1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proportion of women and men you find attractive

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ClimbHikeBike, Aug 26, 2014.

1. TheStormInside

You sound exactly like me (though in reverse, I've worried that I repressed attraction to men because I have realized I repressed attraction to women so long, it's like, what else is my brain hiding from me?!)

I've kind of realized that the constant "testing" if I respond to men or women is getting old and is probably not healthy, I keep coming out with the same result. Occasionally there might be a slight feeling for a guy, but it's absolutely *nothing* compared to what I feel for women. At this point I feel like I am attracted to women and not so much attracted to men, though I am trying to remain open if some guy comes into my life and sweeps me off my feet, so to speak. It's just a heck of a lot more likely at this point that that "guy" will instead be a girl.

I mentioned my repression fear to my friend, and he said it's of course possible, but if I am only just feeling these feelings now, when I started to let myself have them for women, and I'm still not having them for men, it seems fairly unlikely. There are so many things now that have started to make sense and "click" for me like they never had before. Simple things that other people take for granted. The idea, for example, of people loving each other and throwing themselves at each other physically when they know it's a bad idea has just NEVER made sense to me until now. The fact that so many married couples have *zero* objectively in common, yet get on perfectly well and are so happy together. Things like that totally eluded me. As did the actual feeling of sexual attraction. I realize now that I had to play along a lot when it came to picking guys to "like" and celebrities to fawn after. The feelings I thought I had in common with everyone else were not in reality what they were experiencing, what they experienced was much more. Does any of that resonate with you?

2. ClimbHikeBike

@Fallingdown7: Thanks for elaborating!

Ok, makes sense. I can't say I've experienced this, though :confused:

I'm with you on finding a baby or a cat attractive without any sexual thoughts entering into it. I think that's what's happening to me with women, but since sex between a man and a woman is obviously totally acceptable (and expected!) in our society, it takes a lot of courage and certainty to accept that one is totally the opposite of what's expected.

This is very true. I like natural-looking people as well, and the men I'm attracted to are generally cute (rather than stereotypically "hot"), authentic, down-to-earth people. The fact that many women put so much work into their appearance does make them pretty, though, (up to the point that they put too much work in and it just looks fake) which fuels my confusion.

I'm sorry to hear that :icon_sad: Big hug!!! (*hug*) This absolutely makes sense though, and I'm also unlikely to crush on someone unless I know we'd be compatible.

This. I think this is what I'm doing. The fact that nothing will happen makes it easier to just casually think someone is attractive without considering the "whole package" that's involved with actually being with them.

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2014 at 04:08 PM ----------

@TheStormInside: Holy crap, we're like the same person!!! (!) (!) (!)

This is me as well. It's unnerving, isn't it? I always thought I could trust my own private thoughts and feelings, but since I came out to myself about four or five months ago and started questioning (strange order of events, right?) it feels like I can't trust myself. It's scary.

I'm also constantly "testing," and I agree, it's tiring and I wish I could make myself stop. Yeah, what I feel for girls is nothing compared to what I feel for guys. I'll remember a hot guy, but I won't really remember a girl even if I did think she was very attractive when I saw her. Like that lifeguard at the beach yesterday, for instance. Oh, he was dreamy :grin: There were probably good-looking women at the beach too, but he's the one I remember.

I'm definitely looking for a relationship with a guy, and that combined with a strong sexual attraction to men is probably enough to identify as gay and move on with my life. Yet I'm still here questioning because it's hard for me to take the leap and say that I will never feel anything for a woman.

My sister said exactly the same thing as your friend when I told her about my fear of repression. I totally agree with you on things "clicking" too. Before I acknowledged to myself that I like men and started seriously considering a relationship with one, I never understood why people wanted a significant other or why my friends talked about hot women. I didn't understand what sort of connection could make them so crazy about it. Well, now I know. Homosexual attraction is the only thing that made it through the walls I built when I was repressing, so I guess that should be one of my biggest clues.

So yes, everything in your post resonates with me. Thank you so much! I guess I need to calm down and try to accept the fact that it's ok to feel whatever I feel for women, and just make sure that I'm happy in whatever relationships I have.

(*hug*)

3. Dakeli27

I typically like more androgynous people, not very masculine guys or very feminine girls. I think I kind if do have a type, but I will be attracted to people outside of that if I like their personality.

4. TheStormInside

When you say you "came out to yourself" do you mean you acknowledged you were not straight? Or did you decide you were gay, then start questioning after that?

But, I know what you mean. I keep getting hung up on it, it feels surreal. I know I've not been attracted to men in the past. Now I realize I'm attracted to women. But my brain keeps saying "what, nope, you're not gay, stop trying to convince yourself of that." Maybe it's because I spent so long trying to "prove" to myself and others I wasn't gay, I effectively brainwashed myself :eusa_doh: .

I know exactly what you mean and I have the same problem. I guess maybe try to remember that even if you identify as gay if some woman comes into your life who totally turns your world upside down you don't have to ignore that! A label is for communication's sake but people are complex and so is sexuality in many cases. This is something I've been trying to remind myself, as well. I was told I have been trying to "pick a label and force myself to fit it" and I think that was unfortunately an accurate assessment and I'm trying to let go of that mentality now still. For me, "gay" may not mean exactly the same thing as it does for someone else, and likely that's the case for everyone. I have small attractions to men sometimes and can admire them romantically, but I don't want to sleep with them. Some lesbians have no attractions to men at all. Some are sexually attracted but don't want relationships with them. The same goes for gay men regarding women, too.

I've both desired and tried to have romantic relationships with guys, but in retrospect even some of the things I thought were romantic I just didn't feel for them. No physical attraction, and there was never that *need* to be with them all the time that people always seem to have, despite the fact that I loved the guy.

So are you saying that you've felt attraction to guys for some time but just denied it?

I think that's a great way to think about it, and talking about this with you has helped me some, too, so thank you as well!

5. DahliaDaisy

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can find men attractive, but not enough to want a relationship with them. I would find more men attractive in a room than women, but if I was attracted to a woman the attraction would be far stronger than that with a man. The women I have found attractive in the past, I have been attracted to everything about them. I also find myself more attracted to them if they are openly lesbian/bisexual. With men, I may just like their face or body, and if I liked one thing I wouldn't then suddenly like everything.

6. ClimbHikeBike

I pretty much said to myself, "Wow, I'm gay," and I can honestly say that at the time I wasn't putting any pressure on myself to fit a label. While I was repressing sexual feelings I of course kept myself from thinking about attraction, and the result was that any attraction I did feel was totally natural and strong enough to break through my defenses. There were some times when I thought I liked girls, but those were while crushing on guys, and I think I knew even then the attraction wasn't quite real. So when I came out to myself, being gay was the only thing that fit; it didn't make sense for me to think I was bi given my past experiences. But then the emotional roller coaster of accepting that started down the track, I began to actually think about attraction, and shit hit the fan.

Mine too :frowning2:

I especially like the bolded bits here. True, and well put. I need to think this way more often.

This is something I never understood, but I do understand it now that I know I want to be with a guy. Yay!

Kind of... For most of my life I haven't felt any attraction. I didn't understand other guys' attraction to women, but I also didn't think I was attracted to men, so I figured I was a late bloomer or something and didn't think about it. That was the start of me repressing sexual feeling, not that I knew I was attracted to men and wanted to hide it. When I look back to high school there are things that might have been attraction to other guys, but they weren't strong enough to definitively classify as such. The thing that led to me coming out to myself was a huge crush on a friend during college. From the moment I met him I knew I wanted something more than friendship, and it was a long-lived and intense crush. All while I was still repressing :bang: So from the beginning I wrote it off as not leading to anything and I never considered acting on it, which probably kept it from getting even more out of control. However, I knew full well that I was very romantically and sexually attracted to this guy, but somehow didn't do the math for like two years...

Glad to hear it! You're awesome, and I can't thank you enough for your thoughts on this stuff. EC's a pretty cool place :slight_smile: I've been trying to follow your Sexual Attraction Synonymous with being "Turned on"? thread because that's one of my big questions too, but I haven't been doing a fantastic job. I shall go take a look again.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2014 at 10:24 AM ----------

Ok, cool, thanks. I think with me and women I tend to just find their face or some other attribute/feature attractive, so I know what you mean.

