1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you feel different from your family for reasons other than your sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by the haunted, Aug 19, 2014.

1. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG yes! idk how to ellaborate without going into a big spill. So I'm gonna keep it short and just say yes.

2. Ivysaur

Mine may be considered the stereotypical Asian parents. I'm not like that. I'm more laissez-faire. I love writing, and I hate math (even though I'm good at it). I don't want to be good at school, I just want to learn without the pressure of grades. I don't think I believe in Buddhism or Baha'i, and our political views are very different.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family is constantly telling me I'm a weirdo and that I should start seeing a therapist because I have too many problems. They don't understand me at all!!! O.O Plus I'm like, super duper shy and sensitive, while everyone else in my family is loud and outgoing and thinks I whine too much...

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm different with gender identity and sexuality, but my mom's the different one, really. My dad and I are quiet, soft-spoken, and introverted, while my mom is highly bubbly, loud, and extroverted. Those seem to set us apart the most.

5. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My open mindness(at least people say I have an open mind) is probably the thing that mostly makes me different from them. There are other things like being the most gender non-conformer in the family(and I'm not even so far from the way I am expected to act), being shy, not caring so much about what's around me...

I have a good relationship with my family though.

6. wdtgg

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always felt like the black sheep on my mom side of the family because they are very conservatives which turns that I can't express my opinion about whatever without beign judged, so I tend to be quiet or talk about anything banal. That black sheeping is from the males of the family (might be they can't stand that on the 21st century a women can think and decide on her own), I'm as well or even more versed than they are on the philosophical or political side, still their say is like law.
    On my dad side of the family they are more open-minded and creative. My parents, although my dad was pretty open-minded, recently I disagree with him as he would turn more close-minded.
    Probably I'm more open-minded due to the internet, but I was always interested in other cultures and different thinking than mine.

7. kool aid

on my mum's side of the family they are all very loud, like they're from a Tyler Perry film. I'm nothing like this as I don't like to talk in most situations
    on my dad's side they tend to all be very smart. I'm nothing like this because of my average level of intelligence

8. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In some ways yes, others no, it really depends on the family member.

I don't "blame" it on the internet. I would have eventually come across a variety of opinions, facts etc from different sources from which I could make my opinions on things.

9. RedFireFly

Yeah, cus my family's morons.... -.-

They think very different from me, don't understand what I like e.t.c....

10. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Yeah, I've always been the odd one. Being the middle child doesn't help my case...and usually extended family forget I even exist if they haven't seen me since I was kid. (Oh, here is..Who are you? Me: =.=)
    I've always had to be the mature one, and acted older than I was and it's kind of made me feel like I'm on different planes with my family because they don't understand my passions for certain things e.g. gender studies, psychology, manga, anime, philosophy. I'm also known for my bursts of spontaneity which shock the hell out of my family and then become legend, forever mentioned in family meetings.

"Remember that time AJ just busted a move on the dance floor for the family fundraiser?"

*chuckles all around*

"I was so shocked- I didn't think it was AJ! I had to clean my glasses and still nearly had a heart-attack when I realized it was him!"

Me: Could you please keep it down? I'm trying to read...[​IMG]

11. TheStormInside

Well, my brothers and I are all odd in our own ways. J and I are both artsy (though he's musical and I'm into visual arts) and kind of go our own way. T is very similar to me in personality, reserved and keeps to himself. It feels a little like the three of us vs. our parents, sometimes, or it did when growing up quite frequently. Both of my parents have always had the perspective of "get a job, get married, buy a house, settle down and have kids" as the map to success in life. It was really hard for them to wrap their heads around the concept of freelance in my line of work and rejected it as a viable career option even though it's often the ONLY career option for an illustrator. Since I've been working with one company for years now they seem to be more comfortable with it, however I feel like almost everything I do tends to fly in the face of what they expect of me. Somehow I can't seem to help it, though :dry: .

12. Silas

I'm definitely the odd man out in the family :lol: Aside from being the only gay guy I'm the most introverted and the only one who has a different perspective on politics, religion, music, sports, movies, pretty much everything. They're very set in their ways and have a hard time accepting things that are different from the norm so to them I'm the weirdo of the group. I get alone fine with some of my cousins but I have very little in common with the rest of my family.

13. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same views on religion and culture.
    Same views on politics with my Dad, except for a few issues (aka gay rights)
    We are all crazy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'm very loud...like everyone in my family.
    My Sister and I are kinda similar because of the impact internet has had on us, but we're close mainly because we are both goofballs :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sexuality is the big wedge between my family and I. They don't really get why I've been so aggressive and angry last few years and it's because of our vast differences of opinion on sexuality.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the only one with a masters, black belt in karate, cosplayed and avid video game player.

So yea.

15. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a totatally different thinking than my mom. With dad, we have some things in common, we like to discuss a lot. Basically, my standpoint is VERY different from my family, not just my parents.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I feel very connected to my mother's side of the family, but have excommunicated my dad's side completely.

