1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My daughter told a friend that she's bisexual

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by lbgt4memee, Sep 15, 2014.

1. lbgt4memee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    please help!!!:bang:
    i am 37, straight, female. today i found a text message in my daughters phone where she told a schoolmate that she was bi. It is my impression that bisexuals are equally sexually aroused by men as they are by women. is this true? Physically?
    I great portion of my problem with this does not come from an anti-gay place in my mind, its just hard to grasp what makes a girl that likes boys think that she should become sexually active with a girl. It has been my experience that young girls are made to feel like they must be gay if they can tell another girl is attractive. Soooo... I thought i was gay well into my freshman year in college but then i realized that all the other girls were just lying and everyone could tell who was "aesthetically beautiful" (based on social norms.) how can i help her discover her truth and how can i open the door to this conversation without scaring her, since she is obviously keeping secrets from me and does not feel open to tell me. I have tried being very approachable during convo. and i often bring up issues of sexual relations.(for Years). I blame media and society in general. just so you know i believe some people are born gay, some people become gay due to life experiences and/or choices. I don':help:t really know a good way to describe my beliefs about bisexuals so i wont try. please tell me what you think i should do and/or definitely not do.:help::help::help:

2. tumbler

Re: Falling for and KISSING my straight best friend

lgbt4memee - Hi! Umm since I'm not bisexual it's gonna be harder for me to help I think? I know I didn't choose to be gay it's just something I realised about myself along the way.

Okay first let's look as sexuality. I DO NOT believe sexuality is black and white at all. It is a spectrum. Let's look at my experience with "Rob" - seemingly 100% straight, yet we still ended up kissing quite passionately with tongues. Sexuality is not clear cut. Kinsey described it as being on a scale...just becuase she says she is bi doesn't mean she cannot A) lead a "normal" life as she might end up with a man anyways or B) Have some personal privacy. Listen to this from a 17 year old guy - when I text stuff like this to my friends, I expect privacy. I do not expect nor want my mum going through my stuff, and if she did I would be seriously angry. I don't look at her pin numbers, I don't go through her handbag, I don't go through her texts - the same goes for my dad - I would be very angry. How did you end up reading the text? You definitely should NOT be going through her stuff like this unless you are seriously concerned for her.

Back to the point, Kinsey said sexuality was a scale, she might be bi - but only like girls a little bit, compared to guys where her preference lies. Or it might be her preference lies with girls. How old is she? Look, you thought you were a lesbian back in your freshman year, and that solved itself out, so why won't it for her? You have to understand she's a growing girl and she can sort stuff out herself...the reason she texted her friend and not told you is because us teens...we understand each other....we can identify with each other...she's telling her friend because her friend will understand, and knows what she is going through RIGHT NOW, because her friend is also a teen. That's what we do. She isn't keeping secrets from you, she just isn't ready to tell you, and as a mother you should be prepared to understand that. If you need help about it, well you did the right thing coming here - talk to other mums on here, see what they say, if you need to have a rant about it all, do it here, blow off your steam here...wait for your daughter to come to you. From my own experience, I KNOW it HAS to come from me, and NOONE else, or that's it. My "big moment" is ruined.

Yes society may have played a part. Even if she likes guys, being sexually active with a girl could just be curiosity. I've been curious with girls, but I know it's not something I'll pursue when I'm older, cos I really really really genuinely deep down like boys. What I'm trying to say here is that, maybe she is just attracted to a few girls, and wants to see what girls are all about, but might eventually just like guys again. Don't be so worried, so much worse could happen...just let her deal with this in her own way..don't intervene...if my parents did I would be so so mad at them, and feel so mad at myself, ontop of struggling with the confusing sexuality - don't create unnecessary stress....

Anyone else (blueskies) have anything else to add??

3. lbgt4memee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

Tumbler - Thank You! I'm so glad that you are a teenager.(!) ( Don't mean that in a creepy way) I am trying to say that i greatly appreciate an unfiltered response from a teen. My daughter is 16, a senior in HS. I don't wanna make it seem like i'm all about me so first i want to comment on some of the things you said then ask a few more questions. First and most concerning: Why wouldn't i go through her stuff? it seems absolutely crazy to me to think that there is any reason i should not feel welcomed to go through her stuff. ( i bought it. every last piece of it. And i made those little fingers she plans to use it with. (lol - jk - no really, i'm serious.) I know right now you think i'm crazy or stupid but don't give up on me, try to understand what i'm about to explain then if you think i'm crazy - fine please just tell me, then tell me y.
    See people (family members, significant others) don't have a problem with that kind of stuff (accessing private items) unless they have a problem already. Me for example my baby knows where stuff in my purse is that i didn't know was there. I don't exclude her from anything except things that are negative or inappropriate. for instance when she was young i owned a gun. i kept it locked in a closet she could not open. I felt it was for her own good. Same thing with horror movies, all the kids watched them starting in the 2nd and 3rd grade. She was not allowed. But she never had a nightmare. I mean ever until she was in 6th grade but that was about a bear and she was heavily invested in the discovery channel at that time. Our conscious thoughts feed our subconscious. parents usually make decisions based on the perceived benefit of the child. Everything i do is for her benefit. people hide things that are hurtful, deceitful, unjust or unlawful. When people Love you you shouldn't hide the truth from them - unless they are crazy or abusive or something like that but just generally speaking, how is lying or hiding helping? People who really love you will always love you. They may not respet your decisions but they will still love you. im a mom. her mom. im here to help. ok if i dont know anything about a specific subject im still a good go to girl- should be the number one choice- cause i have an excellent record of resolution! Really i have resources available to me that her friends cant provide. i can make it happen. so where she is talkin to people that dont really know cause they are trying to figure it out themselves i can make it possible for her to interact with support groups, counselors, physcians, therapist. who ever . somebody that can help her understand the choice she is making. i know its not like she is going to fizzle up and die if she acts bisexually then in the later years changes her mind. my point is this: because im old i have the privilege of looking back at the choices that i and my associates have made over the last 20 years and i can make reasonable suggestions based on this knowledge allowing me to guide her away from the problems that i can. i cant protect her from everything the world has to offer but at least i can save her from the things that i know about. im saying during the formative years most sexually active people will engage in sexual relations with some people that they will later look back at wishing that they had never gone there. im pretty sure it works the same way in the lbgt community as it does in the straight community. even if it was a boy i still would suggest not having sex but only having emotional relationships. Even if you are not abstinent they offer a lot of good ways to gain emotional rather than physical satisfaction.most people want to feel the emotion of love which compels them to seek it sexually. also, i have spoken at length with her about this (because i work in the emergency room) there are so many sexually transmitted diseases that will completely destroy any plans for the future a person may have. many diseases are treatable yet not curable not only HIV will stay with you forever. i see so many girls with genital warts, most of them never even knew about genital warts, let alone that they could prevent her from ever getting pregnant which by the time they are 30 they might care a lot about. its the same with driving, teens start driving but lots of them kill themselves and friends siblings and strangers only blocks from their homes. That's why good parents send their kids to drivers ed., spend time being chauffeured so the kid can get familiar, its a way to prepare and protect the children. im open i need her to see that it is imperative for her to be open as well. i am the best friend she will ever have. no one on this earth would do more to see her happy. i have been watching a lot of uploads from gay people today a lot of Ellen and a lot of coming out stories. it seems so sad. the world is too hard to not be able to trust the person who gave you life and loves you to death.
    i guess what i'm trying to say is if she does feel attracted to someone-talk to your parent so they can help you sort out stuff because even though you are not a kid you are not a senior citizen. get help from someone older who cares. The first person i asked what to do about this situation with my teen was my mom. Again i'm 37. but that is my mom. she will never just act like a hater and try to hurt me for no reason. somethings she says do hurt but i know (now) that she is telling me to help me. when i was younger i felt like she just didn't understand anything so i did everything my way. in retrospect i can not think of one single major issue in my life that she wasn't right about. but i only know that because it has already happened. i didn't know back then but my mom never really tried to talk to me she only spoke at me and i never listened. but although her delivery sucked. the message was always right on point! - now i know.
    I definitely dont want to make any additional stress but i can i not leave her confused and alone nor can i leave her in a closet- no one should have to be in a closet. Shame is a powerful thing it will ruin a life. She can not be ashamed of her self and happy at the same time.
    does this make sense? if so, what could i say to you in this situation that wouldn't ruin your moment and upset you, but still allow room for conversation?

4. blueskies

blueskies Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Hi, lbgt4memee! Here are my two cents, for what it's worth.