7. FortunateSally

With men, I can find them attractive if they are objectively hot but I always thought it was normal because of our cultures focus on the physical beauty of women to just think women were more attractive in general. But like... Here's an example with celebrities. I think Kristen schaal is sexy as hell... I would never think of a dude celebrity that goofy and weird in sexual way but on her it totally delights me. The difference I see is that I can intellectually find both sexes attractive but it's women that I stare at and find something cute about a little belly or a big nose, frizzy hair, or a slight gap in the teeth. Not just tolerating it but actively find it adorable.

#27 FortunateSally, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  8. TheStormInside

Sounds like a very classic example of overthinking, then! (Of which I am also profoundly guilty). What prompted you to have that initial "Wow, I'm gay" realization?

You sound so much like me. I also thought I must be a "late bloomer" and when I still hadn't "bloomed" so to speak into my late twenties I thought I may just be asexual, or attributed my lack of sexual desire to my other mental health issues. Yet when I actually allow myself to think about it I had crushes on girls as early as 11 or 12 :icon_redf . Of course I had no idea it was a crush at that age, but if I think about how I behaved it certainly was one! Same goes for a crush in Jr. High/High School on a friend, though at the time I did consider I might be crushing on her I pushed that thought way way down.

I understand what you mean when you say you repressed but didn't realize it, as I did the same. One of the first things I realized when I started questioning is that I was constantly "correcting" myself when I'd find my attention wandering to attractive women around me. "No, that's not who you're supposed to look at, that's a girl!" Additionally I kind of "trained" myself to pick out hot guys. Not that I don't enjoy a good looking gentleman of course, but it's just not so often or immediate as the draw to women seems to be.

9. ClimbHikeBike

The immediate cause was my crush on that friend I talked about. I was thinking about him one day, and it all hit me – I had never liked girls, I had never been totally sure that I was straight despite identifying as such, there had been some feelings in the past that could have been mild crushes on guys, and now I had a huge crush on a guy. It connected a lot of dots.

I also went through a brief period of thinking I was asexual, and by brief, I mean like three days. One day a few years ago it occurred to me that I might be asexual, so I Googled around, read blogs, watched videos, and thought about it. I concluded that I wasn't asexual because I did (and still do) want sex to be part of my relationships, but at the time my sexual desire wasn't directed at all. Somehow I knew that I could experience sexual attraction, but it hadn't happened yet. I didn't realize that was because I hadn't accepted the possibility I could be attracted to men.

I know it's common amongst pre-acceptance LGBT folk to correct themselves when they find themselves looking at people of the same sex, but interestingly I never went through that. Somehow I managed to get myself to not look at anyone in that way, and I also never made myself look at women. I just totally pushed away anything related to attraction. I don't think I actually checked someone out, either consciously or unconsciously, until a few months ago. I was repressing so hard I barely knew what I was repressing.

10. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys I have no problem feeling romantic and physical attraction, but sexual comes after a while. Sexual attraction seems a bit easier with me with girls, but it would still need a bit more emotional bonding for it to be full on for me. Physical attraction is definitely very easy for me for girls; romantic attraction comes and goes. Bisexuality is a little complicated like that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It changes all the time, but this is the general pattern :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say I find somewhere between 3-4% of women attractive, I can't really describe what type of girl I like though. As for men I find about 1% attractive. I see a lot of people at my job, and I can only remember being attracted to two guys, but I don't remember any of the women. One was a tall older (late 20s) hipstery guy with glasses, a trimmed beard and mustache and a nostril ring, and one was, strangely, a very average looking tan guy of indeterminate race and he had a lip ring. Honestly when I saw the last guy, that was the only time I have ever felt anything like a "gaydar"; I just knew he was gay, and I'm almost certain he knew I liked men as well when our eyes met. That guy stands out in particular and I can't stop thinking about him. I usually find "twink"-ish guys attractive mostly with some exceptions.