1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How LGBT-friendly is your workplace? Are you out at work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Oct 19, 2014.

1. qwer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I currently work in Asian area. There isn't any anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBT. I'm not out at work coz MOST OF MY COWORKERS ARE NOSY but I think they won't discriminate me if they know the truth. Instead, they'll just spread my sex orientation to the whole office. hahahaha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am fully out at my current job. Even here in Texas, you can work for a non discriminating company with co-workers that could give a shit less if you're gay.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, is that really true? That's sad, though. I thought of becoming a teacher, but I'd hate to go back in the closet after being out so long. So that's true even in a 'liberal' place like Mass? I mean, could they really fire you for that?

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think for Kasey it's mostly because she already has lots of students that know of her as Mr. Science Teacher

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I see. That would make it a lot harder. I guess you would almost have to teach at a different school, to get around some of the pesky issues that would arise.

6. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not working at the moment because I have literally no time to do anything but study, but I'm about as open as I possibly could be without literally tattooing it on my forehead at uni, and for the most part everyone's pretty accepting. I used to be a waitress, and while I never told any of my colleagues outright, I never hid it and they never really cared either way - their very favourite regular was gay. But then I live in Scotland - everyone's pretty accepting here (unless you're English).

7. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Alot of the teachers at my high school was openly gay and the dean who became principal is a lesbian.

8. Soillse

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I used to volunteer in schools, and I know how terrifying it can be to be constantly worrying about if people find out. The one time a pupil did find out and asked me about it, I just asked him if it really mattered and if he was just trying to deflect from actually having to do work, and then it was never brought up again.

9. KazTastic

Most of the female staff here are lesbian or bisexual. However, the delivery centre is very masculine and male dominated, so I'm not sure how coming out as a gay male would go. Then again, it serves a progressive area, and most of the staff are politically progressive, so I doubt I'd get harassed badly over it.

10. lion12

I'm not out to my family so I'm definitely not out at work.
    I work for a place where I should be protected against discrimination, but I wouldn't feel comfortable being out of the closet there. My boss is a macho and he has made a lot of homophobic comments towards some consultant who worked for him. He never specifically talked about lesbians, but still. Homophobia is homophobia.
    I wouldn't feel comfortable coming out to anyone at work in case he finds out. I find it horribly sad and shocking especially when the society is generally accepting where I live, but for the sake of my career I'm pretty sure I'll stay closeted as long as I work for him.

11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't work

12. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not LGBT friendly workplace. Not out at work. Wish I could be... :frowning2: I feel like it would jepordize my job if I came out at work.

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2014 at 05:36 PM ----------

Yeah, it is different if you teach at a public school or Christian school. I teach preschool at a Christian daycare center. It's just so much easier to get into childcare at a Christian center. And while they can't probably legally fire you for being LGBT, they can come up with a bs excuse to fire you over to cover up the real reason; I've witnessed that. I do want to get into the school system, but there are no openings currently. :frowning2: