1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batman: The Animated Series

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by XenaxGabby, Oct 14, 2014.

1. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Anyone watched it? I don't remember much except for Batman and the Joker so I started re-introducing myself through Netflix. Though I admit I've kind of cheated. Once I got to Harley Quinn's first episode (Joker's Favour) I decided to watch all the episodes featuring her first. I plan on watching all Joker's episodes next and then the rest of the episodes in the series.

2. White Knight

I liked the show. Infact I still have a large collection of action figures of TAS.

Thanks to Batman Returns, I was fan of Catwoman on the show. Later I realized real Catwoman ain't that complicated or interesting as Pfeiffer/Burton version.

3. TheStormInside

I used to watch it is as a kid/teen and I liked it a lot. It's funny you mention it now because I just borrowed Season 1 DVDs from my friend to start rewatching :slight_smile: .

4. Candace

I used to watch it as a kid. It's been ages since I've watched episodes, maybe nine or ten years.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You can skip around with episodes, aside from any obvious two-parters, and be fine. There is a sense of loose continuity in the series, but they'll remind you, what the connection is, if you haven't seen a past episode. So, you're fine, by skipping around.

However, once you watch all of the episodes Harley Quinn is in, you might find yourself disappointed, as you have nothing to look forward to. While I like Harley Quinn, she had nothing on...

Mr. Freeze.

"Heart Of Ice" is, in my opinion, the best damn episode of Batman: The Animated Series. It is the episode that made me realize, Mr. Freeze could make an amazing villain. I hated the version we got, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, which has probably ruined the character for a long time to come.

The reason I believe Mr. Freeze would make an amazing villain, for any future Batman film is, his back story. He is very much like Batman. Wronged by society, and motivated by his own personal justice -- in this case, to find a way of curing his sickly wife, at any cost.

The speech Mr. Freeze gives to Batman, still, to this day, stands out to me:

Mr. Freeze: Tonight, I mean to pay back the man who ruined my life... our lives.

Batman: Even if you have to kill everyone in the building to do it?

Mr. Freeze: Think of it, Batman. To never again walk on a summer's day with the hot wind in your face and a warm hand to hold. Oh yes, I'd kill for that!

And this exchange:

Batman: I saw what happened to your wife, I'm sorry.

Mr. Freeze: I'm beyond emotions. They've been frozen dead in me.

All that said, I enjoyed The Joker's episodes as well. Scarecrow had a good episode or two. Two-Face was pretty tragic, and handled well. I also liked the Penguin. Another great episode is, Batman gets hurt, but is found by some kids, who take him into their house. The Penguin, tracking Batman down, attempts to get at the Dark Knight, but the kids wind up playing a game of 'Home Alone' with him. Hilarious stuff.

Great series all around, though, near the end, when they tacked on Robin, it started to become more totally kid friendly. That's okay, but compared to where the series began, you'll notice the change.

6. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I've finished watching all Harley's episodes. A little sad but I'm going to read some of her comics. All the Joker ones are up next! Now, I've seen Batman (1989) and The Dark Knight but Mark Hamill is by far my favourite Joker!

Also, they are releasing new B:TAS action figures later this year.

The only thing I liked about Batman and Robin was Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy.

7. Stripe101

I've seen a few episodes. I've also played the Arkham games which have a strong connection to the show.

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Even though I haven't seen it yet it's definitely had a huge impact on my idea of what Batman is. Alot of the voice actors that the Batman Animated Series introduced defined so much of what their characters were and shaped how they would continue to be seen later on in other forms of media. For example Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill and Arleen Sorkin all reprise their roles as Batman, Joker, and Harley Quinn in the Arkham Asylum series and they are a huge part of the reason those games feel so authentic. The Animated Series is definitely a significant part of the Batman universe and it's something every dedicated fan should want to experience at some point~ (im sure ill get around to it myself someday but nevermind that) <_>

9. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

It's the only Batman I've enjoyed. I didn't like any of the movies.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Unforgivable!

Go watch "Heart of Ice". I'm sure you'll love it.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I know I will, I've already seen a few clips from through out the series so I have an idea of how good it is. I just havent sat down to watch the whole thing yet ;-;

this part is maybe my all time favorite moment of anything ever [youtube]rfsFBoozAXw[/youtube]

12. Jonathan

[YOUTUBE]lb8fWUUXeKM[/YOUTUBE]

...that is all :lol:

13. White Knight

Finally someone else who loves Poison Ivy in that crappy movie. She was the only good thing about that sorry excuse for a movie.

When Tim Burton's Batman hit the theatres on 1989, he did something magical, made Batman a super star. Everyone around the world learned the name Batman and his logo.

I am not very fond of that movie tho... While I love Jack Nicholson and Kim Bassinger, had a crush on Micheal Keaton, movie still feels like lacking. Batman Returns made things more interesting. I am watching the movie nowadays (I watch 15-20 mins while eating my dinner) and find myself thinking this movie is the best Bat-movie for me. I have to admit that it is more of a Catwoman movie than Batman one.

One confession coming up... I always tear up, if not out right cry, on this epic scene. Music, situation and acting all perfect for me.

*SPOILER IF YOU DIDN'T SEE THE MOVIE YET*

[YOUTUBE]eeEz9oE17ac[/YOUTUBE]

14. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I thought I was the only one as well:slight_smile: I don't know why I don't like any of the movies but like the animated series.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I gotta second the Batman Returns being superior. I mean, I like Tim Burton's first film -- it really did bring Batman to the mainstream, and out of the underground's comic books. Hell, it was what inspired the Animated Series -- and those of us here, who have posted, know how exceptional that is. Batman Returns is the icing on the Batman cake.

The Penguin was handled very well. I liked the dark humor of the film, and the shadowy scenery it used. It knew it wasn't totally serious, but the movie treated the viewer with a certain respect. As goofy as a group of penguins look, waddling, for example, it is hard to deny, that the Penguin's death scene is anything but goofy.

Catwoman isn't a bad bonus either, I have to admit.

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    AHH!!!!!!!!!! i grew up watching this, the entire series. even the phantom movie. they said that out of all batman series, this one was the closest to the comics.

17. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me there is no better adaption of batman out there. Batman The Animated Series is still one of my favorite shows of all time. Batgirl was my hero! :slight_smile: I mean yeah, the Joker doesn't get as Dark in the animated series as he does in other adaptations (Unless you count his appearances in the animated movies... which are fantastic o_o) but there is no better Joker than the TAS version for me, there really isn't. SO yeah, I love this series :3 it was my after school show when I was a kid, even more than power rangers!

18. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I agree. I just finished watching The Dark Knight (give it a second chance). I found it to be boring and too long. Heath Ledger is extremely impressive as the Joker but I still like Mark Hamill the best!

19. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh man, I watched Batman: TAS from beginning to end back in the day! I was probably like 4 or 5 when it aired on TV. I also had a bunch of action figures based on the show I used to play with all the time. Good memories!