I personally want to stress that I think you should let her come to terms with her own sexuality on her own, if that's what she wants. I'm just speaking from my own experiences but to me, coming to term with my sexuality on my own was very important. I couldn't really explain to someone else what I was feeling or thinking. It was a process that took quite a while for me. I didn't have anyone to support me back then since no one knew but looking back, I realize I wouldn't have wanted any support. I want to stress that it's great that you want to support her, but I think you should be careful so that you don't force your help upon her by accident. Now, you've found out that she's bi by accident so I don't think you should tell her you know since you're not "supposed" to know yet. I think there's a reason why she hasn't come out to you yet, and I think you should respect her decision by not talking to her about that. What I think you can do though, is telling her that you'll always be there for her no matter what and let her know that if she wants to talk about anything, she's always welcome to come and talk to you. Now, however, if she decides to tell come out to you, I think you should let her know that you want to help and support her but make sure it's up to her to come to you if she feels like she needs/wants the help. By the sound of things, your daughter doesn't sound like she wants your help at the moment so be patient and let her come to you in her own time.

I get what you're saying but maybe that's not how she perceives things? Maybe she finds it beneficial to talk to someone who's also figuring themselves out because they're equals in that sense, or maybe she's even able to figure stuff about herself out while talking to someone who's going through the same thing. I get where you're coming from, but I don't think you need to worry just because she chooses to talk to someone else that isn't you. It definitely doesn't mean you're a bad parent or that she doesn't feel like she can talk to you - maybe she's just looking for a different sort of help than you can offer her. I know from personal experiences that talking to my friends is sometimes easier than talking to my parents.

I don't doubt that for one second. I think you're a good parent but sometimes the best thing to do is just to give her space and let her figure out stuff on her own while letting her know you'll always be there for her if she needs support.

As for going through her stuff - I personally don't believe doing that is right. I mean it's *her* stuff, whether you bought it or not.

People also hide stuff that isn't bad, but that they think is private. like, for example, a diary. People sometimes hide stuff simply because they feel like they're not ready to share it just yet, which probably is the case with your daughter and her sexuality.

Also, going through her stuff, like physical stuff that you've bought, is different from reading her texts in my opinion. Her conversations also include another person and by going through them, you're also going through someone else's stuff. private stuff that her friends might have told her and no one else but her because they're not ready for other people to find out just yet.

As for her sexuality, that's probably what I can identify with the most. I'm bisexual with a preference to guys. I only figured myself out when I was 23 and I fell in love with my best friend. I'd spent my whole life thinking I was straight but I apparently wasn't. In hindsight I can see that I had crushes on guys when I was younger too but I didn't acknowledge them then. My boyfriend's even more heterosexual than I am - I was the first man he's ever been attracted to, and I'm probably the only one too. Like tumbler said, sexuality is more of a scale than anything else. For me, 8 times out of 10, I prefer guys but I still call myself bisexual simply because I once in while am attracted to a girl.

I'm definitely not saying you're guilty of this, but parents of bi kids seem to often think that their kid's orientation is just a phase and that it'll pass. Only your daughter knows how she feels and only time can tell if she'll always feel like this but it's best not to assume that this is just a phase. It's her sexuality and she knows better than anyone who she's attracted to. I would also be very careful with assuming that she's just 'experimenting' if she starts dating a girl. What people in general don't seem to get is that bisexuality isn't about promiscuity; it's about emotions. I don't think I'm attracted to a larger number of people than your average guy is, just because I'm bi.

When you talked to her about STDs, I hope you also told her how to protect herself. I mean if she uses protection, she'll be fine. I don't think stopping her from having sex is the right way to go because that'll only make her want to have sex even more. Talking about safe sex is probably better.

