1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should public Schools Provide Condoms?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Sep 20, 2014.

?

Should public Schools Provide Condoms?

1. Yes, from middle school onwards

53.2%
  2. Yes, from high-school onwards

39.0%
  3. No! Them kids will go wild, and have crazy sex and orgies. Bad idea.

7.8%
  1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. Kids will definitely abuse them if the school just hands them out (condom balloons, anyone?), and schools shouldn't have to cater to kids' sexual activities (as MintberryCrunch put it).

However, I agree with the "go to the health center -> condom get" idea, as it's less embarrassing than going out and buying them, and free condoms = less STDs and accidental pregnancies. Better safe than sorry, but I don't think schools are the best place to provide condoms. Besides, public school nurses (in America, not sure how it is elsewhere) can't even give out cough drops and ointment. What makes you think that they're qualified to make sure kids use condoms properly?

#21 An Gentleman, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  2. Techno Kid

I'm all for this, grade 7 onwards.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, from 6th grade onwards.

:wink:

#23 BryanM, Sep 20, 2014
  4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those who say nay: They're a school. Let them also do what they're supposed to do: Teach them how to do it, instead of making it a taboo. Of course, don't let the condoms go without regulations, though. Make it something you'd have to pay with your Student ID for. If you misuse a condom, then let them not be able to use it for.. Maybe a month. Perhaps permanently, if it's completely misused, and it's obvious they're not going to use them for sex. I'd much rather have a school that's clean because we know how to use condoms properly than to have the school I did have, where STDs were treated like trophies.

5. Techno Kid

Hey don't out liberal me. :wink:

6. Gen

Gen

I chose not to enter a spot in the polling because the available options are saturated in bias.

Should an academic institution have a right to provide free condoms for their students? Absolutely.

Should institutions providing condoms become a matter of standard or regulation? Absolutely not.

I am completely in favor of academic institutions being able to provide as much as they can for their students outside of academics; however, especially within the first world, the education system has become far more institutions becoming second or third parents to up-and-coming youth, rather than adequately serving their most basic purpose. Sexual education should definitely be a factor in secondary school curriculum, but the idea that it should become the duty of academic venues to provide sexual protection seems misplaced. A proper sexual education would include making students aware of their options when seeking these supplies. Requiring them to supply condoms is no less unreasonable than requiring them to supply various school supplies.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So not at all unreasonable.

8. Techno Kid

Exactly and they should provide school supplies too.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, we don't need any more girls getting knocked up. It may help a bit. I know there are places that give them for free, but really? I don't think it would be that unusual for a kid to feel uncomfortable asking for condoms, even if their is no reason to be. Therefore, they should just provide them without even asking if they want them. Heck, I still feel weird buying condoms/going to clinics for free ones and I'd rather do it online. But they are expensive to BUY, so I just mooch off my sexual partner, hehe.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "But it doesn't matter because that would shred our moral fabric and our nation would go to hell!" /sarcasm

I say yes. I'm a pragmatist on this sort of thing. You can take that bullshit "high road" on this sort of thing but don't come crying to me when the problem of teen pregnancy keeps getting worse.

On a more positive note, 4,100 posts!

#30 AwesomGaytheist, Sep 20, 2014
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I never understood the being embarrassed about condoms-thing. I can understand, maybe, being ashamed, because sex has been drilled into people, that it is unclean and bad, yadda yadda. But embarrassing?

I used to enjoy being asked to buy condoms for people. It made for hilarious and ego-boosting conversation:

Me: Uh, yeah. I need some condoms.
    Clerk: Oh? Big night tonight?
    Me: Yeah. It's a struggle, keeping people off of me.
    Clerk: I can only imagine. You're getting a lot of condoms.
    Me: Well, baby, I've got a lot of lovin' to do.

LOL.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, if anybody needs condoms, let me know. I'll gladly do it!

12. Gen

Gen

Living in a ideal world where education was actually a basic freedom, rather than the vastly imbalanced and polarizing privilege that it currently stands as, than I am sure that I would sympathize with that sentiment; however, until we get to a point where education isn't a luxury of a minute fraction of the human population, I will not feel the slightest bit of sorrow over the fact that these already immensely privileged youth aren't having their condoms and mechanical pencils, both of which are readily available to them through other means, hand delivered on their desk tops personally.

Maybe we are viewing things from conflicting points of view, but my stance is not that it would not be fortunate for institutions to be able to provide these things for their students if they so choose, but do I believe that it is a grave injustice they aren't? Not even slightly.

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i also think, perhaps first and foremost, we should actually have the children of age learn what condoms are and what they do and safe sex and how to use them properly and why and etc because really i flew threw school without knowing any of that because it wasn't required ever

texas

14. sugarcubeigloo

I voted this, but a simple "no" will suffice for my answer, thanks. *smiles*

If a school brought in condoms to give away, I wouldn't be protesting to get them out. However, what I think schools need more of is effective and correct sexual education (inclusive of all orientations). Let's get that figured out first.

I honestly believe a well-ran sexual education program is more important than just handing out condoms.

Now, do I think American public school shouldn't ever hand out condoms? No. Just not right now. I don't have the conservative extremist view that teachers will hold parades down the hallways while tossing condoms around like candy. I understand that it will probably be handed out in a discerning way (though nurses and counselors, probably).

I just believe that some parts of the United States, the education system isn't ready for the responsibility of handing out contraceptives without messing it up in some way on a massive scale.

#34 sugarcubeigloo, Sep 20, 2014
  15. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahaha! I was just thinking the same thing! The first time I went for my pap at the health department, they gave me the brown bag full of condoms. And I wasn't even sexually active at the time. But they gave them to me "just in case." I showed the bag of condoms to my boyfriend at the time, and he said "good lord that is a butt load of condoms!" LOL! And I don't see a problem with public school providing condoms. Abstinence until you are older and emotionally ready for sex is a good idea. But raging teen hormones often get the better of waiting... so educating teens and even preteens on safe sex and providing condoms is NEVER a bad idea! :slight_smile:

16. Candace

Yes, of course!

17. Even if the kids will go wild, at least they'll be have protected sex.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'd say this thread can be wrapped up.

Oooooooooo, I'm fuckin' terrible!

19. Hel

Hel

Where I live, you have one hour of sexual education every school years from the start to middle school to the last year of high school. During that hour, the nurse explains to students how to have sex safely, what are the consequences of having sexual intercourse (protected or not), what's the deal with the pill... And at the end she gives out condoms.

The first years, most of them were used as balloons, students were embarrassed and no questions were asked. Then, the more we grew, the more (anonymous) questions were answered and less condoms were found on the floor.

The pregnancy rate where I live is very low. I don't know anybody who had an unwanted pregnancy before their twenties. I don't know if this is related to our sexual education or not (explaining what sex is and how to prevent bad consequences from an early age) but I think it's better than not to talk about it because they are "too young" and will "never have sex if you don't talk to them about that".

20. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes.

And provide access to them where no one will monitor it because it will probably make some teenagers feel too awkward to be seen getting one and therefore, won't. It's about making it easier to get, so we create less events of unsafe sex happening.

The worst that can happen is that kids will muck around and blow balloons or put them on bananas or something, but so what? That happens even if a price has been slapped on it in a shop anyway...