1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Harry Potter fans here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Randomcloud, Aug 30, 2014.

1. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I love Harry Potter and the wizarding world (despite it's many prejudices and dangers e.g. don't get me started on those gigantic-ass acromantulas) and I was sorted into Ravenclaw~

I dislike Ron, Ginny and Dumbledore for many reasons, of which I don't want to list because then I'll rage lol.

I thought Snape's role was utterly vital and I doubt anyone will ever really understand how much he sacrificed. On the other hand, he was a douche but then again, I didn't like Potter Senior that much either.

Hated Pettigrew the most, hands down.

Ultimate faves are Hermione and Dobby. T_T I cried for a good hour when I read about Dobby's death in the Deathly Hallows.

2. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I cried for Dobby too. I just found out about the Noble Collection. I am SO getting a wand! Childhood dream. I was so desperate for a wand when I was younger that I broke off a small branch from the tree in front of my house, cut away the bark, and painted it brown. But now I can finally have an actual wand! I'm thinking either Hermione's or Luna's. I'm leaning more towards Luna because the handle on hers is so pretty.

3. I'm Ravenclaw. No surprise there, I'm eyeballs-deep in academia pretty much constantly.

Not a huge fan of the movies, to be perfectly honest, but I love the Harry Potter books deeply. I'm actually reading them out loud with my partner, although it's been slow going lately!

Also, I own a time-turner necklace. Which now that I mention it, I need to find an excuse to wear!

4. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

You should just wear it! No excuse needed:slight_smile: Show your Potter Pride! You are the first person that I've heard doesn't like the movies. May I ask why?

5. Randomcloud

Haha I'm not really a fan of Ginny either...especially in the films :S Yes, Snape and James were both "heroes" with some bad traits. Nobody is 100% good or evil and I'm glad the serious showed that (in most cases anyway..)

6. stormborn

ravenclaw represent!! :grin:

7. MycroftTARDIS

I LOVE HARRY POTTER!!!!! A lot of my friends say I'm Hufflepuff, and the Internet is divided between that and Ravenclaw, and I agree with it.

8. Nekokoneko

Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely! I grew up on Harry Potter so it's pretty important to me. I was sorted into Hufflepuff and I'm pretty proud of that. Everyone said Hufflepuffs are lame and so I was really upset at first. People assume I'm a Gryffindor because I come from an entire family of gingers. But my younger sister is a Gryffindor and my older brother is a Slytherin. But now I'm proud to be a Hufflepuff we're pretty chill and stuff it's nice.

9. Mikoto

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gryffindor >:L

10. TrueColors

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gryffinclaw!

11. idream

idream Guest

I am hufflepuff! I knew I was, then I took three different tests<3 smart, hardworking and accepting:slight_smile:

12. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

I agree about Ginny in the movies--her character was pretty awesome in the books, but she had no personality in the movies and hardly any lines for that matter. If anything I probably relate the most to Hermione as a character. I always thought Lupin was really cool and didn't get a fair shake.

13. rhapsodic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gryffindor (!) (!) (!)

14. Okay I guess I should clarify a little bit about the HP movies biz
    I like a few of them ok, but I thought some of it was over acted and there was stuff that was changed or left out that probably shouldn't have been. Now that can be put down to movies and books being quite different mediums, and that's fine but it certainly doesn't mean I have to like it or agree with what was changed or cut.

Also, and more importantly, I didn't care for all of the casting and I could NOT believe they changed Lavender Brown from being a black girl to a white girl as soon as she was important to the plot. That's infuriating and awful and I won't stand by something like that.

15. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

Thanks for elaborating. I respectfully disagree about the casting though. Everyone (at least the most prominently featured characters) were exactly how I pictured them in the books. HP is one of the few film adaptations where I felt they did an amazing job but to each their own. There were a few scenes I wish had made it onto film though, such as the Weasleys meeting the Dursleys when they take Harry to the Quidditch World Cup. That would have been hilarious! I also really wanted to see Nearly-Headless Nick's birthday party!

16. transnerd

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know I've seen the meme going around about Lavender Brown being played by a black actress prior to the last couple films.... but I've watched all the movies over and over, and I have yet to see any indication that the one actress was even supposed to be Lavender. She was just an extra in the background. They never once alluded to that person being Lavender, she had no lines, she didn't hang out with the Patel sisters in any of the scenes... There's no proof that she was supposed to be Lavender.

Furthermore, considering just how multicultural the cast really was (accurate to the book), this one non-existent thing seems sort of nitpicky. If they had really wanted to make some sort of statement, they would've made Cho Chang white and changed her name. Worse things have happened in film versions of books. (like the movie 21 for instance--it's a true story based on almost all Korean people, but the actors in the film are all white. Talk about whitewashing.)

17. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of years ago when I was at Kings Cross Station in London two tourists asked me where they could find platform 9 3/4. I felt kind of awful telling them that it doesn't actually exist.

18. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My avatar is me drinking Butterbeer at Harry Potter World studios!! Well worth a visit if you are in the UK. Diagon Ally is excellent! The detail is incredible and there are little signs that could never be seen on film. Every wand for all characters is different as well.
    Butter beer tastes like caramel flavoured cream soda if you want to know!!
    Just did the test, Hufflepuff.

#58 doinitagain, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  19. LovelyBunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
  20. Jenna0780

I got Gryffindor.