Wow, that got quite long, sorry. I again just want to stress how important it is for you to remain supportive of her while letting her come to terms with stuff in her own time. I know how hard backing off can be but I think that's the right thing for you to do right now. I think that's what she needs. You seem like a very good parent because you obviously love your daughter loads and you really care about her! :slight_smile:

#4 blueskies, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. tumbler

When I first read this I was a bit skeptical...I believe everyone deserves privacy still, even from parents...however, from later stuff you have read I can tell you are a great mum, especially because you are so protective over her. My parents are amazing parents, but what you say here shows that you really want her to be open..in a way you remind me of the relationship I have with my older sister so I know where you are coming from now...but I still think you could be more regarding to her privacy:/

I agree with you here. Can I ask you? What do you think then makes people gay? In some ways your daughter is lucky to have you as such an open mum, as with my parents I could never speak to them about this because they don't accept it, it's the ONLY thing they don't accept. I remember I tried telling my mum once before (she really is so loving and caring btw about everything except this) and she said she wished i had told her i had gotten a girl pregnant instead :L

If you asked me...I wouldn;t bring it up head on. Tell her "if there's anything going on, you can tell me." Or " I've noticed a change in your behaviour recently...if there's anything , absolutely ANYTHING bothering you, you can tell me in confidence." She might get the hint?

6. tumbler

lbgt4memee - I agree STRONGLY with blueskies about coming to terms with sexuality being a VERY PERSONAL thing. I don't want anyone interfering with it at all, it's my journey, and it's something I HAVE to control/deal with/ come to terms with by myself. Any other people's input just confuses you SO much more and you end up not knowing what to believe. It might make things awkward for her. I wouldn't bring it up. See my post above for the closest you can get to actually bringing it up, please. It wouldn't be fair for me to advise to bring it up, for if I was in your daughter's shoes, I would HATE the person on emptyclosests who gave you the nudge to do so.

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2014 at 10:23 PM ----------

lbgt4memee - Another thing...I'll admit that I didn't actually read blueskies' response to your message before because I was more preoccupied with giving my own advice, but he has literally said EXACTLY everything I would have said if I had written more. In fact it is almost as if he STOLE the words from my mouth ahahah :wink: I think what me and blueskies have written is very accurate of ANYONE going through sexual confusion or realisation if that makes sense. What I'm saying here is that...you may have thought you were gay in highschool due to social construct...but maybe your daughter isn't bi due to social construct..but it's just something she was always predestined to be.

7. tumbler

Jw if any you got that lgbt4memee??

8. lbgt4memee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Tumbler/ Blueskies: 1st Thanks so much for all your help. i wrote this really in depth response that has taken me all day but i have been writing in secret. so every time someone comes around i stop switch screens and help them this is time consuming and frustrating, somehow the whole thing i wrote is gone, i admitted in my lost response that i am not very tech savvy. I was telling you that because you guys were both concerned that i had evaded her privacy - oh what i said about that was pretty important i will try to recapture the highlights of what i was trying to say. 1) i saw the text when she gave me her phone to use because my phone is broken. (boating accident in the toilet.) it was already on the screen. i scrolled and read it. i probably couldn't have found it on my own. but i feel like im suppose to find stuff and make sure its appropriate. like checking you halloween candy. sometimes you gotta let go of a few loosly wrapped suckers. its my job to make sure they dont get eaten. also babys dont want you to hold their spoon they wanna do it alone. but no food actually gets in their mouth. so sometimes eventhough they cry cause your hand is on the spoon too and they want to do it, they still need your unwanted help. and its your job to provide help and if you dont, u will go straight to jail. try telling the police your baby starved cause she wanted to feed herself so you let her be in charge. see how that works out. its just a real to the point example of how i feel about all this its her moment, its her privacy crap. im glad i said that i reminded me of what i said earlier. (on the deleted one)
    Privacy: 1st i wanna say the descriptive terms of dialect are very important. if there is no word in a dialect to describe the thing or activity it is most often not a part of that society. for example approximately 50 or 60 years ago the Japanese culture did not have a term in their dialect meaning kiss. The activity was frowned upon by their society and the mouth was seen as a harbor for germs and disease -(which that is true)
    The culture adopted the English term for the action kiss it is pronounced "kiss-suh" even today most older Japanese people frown upon the activity. it is only a cultural difference, like how Americans greet with a hand shake and many Asians bow their heads instead. the point is there is an actual meaning to the word privacy: (according to Webster's office edition 1996) privacy means : 1.Seclusion or isolation from others. 2.Secrecy. none of that seems like the way social humans want to be treated. im not saying everyone's the same, but i think most people would rather be accepted and loved as they are, rather than be secluded or isolated to be able to exist as they are.
    Closet talk:
    there has been a lot of mention of these closets that everyone has all packed full. it seems to me like there's nothing in there but shame. No one should have to live ashamed of who they are. i believe we are all gods children an each one of us has something beautiful to contribute to society. not only gay people have these shame filled closets. I have done a lot of things in my life that im not ashamed of. Great example i stripped. not just once. i was licensed, i have pictures in the clubs, i only did this as a college job approx. 10 -15 times in my life but heck you get naked abot 30 times each time you go. its something that i did. i was young and when i look at the pictures its hard to believe that my body looked like that. 4 pack and all. im not ashamed but. back in the day an individual was able to maintain some "privacy" these photos that i have will never be leaked to TMZ if i decide to become president they wont be the reason i loose. but now days everything a kid does is recorded for ever!!! its not fair. Cause at a regular company not even a major corp. or a really lucrative position, at an average paying job this kinda stuff matters. Want to work at the bank? it will never happen if you have bad credit. want to supervise children or teach? shouldnt have slapped that dumb girl now you have violent tendencies and will never be a social worker, or a medical professional etc. Adults need to step up and protect the children from themselves at this point. i said it before they will steal your dreams before you even have a chance to dream them. If sexuality is as much a part of you as your arm, then the media pushes people to believe that you should start tattooing at 10. & that it is socially acceptable to remove your fingernails. & True its still your arm at 25 when you have a sleeve of tattoos and no nails on your nubs, & u are still the same person. and although discrimination is wrong, you will be required to keep that arm covered at work no matter how hot it is. & no your life is not destroyed because of this, but yes at 25 you no longer feel that barbie is the best and no longer feel that's a good motto for you. historically no other generation has been forced to keep all the proof of every choice they ever made in a bag to display every time they arrive. but for the kids of this generation there will be no escape. big brother isnt just watching anymore, now hes recording and he will rip out that video any time he chooses for the rest of your life. its too much to have to face alone. i am going to talk to her about the whole issue. you guys have been super great. thanks. they made me a thread - my daughter said shes bi or something like that. so i will let everyone know how things turn out . Again Thanks

