1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does top surgery hurt?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lymanclark, Oct 23, 2014.

1. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Does it? I'm curious. I think I want to get it SOMETIME in the future, but I'm a wimp when it comes to pain. :eek:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing like most surgeries there is pain and discomfort involved...

3. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

^ Yeah I figured, but.... has anyone here had it? Did it hurt really badly/for a long time??

4. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´ve read a lot articles about it, ´cause I´m planning to undergo top surgery next year. Yeah, it hurts, ofcourse. But you´ll get analgesics and stuff. You´ll be back home in days. What worries me more is the full anaesthesia.

5. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most if not all of surgeries hurt after the procedure. There are natural pain remedies to take if you're concerned about the side-effects of pharmaceuticals.

6. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I was put under anesthetic, so I didn't feel anything during, of course... when the anesthesia wore off, the first thing I felt were my heels hurting from being moved around on the surgical table.

Yeah, my chest felt pretty sore for the first couple of weeks but the pain has completely subsided. It wasn't excruciating by any means, I just had to take some prescription meds and ibuprofen but I felt fine.

7. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

I hope this doesn't trigger dysphoria for anyone, but how does it compare with cramps? I get horrible cramps (thanks, XX genes), and.... yeah. Is it worse?

8. earthlvr510

It was more soreness and itchy than anything, almost like a sunburn. the actual incisions didn't really hurt, it was just that the bandage was tight and I was really tired and felt sort of off. It was just the side effects from the anesthesia and the meds, the pain is really pretty minimal.

9. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

Ah, okay. Thanks!!

10. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Just to add to the discussion I know there's two main types of top surgery, keyhole and the one we're they cut scars under. Is one more painful than the other or is it the same?

11. birdking

Since the same tissue is being removed, it is probably around the same level of pain. earthlvr510 said it isn't the incisions causing the pain, so I'd assume it's similar.

THEN AGAIN I have not had top surgery so I don't know for certain!

12. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Yeah, you're probably right. :frowning2:

13. FtMart

Let me say first off, I have not had top surgery but i was born with a craniofacial deformity, well two, called cleft lip and cleft palate. Both have left me with countless surgeries in the past, two on my head where incisions were made. Mind you i have a very high level of tolerance to pain from these surgeries. The level of pain you feel is determined by your pain tolerance, the type of processor being done, as well as the location all contribute to the level of pain felt by each individual. Two people can have the same operation done on the same area and one be in more pain due to a low pain tolerance. The scars on my head, after 6-4 years after they were done still hurt at times due to the sensitivity of the area while a scar on my stomach never hurts when touched. It just depends on the person. So yes it can hurt and with every surgery there will be some account of pain no matter how many pain killers your on because they wear off but this shouldn't stop you from having it done if is going to benefit you in the long run if your in pain for a few days to maybe longer after surgery because it's worth it in the end.

For those wonder on my surgery experience, I have had 10, coming up on 11, then 12 later on in the future, alone for the cleft lip and palate defects. I have had no gender related surgeries yet. These surgeries range from me being ten months to 18.