1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone done the ice bucket challenge?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Yosia, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I have. Though I had to use frozen fruit (which was inedible for humans, don't worry, and my dogs ate it) because I realised I didn't refill the ice trays.

It was dreadful given that it's winter here, and I was already sick. I only donated $20, but I did put links up (unlike some people, who seem to forget that it's a charity project.)

Also, I did it on a verandah, so I put some pot plants below so that the water would go to them. I was pretty frugal, because I did realise that waste criticisms weren't entirely ungrounded.

2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

^This^
    Besides the fact that there are way to many charities to support, even if I wan't a broke student, I donate whenever I can to several charities/medical studies etc.

Now it's great that this actions draws attention to ALS and manages to convince people to donate money, but it superfluous for me, personally.

3. timo

I got nominated yesterday, but I'm not doing it.* Still think it's attention whoring. And a waste of water.

Usually as short as possible / no / no / maybe once a month / no

This is the lamest argument ever and you know it.

*) Even though I will not pour a bucket of water over my head, I will make a small donation.

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was never challenged or anything, but I saw this video last week and immediately donated $100. I don't do that kind of stuff often but it was tough to watch.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

hmph the ice bucket challenge is so played, bunch of narcissitic shits raising MONEY they're all ignorant SHEEP hmph

i can not emphasize enough that was mocking/sarcastic

6. Dented

I bravely went ahead and...backed out of my nomination. Mainly because I do not want to pour ice-cold water over myself jesus christ. It's great that so many people have done it and raised awareness though. And donated of course.

7. ilovekat

ilovekat Guest

Yeah, my friend did it really slowly :-\ it was hell but its for charity so I swallowed my pain.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's good that it's raising money and awareness for a deplorable disease, but that doesn't mean the people who are doing it actually give a shit. Most of them probably don't know what ALS is or what it means for the people who actually have it.

If these people really cared, they would have donated money before - but they don't. It's just the thing that everyone is doing, and they don't want to be left out, and if they don't do it, they'll feel bad. Nobody in my family cared about ALS before, and I don't believe they care now. In fact, I've only seen ice bucket challenge videos but never, ever a reference to the disease itself. I wonder if they know what they're doing it for?

And yeah, I've been nominated - still not doing it. I have no problem donating money to a worth cause, however (without drawing attention to the fact that I donated money). ALS is truly, truly evil - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

---------- Post added 30th Aug 2014 at 06:43 PM ----------

Okay, I just read over that post again and it makes me look like a miserable and cynical bastard - which I'm not, honestly! :wink:

#48 imnotreallysure, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  9. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I would, but buckets and water and ice are expensive, and this isn't a recession, it's a depression.

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Im never going to fault someone for not knowing about a disease tbh as long as they are willing to learn and be empathrtc. Yeah it sucks people probably dont give a shit but they didnt give a shit before theyre just giving donations now and that is crazy good and i am not gonna sit here and try hard to hate on that because seriously i am just not thag bitter yet lol

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I was nominated and I did it. I considered all of the arguments that have been made on here (and some) before I did it, but on balance I felt it was a worthwhile thing to do. I knew all about Motor Neurone Disease (ALS) long before the Ice Bucket Challenge. It's utterly devastating.

12. Sorceress of Az

I saw a video on the internet where some girl died because they dropped the whole bucket on her head.

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eek: :tears:

14. Deaderpool2

yeah i did it, and let me tell you i can see why most people do it shirtless or in as little clothing as possible. my shirt was VERY absorbent, so even after the bucket was empty the freezing water was still soaking through to me. i hate being shirtless in public but damn i could not get that thing off fast enough.

15. edgy

edgy Guest

16. Aquilo

How does this work? Does ALS develop more often in kind people? Or does ALS affect the brain in a way that changes character? Or does the experience of having a chronic invariably fatal disease make people kinder (in the same way as other diseases or the same?)?

17. Blossom85

I just don't see why people can't just donate money or time to a charity.. I haven't done it and I wouldn't either if I was nominated.. Mainly because there is so many other illnesses out there and why should one be singled out like this when there is thousands and thousands of other areas of research that need donations as well. I would have loved to see my particular illness highlighted like this, it is even rarer I think then ALS.. So whilst the thought if it is in theory an okay idea.. I don't think it was given a lot of thought in regards to other charities and illness that need help as well.

18. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Yerp

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2014 at 06:08 PM ----------

Illnesses are "singled out" to put the focus on them to help foster awareness . There are, unfortunately, diseases which overshadow others in the research and even cognizance spotlight . Cancer and heart disease are the most famous. If certain ailments were not publicly outed for attention they would not be able to compete for research funding and this would make their possible cure or maintenance a long and arduous endeavor . Some illnesses which received attention through the public are : Lou Gehrig's ( the disease in topic ) , HIV, lymphoma , Alzheimer's , and a few more . If there was an outcry of public attention to Ebola ( and it wasn't occurring primarily in Africa ) it would already have been isolated and a vaccine would be well in the works ( by isolated I don't mean the virus . I mean the potential for contagion and what goes with isolation protocols ). Jus FYI.....