How much of a hippie are you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HappyGirlLucky, Oct 3, 2014.

?

How much of a hippie are you?

1. I'm a vegan and I meditate.

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. I'm a vegan and I don't meditate.

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. I'm a vegetarian and I meditate.

4 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. I'm a vegetarian and I don't meditate.

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  5. I'm an omnivore and I meditate.

18 vote(s)
    22.8%
  6. I'm an omnivore and I don't meditate.

40 vote(s)
    50.6%
  1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That collection of ties would toss you out from the ranks of hippiedom. No doubt!

Some of those meats are a stretch for me, especially alligator. I've heard it tastes like chicken. Rattlesnake is supposed to taste like chicken, too.

I think it has gotten harder and harder to define what a hippie is since so much time has lapsed since that era. It's possible that the characteristics are being mixed up with those of new age types, hipsters, and other more recent clusters or prototypes. I think that there will always be some type of "alternative" ways of acting, thinking, and dressing that will land people on the hippie side of the fence!

2. blackandgold

I'm too elitist to be a hippie. Boo.

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Omnivore and I don't meditate. Combine that with my political beliefs and you pretty much have the anti-hippie.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm an omnivore who prays regularly, but I'm also trying meditation, so I chose option 5.

I've had a few tries at vegetarianism, but I've always lapsed, but I haven't given up, giving up. I'm sure I will try again. Being a vegan would take too much out of me though. :slight_smile:

Hippy? Nah.. I'm too conventional to be a hippy (but I do love them).

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting results. Thus far almost a quarter of us (24.25%) seem to be vegetarians or vegans, that's quite a bit more than the average in America or Europe.

I found a cool map with stats for most countries:
    World map of Vegetarians by country by Country - TargetMap

India is (unsurprisingly) way more vegetarian than America or Europe with 40% of the population not eating meat.

Edit:

Exactly 1/3 (33.33%) of us seem to meditate. I'm not sure where this falls on a national or global average, but compared with the people I know it is well above average.

#65 HappyGirlLucky, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  6. Hexagon

I absolutely fucking loved meat before I stopped eating it. When it became unconscionable for me to eat it, I quickly found I preferred vegetarian and vegan food. This surprised me; I'd prepared myself to just not like food as much.

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's one person I know in real life who I never would've thought would even entertain the idea, much less actually become a vegan but when his girlfriend decided to go vegan he did too. He now says he finds the idea of eating meat slightly disgusting. This is coming from a guy who previously said things like "bacon and eggs is a real breakfast" and "if there's no meat it's not food". I found that very interesting. It would seem what we eat grows on us no matter what it is. :confused: It makes sense from an evolutionary perspective, though. "I ate this several times, I didn't die, it's awesome!" :lol:

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's exactly what happened to me. I hated dark meat for the most part, but I loved fish and poultry.

I still sometimes want to eat fish, but I refuse to cave in. I don't want my taste-buds to rule over my morals, even if I fish it and kill it myself.

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an omnivore and I occasionally meditate to clear my mind. I think there are a few more things that would make me a hippie though (feminist, environmentalist, I'm a "social justice warrior" according to people on Tumblr) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Hexagon

My problem is cheese. Vegetarianism was easy, but veganism has been much harder.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always liked cheese, but I never had a great addiction to it. Fish has been the hardest thing to give up for me, without question.

What you've got, a difficulty removing dairy, is a very common problem, as I'm sure you know.

12. Hexagon

Yes, I'm aware. In fact, I think there is supposed to be something addictive about it, cheese in particular. I never liked fish, my family used to make me eat it though, so it was a great relief when I could refuse it. Anyway, I may miss cheese, but I'm happy enough to give it up.

13. kem

kem

Blue cheese and cottage cheese. And bulgharian yoghurt. Oh god how I wish soygurt could match the flavour.
    I don't have any cravings though, I'm fine not having either.

14. Aquilo

Chicken tikka was really easy to give up for me. The chicken doesn't actually contribute much taste to the dish and can be replaced with things like 'vegetarian meat' and lentils or chickpeas. Add enough spices, herbs and stuff like cream and tomatoes and fried onions and you won't notice the lack of meat at all. :icon_wink

---------- Post added 4th Oct 2014 at 10:19 PM ----------

There's a difference between tasting like an animal and tasting like a good tasting animal. Generally vegetarian animals taste good, omnivores/carnivores taste less good and fish-eaters taste revolting..

Not that this is a very good argument to eat meat, because according to this reasoning we'd have to eat young veganist humans and babies too because they taste so good. :icon_bigg

15. Hexagon

I always prefered gammon, and apparently humans would taste like pigs.

16. RAdam

17. edgy

edgy Guest

I don't think those entries describe a hippie

18. Aquilo

I've actually tried to find some scientific sources on the taste of humans some time ago, but strangely enough there haven't been scientific studies on this subject and only some anecdotes. Those mostly mention that it indeed tastes a bit like pig. However, most of these accounts were from 'primitive' tribes, starving people and before the 50's. But human diet has changed quite a lot (It was more normal to eat only meat once a week and not several times a day like now) and diet actually changes the taste.

Eating more meat will quite probably make it taste less good and meat which contains more fat will taste different too (not only from the fat, but fat also contains a lot of other flavours because those dissolve into the fat). So the modern (slightly overweight) human will probably taste a bit different than the more common victims who were most likely starving.

19. Candace

I'm an omnivore and I don't meditate. But I do have notions of living in San Francisco :lol: :grin:.

20. Hidden

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am an omnivore, but I don't want to be. I'm just really irresponsible with food and need to be careful. I had pretty terrible anorexia, and I've only just got a good enough handle on it to actually feel hunger. Cutting out meat would mean I would have to make special meals for myself and I'm scared I just wouldn't bother.

But I'm excited so many people meditate! I am slowly adapting my life to a lay-Buddhist lifestyle and it has been a truly amazing experience.