Tumbler: im sorry to hear that your message wasn't openly accepted. but that's the thing about giving a speech, you must conform to the needs of your target audience. For example if you want to explain why you love jam to 1st graders. you would talk about the way it tastes, what you like to eat it with, who gives it to you and how they can get some. You would not describe the process of preservation which allows the berries to not ferment & become alcoholic. When you talk to people start where you think they understand, check if they are following you, if not back up and start a little farther back, take it slow, some of the smartest people are hard to explain things to cause they are too busy accessing all the information they have stored in their brains on the subject. be willing to try to talk more than once but don't just give up. one conversation can change your whole life. - My mother 64, just told me 37, that i need to learn to listen so if i could need to still learn so could your mom and dad. maybe the label is what is hard to accept. try not talking about your label but about how you feel about stuff. start with songs, media, pictures, movies. Tell them why. critical thinking discussions provide insight on point of view and attitude.
    Most of all when they say stupid stuff, and they will. Don't take it to heart. Don't hold it against them. Breathe and explain that what has been said hurts, and why. good luck

9. wolf of fire

The first thing I'm going to say is you don't have an issue with bisexuality but does she know that? And going from personal experience I have to ask would you make a big deal out of it? I don't mean in a negative way but in a positive way such as a coming out party and trying to get her LGBT friends? Because she may feel you might do that and she may simply not want that, she might just want to go "I'm bisexual" and you to just go "great" and nothing to change.
    I agree with blueskies and the others who have posted you are a great parent for coming here

