1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Obama?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyDiver, Aug 18, 2014.

?

How do you feel about President Obama?

1. Disliked/hated him before, love him now.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Loved him before, dislike/hate him now.

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. I've always disliked/hated him.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. I've always loved him.

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Indifference before, love him now.

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Indifference before, dislike/hate him now.

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. Hated/disliked him before, indifference now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Loved him before, indifference now.

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  9. No opinion.

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogget

Well, I think it's completely acceptable to call Obama a mass murder, given that he's continued Bush's wars and continued the country's imperialistic and neocolonialist policies. On the domestic front he's a mix of mostly okay when it comes to social issues (although I wish he were more pro-worker and less inclined to support crony capitalism), but absolutely terrible when it comes to increasing the government's power to spy on its citizens without a warrant.

Unfortunately, the things Obama does that I support, a Republican president wouldn't do; the things Obama does that I dislike, a Republican president would do even more of than Obama is.

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't going to respond, but I have to. The "impeach Bush" movement was from far-left whackos like Dennis Kucinich who I don't agree with at all. However George W. Bush's economic policies spoke for themselves as they resulted in a near repeat of the Great Depression.

Nothing has changed in terms of SNAP except that its funding has been cut and now children are getting fed less. Nobody who's able-bodied lives off the government and refuses to work. That ended in 1996 when Bill Clinton signed the welfare reform bill. Nowadays the cash assistance program is called TANF-Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.

Now people who get food assistance, SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program), have to meet income requirements or be disabled. Disabled people almost universally meet the income requirements because SSI only pays a maximum of $724/month and SSDI pays a maximum of around $2000 a month.

Point is, the whole idea of people that just "mooch off the government" is a complete myth and lie. When my aunt left her abusive husband, she had to feed 3 growing preteen boys and pay the bills and a $700 rent payment on a $9 an hour job. She worked 60 hours a week and still needed help making ends meet, and your party's answer to that is "Get a job." What's out of touch with that statement?

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you see now with the republicans. Talk of impeachment is well alive in the obama administration with people in congress threatening impeachment with Obama over executive actions and immigration. Yes the democrats talked of impeachment and of course Bush should of been impeached there I admit it but Obama is a better president than Bush ever was on some things. Although I disagree with Obama on enviromental issues and things like that. The fact Obama is the first president to be sued and he had LESS executive actions than Bush. We treated Bush much better than Obama and even though we disagreed with him we never called him Anti-American or a Muslim.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I left the party and left the bandwagon.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to impeach him for all sorts of stuff, but like I said in my earlier post, there's no realistic alternative. American politics, at least on the higher levels, are a cesspit.

6. Data

Data Guest

That didn't take long.

I know several people who are able bodied and mooch. My uncle is one of them. People break laws and lie. Everyone lies...listen to Dr. House.

Just the other day a guy rode up on a bicycle and asked for a hand out. Said his welfare got cut. I told him if he can ride a bike and ask for charity, he can work. I have a metal plate in my leg and I work in a physically demanding job. I told him to scram and be an adult who supports himself. Trash...

I understand there are legit cases of welfare, but the majority are leeches. This is why Obama was re-elected. Obama phone...

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes that is true but Obama could not just pull out of there without doing in a gradual process. You don't just get sworn in and call all the troops home. IF Obama would of done that the situation today would of been much worse. Bush started the wars and as much Obama wanted to end them he knew he could not just pull out without a safe strategic plan. More troops could of died and more civilians could of died if Obama just ended the war. I would not compare war to being a mass murderer. I did not agree with the Irag War but i If war is necessary to to stop a global threat than it is necessary. Saying war is like mass murder is a insult to the troops who defended freedom and many of died involuntary like in Vietnam.

8. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not true at all. Once again, turn off Rush Limbaugh and look at the facts. The SafeLink program was signed by George W. Bush in August of 2008, actually, and it was an expansion of a program to provide landline telephone service to low-income individuals signed by Ronald Reagan.

