1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Hexagon

That's brilliant :roflmao:

2. SeaSalt

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful [as the Babel fish] could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God.

The argument goes like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn’t thought of that," and promptly disappears in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo’s kidneys, but that didn’t stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book, Well That about Wraps It Up for God.

Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *spits out water laughing*

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh. I'm gonna go with "no" though. Not because he isn't omnipotent (assuming he is real and all-powerful), but because the question does not make sense. Not only does God not exist in a form that lends itself to lifting things like a dude at the gym, but because there's no reason an omnipotent figure would have a limit on how much he could lift in that scenario. It could weigh an infinite amount (destroying the universe while it's at it) and prove impossible for anyone but God to move.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Whether there is or isn't a god I don't feel inclined to care about him at all much less love him in the slightest

6. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The Greek and Roman Gods and Goddesses were absolute dicks yet people still worshipped them.

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Muh dick. I want it where it belongs, God.
    If I could start over as a normal guy, I'd be more devout than the Pope himself.

8. BreezyB

Im going to say yes, but it depends on what you expect of the god that you believe in. The thing is most people see god as a guardian instead of a teacher. Since i see him as a teacher i think that he has done everything we can expect of him, which is giving us the material to read and follow. And if we don't follow commandments we want get mad when the world is shitty. That's like refusing to do your homework getting straight f's and then getting mad when your life sucks because you cant get a job.
    And to answer the creating an object question, if you believe in an all powerful god then the answer is no. Because he has the ability to create a weight of any size but also has the ability to lift any weight.

9. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I like this guy and how he thinks.

10. Ryujin

The whole point of the question proves that an omnipotent being cannot logically exist. An omnipotent being could give itself a form and create a rock that nothing could lift, however, an omnipotent being has the power to lift anything and so it continues. An all powerful being can do anything.

11. Hexagon

Yes, but then god isn't omnipotent because it can't make something heavy enough that he can't lift it.

My answer would be that the question of god doesn't make sense, rather than this question.

12. Nikky DoUrden

A video worth a billion of words
    [YOUTUBE]kyYS-GzBSIg[/YOUTUBE]

13. Mickz

Douglas Adams Was a brilliant man in my honest opinion...

As for The subject on God, while I want to believe in the religion of my family, I just can't bring myself to have faith in something or someone that has never proven themselves to be worthy of Faith. I hope that made sense...

14. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people

No why would I god king of hugs waste my time preforming logical impossibilities for the amusement of a bunch of air breathing land dwellers that can not even go a whole decade without denying humans rights to others, wars, or just plain being cruel.

Like seriously why would a god create laws of nature just so he can simply break them for the amusement of mortals.

[​IMG]

#54 CandyKing, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps not, but I don't see the need for a god to have literal infinite power in order to create/observe all existence. He could have abilities that are limited, yet still far beyond what's conceivable to humans without falling prey to paradoxes like the "heavy object" question.

The only problem I have with God is how he would come into being in the first place. There is the issue that time exists only within the universe and God could exist outside of it, so it's tough to say if he has a beginning or if it's possible to have been there forever.

#55 Argentwing, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  16. Hexagon

Can causation still apply if there is no time?

The problem of something out of nothing is faced by both god and the universe, both religion and science, and so solving it for one solves it for the other.

17. CyclingFan

I like the Homer Simpson version of this:

Could God microwave a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it?

18. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And Flanders' answer: "Well, I suppose...he could...but...wow, as far as melon-scratchers go, this one's a honeydoodle!"

19. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

As long as that is god willing to take me up as his/her/it's/their partner, it sure would be worthy of my love! :grin:

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I admit I have an incomplete understanding of both causation and time, but I would guess not. Causation makes sense as long as time goes in one direction. When it doesn't, though, things get weird really fast.

One day maybe we will have the answer. But particles have been observed to spontaneously generate and disappear on the quantum level, so I won't discount that the universe may have come into being even without a divine creator.