17. ThePrideInside4

I feel like I'm too stupid to be in my family. Everyone else is so smart. My sister gets As and Bs and I get Cs and Ds. Also because my stepdad is SUPER religious, and is homophobic.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I suppose I should provide some more insight, considering a lot more people are. It only seems fair.

My Father and I, we can get along. He's actually a fairly mellow guy, but he likes to make fun of people in a playful way. This isn't necessarily bad, he just doesn't know when to cut it out, or call it off. This is a large reason we don't click, because he can't take much of anything seriously, unless it pertains to something he envisioned. For example, he wanted me to be more popular, play sports, and have those sitcom hijinks with 'those crazy girls'. He didn't crack a whip and demand it, but, that was what he was expecting out of his "baby boy".

To give you an idea of our relationship: my father likes to read, as do I -- but we read different things. My father likes reading about the Roman Empire. I preferred reading about Carthage. My father likes reading about the American Civil War, from the perspective of the Union/Northern Army. I preferred reading about the Confederate/Southern Army. My father likes reading about World War II, from the Allied side. I preferred reading about the Axis Powers. So, even when we did talk, we'd always get into debates, and he'd usually shut me down with demeaning jokes (gradually getting to demeaning, of course, because he doesn't know when to stop).

My Mother and I, we can also get along, but we aren't terribly close. Strung out on drugs, pawning a lot of my younger sister and I's possessions, we naturally became distant from her. For so long, she was a mess, and even when she "got better", she'd always go back to it. Over and over and over. Despite all of this, she was never intentionally mean, and she did use a lot of the money she pawned, to buy us groceries. I never had a chance to get close to my mother, so, at best, we come off as room mates. At worst, we're like co-workers. We can get along, and we do. We can get a project accomplished, because we do. But when it comes to closeness, we're fairly distant. I will admit, it has become easier to be around her, since she has been clean for a few years now. So, in due time, maybe things can be patched up. Still, my mother often seems clueless as to what I like, because she was hardly there for a lot of stuff.

With my mother, it isn't so much we're different as we aren't close. We do differ, but nothing significantly, with the exception of religion. My mother "found God", and to be fair, she has been clean since then. While she doesn't force her faith on me, it does come up time to time. We don't argue or get pissed, she just shakes her head. I suppose, our ultimate life goals, differ as well.

My [Maternal] Grandmother and I, is probably the closest relationship I had/have with family. She is the one who, when things got a little rough with my mother and father, started to take my younger sister and I on the weekends -- on the condition, we go to church. Despite that, my grandmother was pretty good to us. She was very cold, though, and incredibly self-taught. She's the most educationally successful of the family, by far, so being around her, stirred the little intellectual in me. I am thankful for that. But, her coldness, is very chilling and rarely melts. She and I could discuss things, but we never got emotionally close. This didn't help me, in my hell raising days. But she has since remarried, and isn't around nearly as much, once more, leaving me to my own vices.

My grandmother is semi-traditional. She isn't against males wearing ear-rings, or having long hair, isn't against women wearing pants, or having short hair. She doesn't really have an issue with different sexualities. But she is a "gentle critic" when it comes to this, as she'll let you know, she doesn't agree with it, because the Bible says so. It won't make you furious, but it'll make you feel like a little kid. My grandmother, often times, belittles people, without knowing it. This is where she and I differ, because I don't hold people to a religious book, and belittle them for failing its standards.

My Sister and I, are not very close. At best, we're co-workers. She and I, when we have to, can get something done, like the 'Great Baby Shower Caper', where she and I, in less than 20 minutes, had to find a baby shower gift. She's an overachiever, I tend to do just enough; she's book smart, I'm more 'street smart'; she likes reality television, I watch documentaries about guys named Pol Pot; she has a lot of people to hang out with, I don't but I have people who actually respect me. My sister is pretty, as well, and has a different hair color than most of the family, so, this makes her stand out. People are usually always surprised, when it is revealed, we are related. The look on their faces tends to be, "But [sister's name] is so pretty, an--", then they realize, that isn't a nice thing to project.

My sister, when she had friends over, would always throw a temper tantrum, so that I'd have to sleep in the living room, and her friends could get my room (mine was bigger, since I was the oldest). She'd throw me under the bus, if she could. She knew, since I was a bad kid, she would be believed. Naturally, this drove a wedge between us, which still exists today, kind of. While she isn't as inconsiderate towards me, we aren't very close. We're like, again, co-workers, who have just worked together for a long time. All that said, I can't be mad at my sister, well, not entirely, because she simply knew how to play the game I did -- and on me. I think, a lot of her confidence, comes from our interactions and our 'Great Sibling War', because I gave her hell, and she endured.

19. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a diehard liberal progressive Democrat with a blue dog southern Democrat dad and an establishment Democrat mom. We aren't polar opposites politically, but there are some major differences.