It wasn't welfare, it wasn't magic, it was simple math why Obama was re-elected. The country goes through Democratic and Republican phases, and right now in terms of presidential elections, we're in a Democratic swing. Barack Obama lost two states that he won in 2008, and those two states, North Carolina and Indiana, are pretty solidly red states. Not to mention the Republican strategy from 1968 forward was to rely heavily on the white vote. In doing this, they alienated every single minority group, and 2008/2012 were both reflections on the changing demographics. 2012 was the first election where minorities outvoted white people. The fact is the GOP can't rely on hate and fear outside the South anymore and will keep losing national elections until it realizes this.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obama was reelected because of the Republicans protection of the rich and because of their out dated far right policies that minorities and young people dislike. We are in the reality where if you lose your job you won't find another one and you need to depend on social services to get by. Even minimum wage jobs don't pay enough so more people are just going on welfare and I don't blame them. I don't even judge those who lie a little bit to get more services because I was in their shoes I do the same thing. The way you treated that man is selfish and regardless if he was getting by in a shady way I question how much you knew of his situation. He could of had a mental disability not a physical one that caused him to be jobless.

10. The Watcher

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm disappointed nobody has posted this yet.
    [​IMG]

My actual opinion though is he's just meh. He's better than Bush but that's not saying much. In reality, we can't accurately judge both of them until a couple years when we completely see the effects of their administrations (Obamacare for instance). For those saying they're the worst we had, James Buchanan and Herbert Hoover say hi. IMO, Reagan and Clinton were the last more than decent ones we had.

Of course, this thread hadn't even had more than a page yet before Godwin's Law was invoked.

11. Data

Data Guest

Not selfish at all. I have an actual and legitimate physical handicap that causes me pain and prevents from running. I work incredibly hard for the money I get, and I'm not going to share it with anyone who rides up on a bicycle and complains that his welfare got cut. Sorry, not going to happen. He's already putting his hand into my pocket to get his welfare, he isn't getting anything else.

Those who lie to increase their welfare check are felons and should thrown in jail.

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    36 cents come out of your check to fund SNAP. Calm down, it's not a big deal. Should disability only apply to physical disabilities? My aunt has Fibromyalgia and she doesn't look disabled. Does that make her any less disabled? She rides a bike a bit for exercise. Should she be thrown in prison?

13. Data

Data Guest

So she can't even be a book keeper? What's the difference between sitting in pain doing nothing, and sitting in pain while working spreadsheets? It's a bad hand to be dealt by life, but you can either sit and feel pity for yourself or you can live life.

I worked in extreme pain for quite a long time. I still have bad pain. The difference is, I'm not a quadruple amputee or a stroke victim. All 4 limbs work, so I use them.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact is that's between her and her doctor why she couldn't be a bookkeeper or whatever. She has been found by a judge in a court of law to be disabled by the standards set forth of the laws passed by Congress governing Social Security Disability Insurance.

People on disability don't "sit and feel pity for themselves." Maybe if you and your fellow conservatives went out and met people and saw other perspectives you wouldn't be so quick to pass judgement.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So your basically telling me a mental disability does not apply to getting government assistance. This man you yelled at could had a mental condition that required him to need help so your passing judgment on something you don't know about. Saw a the only minimum wage job available is hours away and you have to pay the gas to get there and back. Or say you cannot drive and have to pay for a bus. Having even a part time low paying job would basically be paying for your gas so I don't blame people for prefering welfare until something better comes along.

#55 dano218, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  16. Data

Data Guest

And he did the same. He looked at me in uniform, standing tall without wincing, and assumed I had nothing wrong with me, don't bust my ass for my wage, and have money to spare. All 3 are false. I think we're even at that point. The only difference is, I HAVE a job despite my handicap, he begs. That's the major defining difference. All things equal, I bet I could find a doctor who'd brand me disabled, guve me a big bottle of Oxycodone and a medical pot card and I could sit at home high as a kite day after day. I don't though, I work hard and pay welfare for people much less worse off than I am... Forgive me if I'm bitter.

17. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you assume he assumed you have nothing wrong with you. I have a disability and I would help anyone in need. Your opinion has no basis and is based only on assumptions. Tell me what disabilities would require government assistance and do you know how hard it is to get a job these day. It is your party that refuses to raise the minimum wage and for some people a part time job would only pay for their gas there and back. Would not even help so I don't blame them for waiting for something better to come along.

18. Jonathan

This thread is locked pending staff review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.