Clutter or cleanliness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Sep 13, 2014.

?

Clutter or cleanliness?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2015.
  1. Clutter

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. More cluttered than simple

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Middle of the road

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. More simple than cluttered

13 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. Downright minimalistic or thereabouts

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Something else

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have never understood people who like clutter. Even if tidy, I can't stand a place that has all these trinkets and objects all over the place. For others, their garages or even main rooms in a house are full of stuff and very disorganized.

I like my place fairly simple and without too many things. It's not completely bare, but it's closer to minimalistic than it is to clutter by a wide margin.

Which do you like or how do you keep your place or room?

Also, if you have any clues as to why people like clutter, chime in. A friend of mine tells me that people who like clutter have other major issues going on.

2. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure you would be appalled by my home. I have 'stuff' everywhere. But I know where anything I own is in the piles. I can find it in a minute or two. I have books that I'm reading or that I consult (dictionary,etc.) under my bed. I prefer not having to dig through neatly stacked boxes that are in the closet. (Just realized I used the phrase 'in the closet'). I am not a hoarder with stacks of old newspapers to the ceiling. I am perfectly happy this way.
    As to your friend and his opinion, I believe that people who obsess over neatness may "have other issues going on"

3. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I have stuff everywhere too haha

You'd hate my room. It's pretty messy these days as well

4. AAASAS

I feel more comfortable in homes that have stuff all over the place. I don't like dirty, but walls covered in pictures, shelves covered in random stuff, make me feel more relaxed.

A super clean, organized house with minimal decorations for some reason makes me feel like I'm in a hotel, and it's harder for me to relax, because I feel like I might dirty the place up.

I like a house where if I spilt something, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

5. Ryujin

If I had just moved in on my own then I would make my rooms clean and tidy but if I joined after then I would probably stick with the messiness as long as I know where everything is.

6. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like messy or disorganized--my best friend's house always had stacks of papers and books all the over the place and it seemed a big mess to me. But then compare to my grandmother, who collects antiques and trinkets and stuff--it's all very organized but it is all over the place. There are no bare walls in her house--pictures and decorations everywhere. I love going to her place--so much interesting stuff to look at. So I probably do prefer to have a lot of stuff, as long as it's organized and there's room to function.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate spotless households. They drive me insane.

I need at least some clutter in both my living and workplace to operate effectively.

8. Candace

I hate clutter. It makes it really hard for me to find stuff that I need and to navigate around the place.

9. BiShoegazer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The more chaotic the better is my philosophy.

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i like it clean. i have the time to keep it cluttered (not enough)

have been working on reorganizing my closets on restless nights though. it is nice!

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Huh, almost everyone else in my family is the same way as you. It's like as soon as something *can* be done about a dirty plate or garbage bag, they *must* fix it, whereas I'm more oblivious to my surroundings and put pleasure first.

It's not so much that I enjoy clutter, and instead it's that I don't pay much attention to it, minus those short bursts of spring cleanings, or whatever.

That said, slightly messy areas show sign of human life; they've always seemed more "natural" to me.

12. Peter Pansexual

13. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Less is more. Minimal, functional, and neat.

14. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

I'm messy but, it's because I have minimal space to put my belongings... It's just enough to fit 2 singles bed in here.

15. KazTastic

It's not clutter, it's Organised Chaos.

I'm not a big fan of clutter, but I can't be stuffed cleaning up and sorting the paperwork that accumulates on my desk.

16. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a borderline hoarder. I barely throw away anything. I keep thinking it'll have a use sometime in the future, but in reality, it just doesn't.

So my room is horrifyingly cluttered, but I want that to go away. Even after cleaning, it still seems too suffocating. Maybe because I can barely walk around, because the walls are too close. The furniture takes up, I don't know, 4/5 of the place.

EDIT: As for liking clutter, I used to be like that. To me, it gave me a sense of security, having all that stuff around me. And for some reason, I lose more stuff when I clean than when I leave it in a pile of trash.

17. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    depends what day it is cleaning & washing day is Sunday's

18. Gfig

Gfig Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My room is clean because i just cleaned it. But it quickly becomes a mess within a few days. It just makes me depressed when i see a mess. But when you have to get to school at 6:30, balance the homework, tests and studying from 5 AP classes and take care of a whole bunch of poison dart frogs plus hide the fact that your're gay that stress really gets to you. After all is said and done i have only the time to shower and sleep.....barely.

19. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do like the satisfaction of seeing everything clean and uncluttered, but even the inside of my car's a cluttered mess.

Lets be honest, we all like a bit of ruff!

20. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not really one for decorations. However, judging by the large quantities of videogames, books, and cluttered drawers, then I'm also pretty disorganized. At the same time, I am capable of organizing my things if I get too annoyed with the chaotic mess in my backpack/closet/etc. Either way, I have no idea where I'd be on the scale.