantic orientation is like who you like to date I think . I think i"m kinda to blame for bring the term bi romantic to EC Lol:lol:, because after I brought the topic up here it caught firer here pretty quick .

#3 stocking, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. LadyRedRover

I'm a homoromantic asexual so having a romantic orientation is pretty handy in explaining who I'm interested in having a relationship with and what my expectations within that relationship are.

For many people, sexual and romantic attractions align and so there's no point in having two different terms differentiating sexual and romantic attraction :slight_smile:

5. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, so it was you, Stocking? Tsk tsk. Anyway it's too late, it has spread to all of ec now! Even to me (I'm a Biromantic, Bigendered, Bilingual Bisexual :lol: )

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Because for some people their sexuality doesn't match their romantic attractions so It helps for people to know who they are actually interested in dating- especially for asexuals. As a 'homoromantic homosexual' myself, It's not needed and I can just say 'gay', but for others it isn't as simple. And I kind of like that clarity in partners because I would NEVER date a homosexual/bisexual person if they were heteromantic/aromantic.

7. DragKing69

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Biromantic asexual in the HOUZZZ!