10. lbgt4memee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    @ wolf of fire : HAHAHA LOL!!! its so funny that you said that. I stopped trying to make her do things she didn't want to long ago. (ok there are a few things like cleaning her room and unloading the dishes- she still has to do it. she can take forever, she can drag it out weeks in a row if she wants but she can not go play until its clean. it will stay that way as long as shes here.) I have never forced a birthday party on her but i did give one every year, bootleg entertainers and all. but one year she said she would rather do an activity just me and her so we did. Of course she knows a party's always an option for any event.
    seriously, i have thought about a lot of different aspects of my personality that may be the cause of her keeping this issue a secret from me. What i have concluded is i may be a whole lot of things - asshole,weirdo, doe-doe, silly, sweet, what ever. i am me. and i am her mother and how ever i am she just has to deal with it. if she has a specific problem with something i do, like im not understanding or i told someone else or what ever. we would have to just come to some kinda compromise about the way things should be done and then try as hard as possible to behave in that way for the benefit of our relationship. but i definitely get what you are saying. i hope that she knows i would never force her to be friends with a certain group or specific person. BUT. i most definitely would contact educated individuals who openly identify with being lbgt or a minority to help her have access to help and positive examples of success. There are lots of doctors, lawyers, military, athletes, politicians i mean you name it there is a successful lbgt person. i will make it my business to find out who these people are what they do and any positive resources or avenues that might be associated with them. As a black person i think it was very important to be aware of the contributions black people have made in my country. Also, i'm a woman i have done a lot of out of the box type hobbies historically thought of as guys jobs. I think it was fundamental to my own personal evaluation of self worth, to have female role models urging me to try.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 06:03 AM ----------

Can i please ask what does pansexual mean?

11. wolf of fire

Pansexual means gender is not an consideration for us, we date non-binary people who do not identify as male or female. I think I get what your saying, the best thing to do is show support for LGBT, it is bisexuality pride day on Tuesday that could be something you could raise in conversation.

12. ElvenDragon

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to go ahead and add in my two cents as well.

I honestly would just leave her be. Unless she seems to somehow be struggling with her self in someway, I would leave her alone. What I would do is let her know (in a subtle fashion, such as what wolf of fire said) that you support LGBT people. This way, if she does get the courage or want to tell you herself that she is bisexual, she knows that you will accept her. If she does come out, I wouldn't press the matter any further unless she wants to use these resources.

And to further wolf of fires definition of pansexuality (or how I identify as pansexual) is that I generally don't see gender or sex an important part of a relationship. Some pansexual a use the term "gender blind".

13. Etak

I'm just going to echo what everyone else is saying; let her be. Seriously. I know that you're her mother, but her sexuality is really none of your business. It's obvious that she's not that comfortable with many people knowing yet. It's scary realizing that you might not be straight. I seriously doubt that she would label herself as bisexual just to "fit in." From what I've seen, it makes you stand out. Even if she's wrong about herself, so what? It wraps back around to the whole idea that it really isn't your concern. I get that you're her mother, but she is a person that deserves to have a private life. Please give your daughter space to grow and figure things out for herself.

14. lbgt4memee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    elevendragon /wolf of fire: WOW. first, i have never even heard the term pan-sexual before. From what you explain the first impression i had was these must be the most non-discriminatory, liberal people on earth. I wonder how it is possible to not form opinions? how do you meet someone and not notice the outside of them? i cant help it. I think the truth is many stereotypes stem from a common thread in social behavior of a particular culture. for instance there is a stereotype about blacks having greater athletic ability than other races. this is simply ridiculous. but statistically a large portion of the professional athletes world wide are black , which means that a lot of black people have good athletic ability. I think i get it though, like you wear pants because they feel good not because of what they look like or who they were made for (men or women)?

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I would just give her space if she isn't out to you and let her come to you when she feels comfortable.
    Not all women are gay/bi because the media teaches us women are attractive. Some straight girls think girls are good looking, some gay girls think men are good looking (in a non sexual way) and some gay girls don't even think most women are that good looking. It's more of a sexual pull than what society brainwashes you into believing.

16. lbgt4memee

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    @Tumbler:
    Again Thanks. I cant find where you asked but some where you asked why I think people are gay. I guess my best answer is: for different reasons. I believe some people are born that way. As small children they are all super sweet. i think all people are loving creatures by nature and only when deprived of physiological needs (food, water, shelter base of Maslow's hierarchy stuff.) do they adapt and change. you see it in the choices they make. all toddlers are loving, small children too. some adolescents are just drawn to the opposite of what society expects of their gender. These people i believe are the "born gay-ers" then i think some people decide to live a gay life style because they have a better experience (maybe they attract abusive males but great females) with that group. i think these people are decide to be gay people, also there's a brainwashed gay category these people i think have just gone with the trends flow, i know everybody says its hard to be gay. i can imagine that, but also it seems like it might be easier if i didn't have so many requirements for my love for example if i just had to find a person to love me then i would have the whole population to choose from but if i like men i only have like 45 percent of the population to choose from, which seriously diminishes my chances of finding this bff-love muffin that i have wanted my whole life. i think these people are seduced / brainwashed into taking the quickest route to some form of happiness. like all the rest of the trends that society adopts waves of people just going with the flow.
    since ive been on this site i have found out a little about a lot of stuff like pan-sexual. i think people just want to be free and happy and that manifest in a whole lot of different ways.
    my opinion is ever evolving i think that is my best advice also keep an open mind to discovering who you really are, what you enjoy , what is important to you, and how that stuff effect what you think you might want out of your future. Don't be afraid to dream and imagine - that's where i think all good plans start.

