1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When the Lights Came On!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JuliusJ, Oct 13, 2014.

1. JuliusJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have known I was different from a very young age. I realized I was gay when I was in middle school, probably around age 12 or 13, but pushed it so far down in my subconscious that it just didn't register on the radar. I went to middle school in the late 80s and homophobia was more rampant than today. Gay jokes were ever present among the pre-pubescent crowd. I heard my parents use the word "faggot" in a derogatory manner on several occasions. I learned what society had conditioned me to learn.......that being gay is wrong and gross and you will be ostracized and isolated if you tell someone you are gay. So I continued to push it further into my subconscious not acknowledging to myself until I got to high school. I was never comfortable with it. I hated it but I couldn't help being attracted to guys...and I did try to stop but nothing worked. I had a best friend in high school who was also gay and we were each other's support. However, we never came out to each other until well after high school. I think we both knew about each other but it was an unspoken truth. That friendship saved my life because I had no one else I could relate to. I was not macho and ultra masculine. I wasn't overly feminine either but I didn't like sports that much. I wasn't a jock. I wasn't a preppy from one of the upper middle class families. I didn't have a clique that high school tries to put you in (ie: Mean Girls). I was a loner and more so....very lonely. I was smart and got good grades....probably the one thing I was good at.

I am the product of an abusive childhood. I was raised by a verbally, physically, and emotionally abusive father who was a severe alcoholic. My mother was a weak, timid, co-dependent. I got sick living in that home. When I say I got sick, I am referring to the family disease of alcoholism. My father's verbal and emotional abuse of me and his tyranny led me to feel very bad about myself. I began to hate myself and to believe that I was a fat, piece of shit like my father would call me. I was afraid of him. He scared the shit out of me. In my childhood I got hit with belts, cursed at, yelled at, ridiculed and was made to stay silent at all times. If I laughed, he got angry. If I played too loud, he got angry. I hated my father. I hated what he did to me. I always felt he turned me into some social retard. I think I took this into high school. I was the most shy, quietest kid in school. I had no social skills. I did not know what to say to people. I didn't know how to start a conversation. I was awkward (still am really). I still hadn't come out after high school to anyone though I think some guys in school knew because my friend was more feminine than me and we always hung out together. Also, I had guys ask me to sit on their lap and I had guys touch me inappropriately. I was bullied. I felt like shit. I felt like being gay is making me more abnormal.....more different than anyone else. All I wanted to do was belong. All I wanted to do was feel normal. My being gay coupled with my shyness, which I eventually learned was social anxiety disorder, trapped me withing my own mind. Rather than let anyone get too close and get to know me, I shut the world out. In my mind I thought, I may be alone but at least I won't be hurt.

College meant much the same way though no bullying to speak of because of the much more progressive atmosphere in a liberal area. I still was not comfortable in my own skin and not out. I remember there was a men's support group gay men that I walked past numerous times but was too much of a coward to go in. How I regret not diving in then. I was breaking. I was starting to be overwhelmed by the loneliness but fear held me back and I was its prisoner. I graduated from college pretty much still in the closet.

Fast forward to present day. I moved back home after college and I remember how devastated I was when did that because I had gotten away from my father when I went to college. I did not have a job or money to get my own place and I was scared. I was alone....no friends...well maybe 1 or 2......but I sort of resigned myself that this was going to be my life and I had better get used to it. I had no hope of having a better life. I had given up. So I got a dead end job worked 6 years in that after college then got a better job and drowned myself in work. I decided that I don't have a social life and I'm not in college anymore, but I can be good at something.....MY JOB! I worked extremely hard sometimes 60 hours a week in a demanding career in human services. I figured I would work constantly, come home and eat dinner, maybe some TV, then to bed and the day would repeat. This went on for years with little variation and I began to despair as I could not stop feeling lonely. I felt so lonely, so empty that I contemplated suicide often. I used to beg God to kill me because i was too much of a coward to do it myself. I hated living. I got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and I actually hoped I would die from it. It was very bad and I was in a dark place. I don't want to visit that place again. Anyway, I later became so despondent and so lonely and so angry for what I feel my father had done to me that I decided the only way I can start to heal is if I move away from my dysfunctional parents and that's exactly what I did. I got my own apartment and hoped that would be a new start for me. I started going to Alanon which was a God send for me because I found the bravery to share my story with others. To this day, I don't know how I found the strength to talk about my problems with others. I got to the point where I felt the fear of doing nothing exceeded the fear of change. I was afraid if I didn't do anything to try to improve my life, I would continue to suffer and I felt being laughed at or embarrassed or whatever was fine as long as I wasn't alone anymore. I think I had hit a bottom where I said to myself I can't take this anymore. That's when the lights came on! Suddenly, things started to get better. I got better. Providence brought an old friend back into my life and the friendship has been life affirming. He knows I'm gay and accepts me for me and that is a rare gift. I'll post more about him later. Anyway, I have been socializing more, going to bars, trying to meet people. I live in a rural area so it's hard. I have gone to counseling and will be going back soon as I think I really need it. It's baby steps but I continue work my way out of my despair and into a life worth living.

2. laut

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're really brave: for sharing all that here, and for still fighting for a better life. I believe you can get there.

3. Tallu

It's never too late to have a happy childhood. Well...so they say, lol! I'm very happy for you. :slight_smile:

4. BeingEarnest

Dear Julius,

Thank you for sharing your story. I can relate to it in many levels, both as a man coming out as gay later in life, and as the child of alcoholic parents. I found Al-anon to be very helpful- even life saving. It was many years later when I began to face my sexuality. It feels like the missing puzzle pieces of my life are coming together, and the image is starting to make sense.
    You are not alone.
    I wish you well as you continue the process of healing.

5. nydtc

So not alone! Another child of an alcoholic, gay late in lifer, product of the 80s homophobia! Wow can I add that to my business card? You will heal and we will be hear if needed.