1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender equality and conscription: should women have to sign up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree :eusa_clap

2. White Knight

Army is a place for men. Women should stay in their kitchen and do what God ordered them to do, bear little soldiers for God's Army.

*ducks behind the cover*:grin:

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least we don't have conscription or 'Selective Service' here. If our national security is threatened, it will by air or water anyway. I'm looking at you, Russia.

4. White Knight

Hitler says hi with his ultimate mega tunnel plan. Maybe it will be Mole-man, Ruler of the Underworld.

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hans Moleman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scary indeed.

6. thekillingmoon

I think they should do some kind of testing for it to see who does well and who doesn't. Pick people with the best physical attributes who do well in combat situations. If it were me, I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a battle.

7. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess they wouldn't have time for that, but not everyone drafted would have to be in combat. I wouldn't last in it either -_-

8. Hexagon

I disagree with conscription on principle. But if it must exist, then women should sign up too.

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This x2

10. White Knight

I was thinking about this. However yours wins with scary factor. :grin:

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Conscription should not exist.

12. Hel

Hel

Same view on the matter.

13. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get rid of conscription altogether. Period, end of story.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

its a real shame ill never be made to go kill brown ppl and get ptsd about it because i am overweight and mentally unstable *signs for conscription*

*government gives my waddling neutrotic ass an automatic weapon in the war against moldova, 2021* awesome

15. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really curious to see what a thread called "Gender equality and constipation: should women have to sign up?" was about. I think I need to take reading comprehension classes. :eusa_doh:

I agree with this 100%.

16. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

You just made my day :grin:

17. DMark69

Having served in the US Army, I can say that it is hard enough to lead people who volunteered to serve. Volunteers are much more effective than conscripts.
    Having said that it is a solution of last resort. Before conscripts are ever called up, we would have already exhausted our volunteer standing military, and the Reserves and National Guard as well. We have not used the Draft in the US since Vietnam, and I highly doubt that it will ever be used again.
    Even if people are called up, they must go through a physical to see if they qualify for military service. Many in the US will not qualify because of overweight, or fitness issues.
    If there ever is a callout for a draft in the US again, the best course of action is to volunteer for a position that you want to do, rather than be conscripted as an infantryman, and handed an M4, or M16.

18. 741852963

I think the existence of Selective Service is one of the biggest gender rights issues in America (in my opinion the biggest), yet its so often brushed under the carpet.

It should be abolished or everyone should have to sign up, at present it is undeniably sexist.

Following Roe v Wade, American women are slowing gaining the rights of control over their own bodies...men haven't even got this yet, they are treated as pure cannon fodder.

The treatment in other countries is similarly appalling. I think Switzerland is a prime example. Men have to delay their education or career progression else face harsh penalties. Conscientous objectors are pretty much interrogated, forced to do demeaning work as a substitute and I believe face an economic fine as well. How on earth this is allowed under the confines of the European Convention of Human Rights is beyond me. To be honest if I was in that situation I think I would be rebelling by moving to France.

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

You've just reminded me of a brilliant Onion sketch on Don't Ask Don't Tell:

[YOUTUBE]'Gays Too Precious To Risk In Combat' - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

:lol:

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It's ridiculously difficult to get in the United States, but I was able to obtain conscientious objector status. I was sat in a room, with two people, and just grilled, back and forth, about why and whatnot. They tell you, you can't use religion as an excuse, or "I just don't think/believe/feel it is right", because they aren't acceptable reasons. You have to have a reason, and it has to be logically sound, and void of emotion.

Even though I got it, I think I'd have rather spent those two hours in jail, than go through that again. I felt like I was in boot camp. The officer I had to see, a little after I turned 18, got so pissed at me, that he threatened to turn me in to the authorities, because I had waited a week after my 18th birthday. This attitude didn't show up, until I kind of wiped the smug look off his face, with my answer, as to why I wanted conscientious objection. The other officer wasn't too thrilled either, because he kept trying to convince me, that America needed more names, so they knew they'd have the means to victory.

That last part bothered me. Badly.

Anyway, I second the whole 'conscription should go, but if it is in place, everybody needs to sign up'.