1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM and shopping

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RayXxx, Oct 19, 2014.

1. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Everytime I go into a store to get some clothes, I of course look forward to going into the "male" section. However, once I get there and find things I like, it turns out I'm too freakin small to fit in the smallest sizes of guys clothing. I hate this tiny feminine body. The outing in short, ends up turning to ruin because I start to get dysphoric. Then I see all these taller cis males shopping that course can fit into the sizes there easily.

I'm curious as to what you guys do, when trying to find sizes that fit?

2. wannabemarco

Out Status:
    Some people
    men's pants sizes(in the US) are are typically listed in inches (wast then leg). I suggest taking good measurements then going to the adolescents section?

Then again I haven't worked up the courage to go into the women's section soooooooo idk.

props on out and trying!!

3. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try the Teen's section instead of the Men's. :slight_smile:

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  5. FtMart

Im 4' 10" (will not grow anymore) and weight under 100 lbs (pounds) at 18 and i usually shop at hot topic for my male clothes or other sports stores like Vans or Coastal Edge or even in the kids department if i have to. Or you could buy shirts and get them tailored to fit you.

6. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

7. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

@RayXxx - at 5'3" and less than 100 pounds, 'tis very difficult for me to find suitable men's clothing. So I swallow my pride and shop in the little boys' department. I have some very nice formalwear from there, and the lady selling it to me only looked slightly weirded out!

8. thesonoferik

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lots of places have a "slim" line which could work for you. An alternative would be to just invest in a sewing machine, buy the oversized clothes you want, and take them in at the seams.

9. birdking

It might suck but try to shop at places that are geared more towards teens than adult men; the clothes are smaller, but not so small you'd have to shop in the boys' section.

I'm pretty small and I always find clothes there.

10. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Lol, it does feel shameful going to the boys department as a 19 year old guy. Thanks a lot to estrogen in the womb, lack of T prevented my male parts from growing, and now I have this small feminine body.

But all good suggestions.

11. lymanclark

lymanclark Guest

@RayXxx - Right?! Incidentally, I majorly trolled my parents as a fetus - apparently, I kept positioning myself weirdly, so they couldn't figure out my sex :grin: Maybe I figured something was off even back then?

12. Tomboyobmot

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not FTM but i am a female that only wears male clothes (have my whole life.)
    Try going into typical teenager fashion stores such as surf shops etc. You'll generally find that the mens clothes still look appropriate for older people to dress in, however they'll come in smaller sizes as well.
    Also try going into Major outlets such as Target, Kmart etc. and once again go to the teens section. They offer nice shirts, jeans, formal clothes etc. as well as general casual clothes.

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's probably what I'll end up doing when I have a bit of free time. You develop some useful skills, spare yourself the trouble with tailors.

I'm one of those who wander through the men's section with sad eyes, hunting for small sizes. Usually I get most of my clothes on second hand shops, and I can get very good deals for 'neutral' cothing, for example woman's clothes with a straight -neutral cut (jackets). It's not ideal, but way better than nothing. I gnash my teeth if I find something 'girly' on my clothes. The scissor is conveniently on my closet, next to my belts and ready for action...

If money is not an issue, try what you found at Hudson's guide.

I refuse to go to the kids section... Ok, that's a lie, I don't, but 90% of the times I find nothing there that I like (classic men's clothes : jackets, shirts, trousers...). Still it's worth a try I guess, even if it feels weird :confused: ...