17. Water lover

Water lover Guest

Well as a teen apparently I am the only one that thinks you didn't go out of bounds or doing anything un ethical when it comes to your daughters phone. That being said your opinion on um "brainwashed" as a gay teen doesn't really bother me but there are some pipeline on this site that probably view that a lot more offending than I do. Personally if I were your daughter I would honastly just want you to just leave me alone. You said she was a senior and she is 16 do that means she is doing advanced courses and such. As someone in a very similar situation trust me unless her mood is drastically changing she doesn't need any support. The best thing you can do for her is stay supportive and wait for her to come out. Then as long as they arn't the umm pray the gay away type of associates tell her. In all reality she probably just wants to live her life like any other teen. Sence I can see in your long replies that you care very much and their is probably a good home environment along with her academic success. She probably has a lot of her personal life planned out better than what you could ever imagine analyzing her actions over and over seeing if she is going to slip up or when she is going to come out. She'll be ok and if she says she is bi then she probably is.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2014 at 09:24 PM ----------

Oh and on the topic of you only having around 45% of the population to choose from. According to the bureao of data and statistics about 1% of the population is lgbt so umm I have a .1% of finding a gay guy my age lol being lgbt doesn't make it easier to find love so I am totally confused by your brainwash theory nothing about being lgbt is easy. We get screwed over everyday.

18. Blossom85

I think the main issue with society is that it is drilled into us that being straight is what we are, is what is considered normal.. So for most people, they tend to like the opposite gender as it is what society has demanded and considers normal. So if you yourself are straight, of course you are going to have issues with wondering how someone can begin to think of themselves as wanting to be in a romantic and possibly sexual relationship with someone of the same gender as themselves. For myself, it is as normal thinking of wanting to be with a woman as it is breathing.. Not all bisexuals just want a sexual relationship with someone of the same gender, it could just be that they feel more comfortable with someone of the same gender. I myself although identity as bisexual and I can see myself pursuing a relationship with a man or a woman, I do have a preference for being with a woman and not just sexually.. The same way you feel a desire to be with a man, I have that desire and it is possible that your daughter has those feelings as well..

I suggest just let her be and let her come to you when she is ready to tell you.. It is a hard thing to express in words to a parent, even if you think your parents will be supportive like myself, I was still so nervous and scared to think I might disappoint my parents, been if they never verbally vocalize that to me. It is something she may have just discovered herself and if she is like myself, it took me a good two years to fully understand and come to terms with and accept it fully, so I didn't want to come out before I was been sure myself.. I think it is a good thing she feels comfortable coming out to a friend, she has someone she feels she can turn to and talk to about it.. Some might see it as a betrayal, like why couldn't you tell me but you could tell your friend.. Don't think that way because accepting who you are is tough enough without the stress of wondering what your family is going to think and how they are going to react. It is a really scary thought and if you force her to come out before she is ready or confront her, then there will be resentment and also she might not trust you in terms of privacy as well..

At that age, I would have been devastated at the thought my parents saw what I was writing in confidence to someone else.. That to me is like going through someone's diary. If it was already opened to the text message and you just happened to see if as you were putting clothes away etc, that is one thing, but for people who go into anyone's personal things with the intention of finding information, that is just a breach of trust and privacy in my view.. So I don't think it would be wise to tell your 16 year old that you saw what was in her phone regardless of how you came to see it, she would be embarrassed and feel betrayed.

19. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am a parent and I agree with this. I would never go through my daughter's phone or her private things.

20. StillHere

I only read the OP and it seems like you may have a hard time grasping bisexuality.

It is often not a 50/50 feeling, but more something along the lines of 30/70, 60/40, etc. Something like the kinsey scale may help with this : Kinsey scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also know that it is fluid, so right now she might feel 50/50. But through puberty that might change.