1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News First Ebola case in USA

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by piano71, Sep 30, 2014.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that the general public is safe, but the stories coming out about how this was handled is of some concern:

I could write a book on how bad many electronic medical chart systems are, but this is a serious case of poor communication. I hope every hospital on this continent will learn a lesson from this.

I also read comments stating that he was uninsured or had less than adequate insurance and so he was discharged earlier, but this appears to be speculation, unless someone has heard otherwise? Does this happen often?

2. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the USA, emergency rooms are often swamped with long waits because uninsured people can't afford to go to a doctor until symptoms become life-threatening. As a result, they have to do a lot of hasty triage in emergency rooms.

Even for those of us with insurance, I see more and more that doctor's offices are mainly run by nurses. The last time I had to go in, I didn't even see a "doctor" at all. A nurse handled my case from start to finish.

I don't know if the hospital altered its treatment plans because of the patient's insurance status. But it's pretty common for hospitals to make a rapid and inaccurate diagnosis and send someone home after a couple of hours, rather than thoroughly testing for every contingency.

The hospital is going to lose a ton of money because they had to treat an Ebola patient who is not covered by private health insurance. The recent health-care reforms ("Obamacare") still rely upon the private insurance industry rather than providing taxpayer funding when an uninsured person becomes seriously ill.

3. Vaettfang

I'M GETTING ONE OF THESE OR ELSE MY ASS IS GRASS![​IMG]

4. whatsyourdamage

The fourth case of Ebola in the U.S. is a resident of my city, Providence. It's shaking us up, not gonna lie :/

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the first patient with Ebola in the United States has died :frowning2:

Not looking good.

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm paraphrasing a comment I saw on this story: We have one Ebola patient in the US, and people are already wearing masks. Meanwhile, we have more than a million people with HIV, and still fools don't feel the need to wear a condom.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Meanwhile one ebola dog in Spain got 300,000+ signatures protesting it's death. It has been put down and now they want the resignation of people responsible.

Un perro en Madrid ha generado más movilización y noticias que miles de muertos por ébola en África. Para reflexionar.
    — Edu Madina (@EduMadina) October 8, 2014

"One dog in Madrid has generated more mobilization and news than thousands of deaths from Ebola in Africa. Something to reflect on."

That's depressing for me, honestly. We need to stomp out ebola in Africa like yesterday but I guess the US is going to be covering its own ass for awhile first, now.

8. photoguy93

That is a great quote...I think we need to spread that around!

---------- Post added 8th Oct 2014 at 06:21 PM ----------

I am just beginning my career in nursing. I love the field, I do, but I see how things like this can happen. People get busy and mistakes are made. The computer doesn't know all and it obviously made a mistake here.

On top of that, I believe this man was kind of sneaky about getting here.

I'll add that Ebola is scary, obviously. However, we've had some people come here and live! That's really important to realize!

9. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whew, a close call was averted. The sheriff's deputy in Dallas who had an Ebola scare tested negative for the virus.

It's also been more than a week since Thomas Eric Duncan was hospitalized, but no reports yet of any of his relatives falling ill. This would be about the time symptoms kick in if they were infected (though they will be quarantined for 10 more days).

But the situation is still dire in Africa, and a few cases have been exported to Europe.