1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Your Price?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kaiser, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would never give up my father, mother, or brother.

Friends, I would maybe sell down the river. But I couldn't put a monetary value on it. I would have to be guaranteed enough power to make the world a better place in some concrete and sweeping way. (For example, I'd have to be allowed to void a Supreme Court decision, order a specific military action, or something like that.)

2. Kaylen

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forgive me, for I can already foresee quite a bit of rambling in my response, but this question is something to ponder.

I am not necessarily a kind person, although when it suits my own interests I can pretend to be. Therefore, I have hurt many of those people that I care about countless times, and probably countless more in the future. My loyalty makes it hard to intentionally give someone up, because I am too selfish to give up the things that I love, however, things such as my job or school would be easily given up in trade for a substantial amount of currency. Money does not make the world turn, but why work when one simply works for profit anyways?

Hurting them, however, it a much easier task. In purely a hypothetical fashion, if I were something grander, or were to simply go by my ideas of morality rather than my actual humanity, I would like to picture that I would only hurt those who love me for something that would end in a benefit of both me and them. It would be impossible to erase the pain, but I would like the outcome to be enough to ease it and surpass it. I would insult my family to save their lives, or in a more standard, every day mannerism, such as this past week, ignore them to spare them of my anger - which is undeserved. In some grand sense, I would like to think that if 'the end justifies the means' and I can give someone everything they have dreamed for a consuming amount of grief for a period of time, I would do it and explain why it is that I did it. Perhaps they would hate me for it, as the line goes: "I did it all for you," but perhaps they would be happy, and if I could have some sort of solstice in there, I would also be happy. Of course, I am selfish, and those who I grow to care for mean the world to me, so I would prefer for me to still have these people even after the pain I have caused them.

That was not nearly as long as I imagined it being.

3. raiden04

raiden04 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Future job/school>friends>family and loved ones.
    It wouldn't take a whole lot for me to give up my family tbh. Hurting them on the other hand is wayyy different. I'd only be willing to intentionally hurt them (just one time) if I was somehow going to be guaranteed life-long happiness in return.

This one's easy; nothing.

#43 raiden04, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  4. KingJude

Friends: Best friend? Nothing. Never at all. Other friends? Also nothing, but only because that would jeopardise my relationship with best friend :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Family: I have a very small family, so nothing. But my Stepfamily? Name your price! xD

Job/School: Another very tricky one. My education is my life, so again, boring, but nothing.

Loved Ones: Well, I count my best friend as a 'loved one', so nothing. My mother? Nothing. My father? I suppose I could be bought if I'm being honest with this one. I love my father considerably, but there are plenty of things I cannot forgive him for, and I'm sure if the opportunity arose I could be bought...

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

The ability to change the world and compensate everyone for however much I hurt them manytimes over, would about do it for me

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kaiser...
    Wow, when you come up with a question you really hit hard! Before I give you my answer, let me say a few things...first nothing is ever a simply as it seems. Hurt your whole family just once...for a good cause even, and then be able to explain it to them. That doesn't sound too bad, after all you could explain, but has this been thought all the way through? What damage would that single betrayal cause, over how many years, to how many people? You make it sound like the action is taken once and then it's over....sorry that's not and never will be the case with any of the scenarios that you proposed. All will go on and on causing damage down the years and generations until all that is left is the anger and desire to get even when the original cause has been forgotten. As you can tell my answer to your question is no, I would not do any of those things. They would require me to sacrifice my integrity, change who I am and poison those I love. Ok, I know setting here typing is one thing and actually facing the situation is another...I can only hope that I would stay true to myself and not harm my family and friends. I've managed to avoid hurting my family and friends for over fifty years, I'm not going to start now. I encourage you to really think things through to the end result before you take the first step on that path.

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

At the moment, I have every intention of moving abroad within this upcoming year, and of course that means giving up my proximity to my family and that I will be losing friends, so I guess that's the best I can answer this.

8. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't give anything for taking my family and friends and loved ones away.

But my school... If I could make myself look however I wanted, how I feel on the inside, I could give up my school for that.

As for hurting those dear to me, no, I would never want to do that. In my case, revenge would be immoral.

As for killing someone I don't like... If there was one political leader that stood out as being barbaric, I might. But otherwise, no. Everything happens for a reason and I wouldn't want to disrupt everything, would I?

9. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Those were interesting questions.
    Friends: distance is enough for me to lose them. With all communication ease they just forgot about me.
    So ya after my experience I would diffinitly trade them with money.
    Family: my perent I will not trade my mom with. Anything but dad not too much. My kids I'm mama bear I will eat up anyone look at them funny:tantrum:

Others according how close we are for examble my siblings if they got hurt I feel their pain.
    Schools and job: better offers I trade them in a heartbeat.
    Loved on: if you mean the love of my life she is rare and really I wouldn't trade her for the world not for a minute.

