1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardest/Most Unforgiving game you've ever played

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nichison, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Gwendolyn

It took this long for someone to mention Dark Souls? Odd.

2. Ridiculous

Dark Souls isn't difficult at all that is why.

The Ys series games are very unforgiving, or at least the boss rush modes where they set you at the level they were designed to be fought at (instead of being able to grind beforehand as you can in normal gameplay). Each boss takes about 5 minutes and you can get hit maybe three times total before being killed and having to restart..

Super Meat Boy is really unforgiving but the levels are short and you restart them with no down time so it isn't so bad.

3. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Dark Souls 2.

It was so hard/challenging it managed to keep me for some 580 hours within the first 30 days of launch or so. It actually got ridiculously easy though after my second play through.

Followed by Paper Boy. I rage quit every single time, before level 2 ends.

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Borderlands 2 on Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode. Enemies that used to be like insects instead step on YOU.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

haha okay I'm glad to hear it's not just me that sucks at CK2, or at least is intimidated by the INCREDIBLY MASSIVELY STEEP LEARNING CURVE.....

I'm trying to think of other hard games but honestly I have such massive patience for things I enjoy that I can get through most anything. But FUCK Crusader Kings 2, up the ASS

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i hate that update with a passion.... lol

dark souls, xena 64 (yea it was a fighting game that you can just pressed whatever the hell you want and eventually you'll get it, more like annoying but it's unforgivable)

7. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Unless I am aces that day and playing with OP or good players... Holy hell. Highest is level 61 bi-winning commando and not making a lot of progress. Leveling up takes forever and without the best setup and gear you just get killed over and over. :bang: Prefer playing my lvl 43 mech, she needs a better shotty though oh yes.

8. Shulk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Battletoads. That game is ridiculous.

9. BlueLines

Counter Strike. Pre fire or die trying.

10. I remember playing Duke Nuke Em' for Nintendo 64 and I couldn't pass the first level because their are no instructions. Same with Legend of Zelda and the Deku tree, of course I was around 10 at the time.

11. Emberblaze

Persona 3. The only turn based RPG where just one, small, wrong move can cost you two hours of gameplay! THE RAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Also, Dragon's Dogma, Dark Arisen, bitter black isle can be a little challenging

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Either Touhou or IWBTG

13. KayJay

Ghosts and Goblins, oh so frustrating.

14. Cherrei

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I second Borderlands 2 on Ultimate Vault Hunter mode. ;^;

15. hoodie boy

Super Meat Boy - the Dark World is kind of impossible. Actually, the whole game is kind of impossible. It's wonderful though.

Honorable mentions for 100 percent completion of Borderlands (you need to find so much hidden, randomly dropped pizza and underwear), as well as Binding of Isaac (I have been playing this game daily for over a year and cannot complete it for the life of me).

16. PaganPoetry

probably a tie between clock tower and dark seed....I have never been able to beat either game because it's those kind of games where if you make one wrong move such as (clicking an incorrect object) you will mess up the entire outcome....and will have to start over........I have never beat either of them.....

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Faster Than Light although it's bunch of luck bullshit, but endearingly so. Tons of little arcane things to search for if you manage to survive the absurdly overpowered random encounters. Also honourable mention for Touhou UFO.

18. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The game that elicited the most cursing out of me was Jak2 on the PS2. It can't be the hardest ever because I did beat it (with games like Dark Souls higher up in difficulty) but there are others which require even more involvement than basic staying-alive skill. Titles like X3 and the Arma series come to mind. The first one is hard to the point of unplayable for me because not only is there no tutorial, but you start off with no direction. It's literally "here's a spaceship, now go and frolic among the cosmos and try not to run out of fuel or get blown up by aliens." I had to give up because I wasn't in the mood to watch long video tutorials on getting started.

Arma is tough because it makes precious few concessions for gameplay over realism. If you're used to shooting games where running and gunning is a valid tactic, you won't find much success here. It's intricate, deliberate, and requires pinpoint precision. At engagement ranges beyond the sniper rifles of most games are where your normal assault rifle exchanges happen, and they account for bullet drop and windage adjustments. That's without getting into all the different kinds of vehicles and the command system for when you play as a sergeant or general. o.0

EDIT: ^^Oddish I love FTL! :love: Although I have no delusions of ever beating it. That game is cruel! But oh so fun lol.

#38 Argentwing, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  19. Uninvited on NES. Whatever you try or do you always end up dead. lmao

20. Ryujin

The Hitchhiker Adventure Game by Douglas Adams. Because I've "activate lightswitch"ed, "get out of bed"ed and "take gown"ed too many times!