The L Word

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ClosetNixie, Oct 3, 2014.

1. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What a series!! I've recently finished it and wondered what you guys thought?

Was it suicide or murder for Jenny? Did anyone else realise that in all the opening credits, Jenny did an Ophelia pose on the bed under water-like effects!? I always knew she would drown but oooooh the suspense on what happened! Who dunn it?

SPOILER ALERT

Aww Bette and Tina getting back together was the cutest thing, I'm so glad they worked it all out.

This show has really been the biggest influence to me and helping me in my journey of figuring out who I am, I mean, how can you not get off to some of those scenes!? :icon_wink

Also, who else thinks that 'Lez Girls' should actually be a film? But without the terrible Hollywood ending...

2. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

The show influenced me a lot when I was first questioning. I saw it during it's run. It was the first time I saw two women have (pretend) sex and that blew my mind! Suddenly everything made sense to me. Also it helped me realize that I could be gay and still be feminine as the only lesbians I knew of were butch.

Personally, I think Jenny fell off the stairs leading up to Bette and Tina's newly constructed bedroom. If you recall there wasn't enough railing on it.

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gah, I should've known this would have spoilers! Jenny dies? Nooo! :frowning2: I stopped reading at that point, I need to stay out of this thread, because I'm a slow watcher and it takes me a couple of years to finish watching a series.

It's like my favorite series ever, though! Couldn't help checking out this thread.

4. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I suppose the bit about femininity is one of my worries about being gay, I'm not exactly all skirts and frills - in fact my so called "fashion" is pretty much jeans/trousers and nerdy t-shirts/shirts but I do like the odd bit of makeup and keeping my hair long, flowing and feminine. Because of this I really identified with Bette and her dress/fashion. She rocked a suit but remained so pretty and girly at the same time, I love that!

I know the stairs weren't properly barred, but that's why I think she was pushed or she jumped. Everyone was mad at her by the last episode.

Sorry for the spoiler Leryous!!

5. Q-Tip

I thought you guys were talking about Scott Pilgrim and got REALLY CONFUSED!

6. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^^ LOL :lol: That comment has really lightened my mood! Thank you Q-Tip!

7. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

You should wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident:slight_smile: I guess we will never know what happened to Jenny, unless Ilene Chaiken reveals the truth.

8. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree totally, but its nice to have someone to look up to :slight_smile:

Hopefully we'll find out one day!

9. blackandgold

Hahaha oh man, this show. I watched The L Word after coming out because I thought it was like a rite of passage for a young queer. Watching it at 15 and then watching it again when you're 22...two completely different experiences. Who would you cast for Lez Girls?

10. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I found that it really helped me start to discover who I might be, I think if I do end up coming out I'll watch it all again and see if anything changes.

Hmm that's a tough question! I think Nicole Kidman would have to be Helena or Bette.

11. TheStormInside

It seems heavily implied that Bette did it, the way she made that speech about protecting her family at any cost. But I prefer to think it was suicide. That's what I assumed was going to happen when we first saw she died, and I thought the season would be uncovering the reasons behind the act. She clearly had the tendencies and I would rather not one of our main ladies be a murderess.

I both liked and disliked the show overall. I really liked seeing all these out and proud women living their lives and not worrying about being closeted or being shamed or anything like that. I disliked the way they treated Max, and anyone who was a bit different from them. You'd think gay women would be more empathetic to others' differences. All the cheating got old after awhile, too.

12. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I completely agree! I loved Max to pieces and was so proud of him and how he handled everything...

SPOILER ALERT

...especially the pregnancy :slight_smile: He'll make such a wonderful father!

Again, I agree. At first it scared me that maybe the lesbian world was just a huge pack of women who steal each other's girls and don't seem to care... But I soon realised that it was exactly the same as the non gay world: people will cheat, people will lie and people will get heartbreak - buts that's just life. Rainbow coloured or not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

13. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I hated the cheating and all the one-night stands! It really bothered me because it protrayed gay women in a negative way.

14. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think it suited Shane and her complexity and issues, bless her. But some people really didn't suit the "player" stereotype.

15. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

It was okay to have one of the characters be a cheater but ALL of them? It was too much.

16. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I totally agree! (*hug*)

17. TheStormInside

I agree. With Shane it made sense, that was her character. But it became painful to watch pretty much every single woman destroy her (usually) good relationship by sleeping around, over and over again.

18. ClosetNixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Definitely, it's just sad that they've done it like that because it doesn't give off the best impression of the community.

19. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

It's definitely made me weary of dating.