10. tulman

Loyalty is an admirable and valued trait. No way I would allow anything nasty to happen to family members let alone do it myself and I can't respect or admire anyone who would. I remember when Ted Kaczynski's (the unabomber) brother turned him in. I'd have a very hard time doing that. Yeah, he's a killer but he's my brother. Let somebody else do it. I'd also never sell out a close friend.
    I have a very short list of those I despise. I'd have no problem at all seeing bad things happen to them. I'd even enjoy it. My sister says I can be someone's best friend or their worst enemy.

11. Lyana

The questions pack a punch and so do some of the answers here. They're all very interesting. Here are my thoughts.

Give up my friends/family/loved ones? -- Not for money (this because I'm not starving on the streets and am financially more-or-less secure). I don't think family is something I could give up for any sum -- if I had a ton of the money, they're the first I would want to share it with.

Give up your job/school? -- Enough money to last a lifetime without working, and travel a lot. I wouldn't think twice.

Hurt everyone you value in your life? -- I couldn't. Really. Because some of the people I care most about have already had so much sh** happen to them, I would hate myself if I were to deliberately hurt them.

Buy your silence, and allow someone you dislike in life, to be killed? -- My silence comes free (not that I'd be against remuneration anyway). I realize that, morally, this is way beyond questionable, but there are certain people humanity would be better off without. The death of a terrorist or genocidal dictator would not weigh very heavily on my conscience.

12. beyourself

beyourself Guest

I would never give up my friends, family and loved ones. I also wouldn't give up my school because I think education is very very important. But I would give up my job if I'd find something else that is more fulfilling and live at ease with.
    I hate to hurt other people so I would never hurt them deliberately. And to kill somebody I dislike is something I will never do. Nothing in this world could make me kill somebody.

13. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give up your friends?
    Give up = kills? I can take some pain. My life would need to be seriously threatened, and even then... I guess we'd just have to find out what happens. If somebody is offering me loads of money to kill my friends... I'm going to beat up this fool because I take that as an insult.
    Give up your family?
    Again, somebody would have to threaten my life. Hmm. I can't avenge people if I'm dead. My family would have to do something truly terrible for me to stop caring entirely.
    Give up your job/school?
    We have to consider what it looks like on a CV when a person skips aimlessly from job to job. I'm not gonna lie. I would accept millions of dollars. When it comes to money, I'm a long-term planner.
    Give up your loved ones?
    Nothing. Somebody would need to brainwash me and even then I'm resisting to the bitter end. I would tell my tormenter(s) just how unskilled they are. I might even scare them because some pains literally make me laugh out loud.

What would it require to, just one time...

Hurt everyone you value in your life? Just once. You can explain to them, why you did it, but only after you have hurt them.

Nothing. I'm already hurting them enough with my life choices. So I guess my answer is more along the lines of I'd hurt them for the sake of my life.

Although I might feel as if I made the wrong decision because I could've picked to make more of society happy... if many lives are weighed against the value of my family. The one family member that I really had a problem with, is already dead. No point in holding a grudge beyond the grave.

What would it require to, just one time, buy your silence, and allow someone you dislike in life, to be killed? This can be anybody, from a dictator to your worst enemy, to somebody who wronged you, or society, in general.

It takes A LOT for me to want somebody dead, but there are some truly evil people that are stains on our planet. I want to kill them myself. I would pay good money for a clean-up professional and guaranteed impunity from the law. With that said, it suits society better if I behave myself and everything is connected. Sometimes I wish we could just do holmgang! But there would be too many ways to abuse that.

14. Mickz

Well the honest truth from me is, I'm planning on giving up my household "family" when I turn 18, they have done nothing but hurt me over the years. While I still love them, in a weird twisted way, I only seem to make their live worst. It seems the kindest thing for me to do FOR them, is cutting them out of my life for good.

I however, would never give up my father and my best friend, they are my loved ones. I wouldn't still be here if not for them. Suicide would've taken me a long time ago.

Um give me a a couple of million dollars and I'll quit my job/school in a heartbeat, I mean what sort of question is this? You have a job for the sole reason of making money right? It seems a useless question in this thread.

I hurt people I value in life on a daily basis, I try to fight it, but I cannot. So again no price on this one.

I would never wish or deliberately let someone be killed, no matter how much I hated them, human life should be valued far beyond any other thing.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Normally, yes. But for this thread, it isn't just a job you go to to just make money -- it'd be your dream career, where you'd want to ultimately be in life. Most folks would probably give up, say, a job bagging groceries for a billion dollars.

Also, some people really enjoy their jobs. Be it the environment, the people, or the reputation of the place. There's other factors to consider, besides just making financial gain, lol.

16. Mickz

Ah well, I would give up my job, to rather pursue my hobbies if the price was up high enough for me to live out the rest of my life in comfort.