1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Reagan aide: South should secede and create a new anti-gay country — called Reagan!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HuskyPup, Oct 22, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Reagan aide: South should secede and create a new anti-gay country — called Reaga

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. This is why I'm proud to be from the north.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Reagan aide: South should secede and create a new anti-gay country — called Reaga

You know of course, that a seceded Texas would be a complete human rights disaster for women and minorities there, right? :frowning2:

3. antibinary

Face palm.

4. Beetle

Good, maybe our country will finally progress.

I also find it funny that it's usually southern religious conservatives that like to brag about how American they are, yet they're the first ones who would secede and form a new country (again) if given the choice. I dunno man, that sounds pretty un-American to me.

5. CyclingFan

We don't so much have conservatives. We have full blown reactionaries hell bent on rolling back any semblance of progress. It's not for nothing that they've become more and more fascist as LGBTQ, women, nonwhites etc have gained basic protection under the law. These guys would overturn the 14th amendment in a heartbeat if they could

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2014 at 06:30 PM ----------

Yeah, this. It sucks that we've been dragged rightward by a bunch of bigoted, racist, sexist knuckledraggers, but we owe it to our fellow humans to save them from the worst of their deprivations.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

So pathetic. If they don't like America being somewhat progressive, go move to Iraq, Uganda, Nigeria or Russia where they share your primitive thinking. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

7. Ticklish Fish

im ready for civil war 2, just enroll me in the rainbow army

(im from texas)

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You know what? If all the angry conservative baptists in texas would just leave and make their own country somewhere else that would be great.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Agreed. As another person pointed out a few pots back, someplace in Russia would be ideal. It's a big land, and they could probably spare a chunk of Siberia. Putin would be perfect for them: Anti-gay, Christian, pro-family, capitalistic, doesn't care much about the environment or police brutality...they'd have so much in common, the more I ponder it.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Um guys, this is really, really mean... :frowning2: Why are we saying "oh ya, they should go off and pick a place on the earth to be terrible to other people away from us so we don't have to deal with it?"

I realize the allure of rejecting the chaff in our society, but the thing is, social problems don't go away by being removed from our notice, or being deferred. They don't go off into the aether. They go off and simply hurt other people.

As much as it's inconvenient, I think we need to suck it up and deal with the fact that we have terrible people in our midst. But we have to set about a very principled project of marginalizing those people and controlling their negative impact through the laws.

Letting their violent bigotry be unchecked as long as they are just "somewhere else" is not a solution. :frowning2:

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Exactly my sentiments.

Much like blissful ignorance of exported poverty, abandoning a region to extreme conservatism isn't exactly a nice thing to do or even joke about.

12. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Now, now! Just a bit of fun. I wouldn't actually consign anyone to such a horrible fate. But I do need to joke about things to retain my sanity, and laughter wards off being depressed better than any pills they've doled out, at least so far :slight_smile:

13. TossAWatermelon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I think someone pointed this out but that guy has quite an un-USian attitude. How did this guy get to be near the president of the country he now wants to secede from?