1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Supreme Court Rejects Gay Marriage Appeals From 5 States

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Aldrick, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Aldrick

Article from here.

Today, officially, over 50% of the United States recognizes marriage equality. It will be interesting to see how states such as Utah and Oklahoma react, since they are so strongly Republican.

2. SeaSalt

Slowly but surely. Keep going USA, You'll join us in the future yet!

3. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Something about activist SCOTUS hippies, even if what they actually did is pretty much the opposite of judiciary activism (although in this particular case SCOTUS playing it safe is benificial to our side.)

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're going to have to take the case sometime soon. The 6th circuit is poised to rule against gay marriage, and at that point, you'd have conflicting rulings needing resolution. They can run, but they can't hide from this issue.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So what happens in Michigan? I really wanna move back, but I see nothing changed there, or a number of other states that had appeals: Ohio, Texas, &c.

6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Circuit Court of Appeals has yet to rule, and it's looking like they'll uphold the bans, as 2 out of the 3 judges were appointed by Republican Presidents. If this happens, the Supreme Court may end up taking the case, as there are now conflicting rulings in the lower courts.

7. DMark69

It is still unclear how this affects us here in Wyoming some are saying it is now legal, but Jeran Artery, Chairman of Wyoming Equality one of the plaintiffs in our court case in state court doesn't think it affects us yet. Maybe soon.

My southern neighbors should be celebrating tonight though. The Attorney General has issued an order that all 64 county clerks in Colorado MUST ISSUE Same sex marriage certificates Immediately.

8. Candace

Well, at least it's a step in the right direction for us. We're getting there, guys...

9. AKTodd

Per our local ABC affiliate -

The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond issued an order just before 1 p.m. legalizing same-sex marriage in all of the states in the 4th circuit, including Virginia and North Carolina.

Couples in Virginia Beach began receiving marriage licenses at 1 p.m.

So marriage licenses are already being issued here in Virginia.

Todd

10. AlamoCity

This is sort of anticlimactic, but still in a good way. At least the couples in those states and circuits can get marriage rights as soon possible. Maybe that's one of the reasons the "liberal four" on SCOTUS didn't all vote to hear the case(s) since it only takes four votes to grant certiorari. In a way, this could also serve as the shot across the bow to the other circuits that have yet to rule to tread carefully because SCOTUS didn't think the cases merited review (i.e. they let the circuit decisions stand), or are just waiting for a circuit split, hoping it never happens so they don't have to soil their hands :lol:.

---------------
    I'm sure David Boies and Ted Olson are kind of pissed. I'm sure they were already thinking which actors were going to play them in the movie where they got marriage equality for the whole nation :lol:. OK, I'm just being cynical.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a very bad feeling about this...

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  13. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  14. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Ok mabye someone can bring clarification to what's happing in Michigan like to was legal then it wasn't then it was and now I am so confused?

15. DMark69

Water Lover,
    Michigan voters approved a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage in 2004. A federal district court ruled that amendment violated the US Constitution, and threw it out, allowing marriages to commence and 300 marriages were performed before the sixth circuit court of appeals issued a stay on that decision, effectively putting it on hold and stopping further marriages until the sixth circuit can rule on the constitutionality. That is where it sits now, waiting on a decision by the sixth circuit court.

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a happy surprise to read this today! I wasn't expecting they'd decide so quickly whether to take up these cases or not. It's an interesting plot twist.

My question is if the upcoming circuit court decisions find that marriage bans are unconstitutional will those decisions be appealed to the SCOTUS or would they be the final decision? It would seem like they should not be able to be appealed or stayed in light of today's denial of cert. I don't know if that's how it really works, but I guess we'll see.

The alternate situation where a circuit court upholds a state marriage ban would be quite different and that I can see ending up at the SCOTUS.

17. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    But don't forget about the 9th circuit court. 3 democrat judges are bound to rule in favor of same-sex marriage. However, it may be best for the Supreme Court not to take marriage equality yet. There's only 1 justice who acts as the "swing vote" and something this big shouldn't determine the future of same-sex marriage just yet. Just 1 vote and we'd be fucked.

18. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Water lover, Michigan's case is pending a decision by the 6th circuit court of appeal. It wasn't one of the cases appealed to the SCOTUS... yet. If the 6th upholds the state bans then it would go against the other other circuit court decisions and that's when it would be appealed to the SCOTUS and possibly be the one that decides it for the whole country.

19. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, I think I can clear this up.

I'm also from Michigan, I grew up near Traverse City!

Sadly, the case in Michigan is awaiting a decision by the 6th US court of Appeals, and thus, was not part of today's decision, because the lower (appeals) court hadn't ruled yet.

In Michigan, I believe a lower court overturned the gay marriage ban, but then it was appealed to the next level, where it's awaiting an outcome. That courts decision will cover Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Today's decision made marriage immediately legal in 5 states, and soon to be in several more:

MAP HERE

But it's sad, it will probably be another 6 months to a year, for Michigan.

20. Vaettfang

Kentucky?!
    ...aw shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.