Is 30 too late?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by oscarneedslove, Sep 4, 2014.

1. oscarneedslove

I am 29 and soon to be 30. I am not sure if I am too late to come out of closet. I have never had any sexual relationship whit a guy and I fell like I am already too late. But I also feel like I have a teenager in me who always have crushes on many guys and dream about dating with them. that makes me feel really bad.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    son, if 30 is too old how old do you thing 47 is, LOL start now and move forward. i have things on hold for a little bit till my divorce comes through but then it's ever forward, one step at a time.

3. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's never too late to come out of the closet or reveal your true self. Best of luck.

4. discalcedtierce

No, I don't think so. I'm 28 and have recently started to come out to a few select people. I do wish I had done it earlier, but I'm happier that I have even come out at all.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever age you figure it out is the right age FOR YOU. Unleash the teenager in you and don't waste any more time like I did.

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you come out now you will spend the majority of your life as an out gay man. You haven't really missed much, relationships in your 30's will be much better than earlier less stable years. I know you feel sexually stunted right now because you have the dating experiences of a 12 year old, but trust me that feeling will pass quickly. A year from now you will be indistinguishable from any other young gay man. :icon_wink

7. FortunateSally

I certainly hope it's not too late! I'm 29 and married with a kid. Onward and upward.

8. ccdd

ccdd Guest

No, it's not too late. I'm also 30. I think that we grew up in a different world - and that those who are 40 grew up in a different world again, and so on. There wasn't much opportunity to come out until recently, in my experience.

I came out to my parents at 25, and whilst I'm virtually fully out, I'm not in a relationship and I'm sort of starting from the beginning.

But you might have some 60-70 years ahead of you. It is certainly not too late! It might be harder, if everyone assumes you're straight, but on the other hand it might be easier, because you might be financially independent etc. and more confident in yourself.

As for feeling like a teenager: I do think it's true (for many gay people at least) that when they finally come out they experience a second (or first) adolescence in terms of being attracted to people etc. I certainly feel like that!

9. TwinNumber2

TwinNumber2 Guest

30 certainly isn't too late! We all come to terms with it at different times! :slight_smile:

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No - definitely not too late !!

11. Given To Fly

Oscar, I was 31 when I came out. I haven't looked back since.
    Go for it, and good luck (*hug*)

12. Holly82

No way! I'm 32 and just realized I'm actually a woman. On the one hand, everything in my life that has been so difficult just got a lot easier. On the other, I have new challenges to face.

Early or late doesn't matter so much as happy or sad.

13. quietman702

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    hello Oscar, glad to read your post today. 30 is not too late!!! Don't be like me and put it off until 55. I support you in what ever decision you make, wish you light and love in journey.

14. offmychest

offmychest Guest

totally normal. it's not too late.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 31 and I don't want to waste any more time... You don't know for how long you are going to live, you know...

16. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    29 here and still barely out. Never too late.

17. TrueBlue8228

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    28 and finally figuring out I'm gay!

Never too late! And that teenager feeling you have is just what you missed out when you were younger!! You should see me when I go out with my friends to the gay club! I act just like a teen!! hahah

TB

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Thirty is perfect.

A few more years and you are eatable for me. LOL

Seriously, waste no more time. I buried myself in the closet at age 34 with marriage and kids and just dug out. Get out NOW!!!!!

I was on the verge of coming out, I took a flamboyantly gay date to younger brothers wedding (temp roommate) but not finding the right guy found a woman.

Wish I knew why it is easier to find stable straight men and woman, even a woman to marry, than for me a gay man, to find my definition of "stable" in the gay population. Straights don't need a picture of your chest, abdominal, or genitals to be friends. That is a different chat.

My advice, get out there now and be patient. The gay population is small, can be covert, can be shallow (see: stereotypical) but good people are out there. It only takes 10-20% to create a stereotype and then those stereotypes flood venues (see app that shall not be named). Good news is 80-90% of gays are good people not associating at negative stereotypical venues.

You will meet your match in the real world, just don't be too covert.

Later,
    Tom

19. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi OscarNeedsLove

First welcome to EC, it’s a great place to help you sort out your feelings.

No way is 30 too late; I was in my mid 40s when I began to question my sexuality and it took nearly 10 years before I was able to come out to myself and then, with some help from those on EC, to my wife of 25 years.

I think the feeling of being a teenager again is normal, and some would say a necessary part of becoming who you really are. Unfortunately for many who discovered late all those failed teenage romances and heartaches also have to be worked through in your gay adolescence before you find “the one”, so get started.

Please don’t hesitate, as long as it’s safe, to come out of the closet and don’t waste your life like I feel I’ve done.

Have fun in becoming who you really are. (&&&)

SGG

P.S. I’ve just joined an Icebreakers club at my local LGBT centre that helps newly out gay guys start to gain confidence and meet other gay guys in the community to build their own support network of friends in a non-sexualised environment. Perhaps such a group exists near you that you could check out rather than trying to meet folks with those smartphone dating apps.

#19 SaleGayGuy, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  20. Blossom85

I am the same age as you and came to that realization at age 27.. I think there is no age that is too late to come out and realize your true self.