1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "I will only date (x) race" racist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flight, Aug 10, 2014.

1. scub

i think it all boils down to preference. typically i just find myself more attracted to a certain race, but the race i'm usually not interested in, i have many friends of that race.. so how would that make me a racist? it's kind of like i prefer being with a guy over a girl, does that make me a sexist?

2. Gen

Gen

Preference in the sex of a mate is a result of innate neurological dispositions. Preference in race is a result of sociological influences on the mind. This comparison between racial preference and sexual preference is immensely overused and blatantly ignorant. I have expressed my thoughts on this subject a number of times on this site. My issue is far less with those that hold these simplistic mindsets, as much as those who attempt to justify them.

Everyone is welcome to hold whichever strict racial preferences they please, but attempting to avoid the reality that those mindsets are birthed from vast generalizations, stereotypes, inaccuracies and all too often racial bias is quite delusional. Improvement in society tends to move along far more efficiently when people are able to admit the flaws and dangers of certain ways of thinking rather than constantly rushing to justify them with ridiculous logic and "make-believe" attempts at science.

3. Hexagon

People can't help who their attracted to, we understand this. It isn't racist to only be attracted to one race, and it's unreasonable to expect people to date people they aren't attracted to. However, I strongly doubt that there's a biological basis for such an attraction, particularly as genetic diversity is evolutionarily healthy, and that's reflected in people's attractions. It follows, then, that it's caused by, if not personal racism, then internalisation of racist societal norms.

4. AlamoCity

This thread again :rolle: :lol:

I actually find it hilarious when "left-wing liberal" members here actually try to justify their "preferences." It reminds me of "limousine liberals :roflmao:.

But, with all due respect, I think most racial preferences are based on sociological cues, as others before me have more eloquently stated.

Here is something honest I discovered about myself.

I sort of have "preferences," but I actually realized that I didn't have a "preference" for certain races/ethnicities but to the cultures that they represent. I personally find "change" very difficult to process and can't really fathom living in many places on Earth because of the pace of life, the scenery, the culture, etc. One place that really makes me uncomfortable is SE Asia (don't worry, I have other regions that I feel uncomfortable in , including Los Angeles and New York City, but it's harder to pinpoint a phenotype from that "culture.") So, I may have not preferred to date someone who was from that region. Perhaps my brain associated a person with roots from that place with "the culture." I felt that people whose ancestry was from certain regions would possess a personality that would be incongruent with mine. Eventually, I realized that regions' cultures are not monolithic and have no bearing on how an individual person is or what their morals or other attributes are.

As a result, I don't think all preferences are a form of "racism," per se, but of "ignorance" or, to a degree, a failure to be open to change.

5. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think it's racist to have racial preferences...but everyone has to understand that will offend someone even if you didn't mean it that way.

6. RAdam

So it's oke to be attracted to blonds only, or muscled build but when it comes to the shape of eyes and skin colour it's racist, seriously?! These are all extreme features of someone's appearance and some people just don't feel attracted to that. Doesn't mean it's racist. Racist would be if you'd treat and think less of them. I don't even get this discussion. Oh you like blonds Fking racist.

7. Hexagon

People with blond hair aren't a race, so your comparison is absurd. Furthermore, racism is more nuanced than simply treating people badly. We've already said that it isn't the individual who's racist in this case, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a form of racism. 'Preference' of this type is rarely without cause.

8. RAdam

So you haven't read my post, as I said hair colour is a physical feature just like skin colour how is that comparison absurd, yes you can dye your hair but people who say I like blonds don't generally mean every girl with blond hair but the race that comes with it. People from all social and cultural layers have interracial relationships, it might shock you but a lot of blond girls prefer non Caucasians here in the Netherlands while their social upbringing would have suggested otherwise?? It's just people like to create problems where they aren't APEARANCE MATTERS not to all no, but to the extreme majority yes.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where have blonds been legally, socially, or financially disadvantaged?

That's the absurdity of it. A paper cut and a leg blown off by a mine are both injuries, but comparing them is still absurd.

--

PSA: Caucasian is not synonymous with white. Caucasians are from the Caucasus, and many (I'm not sure about the demographics, so it might even be most) aren't even white.

10. jahow95

Depends. If you choose not to date a person purely because of their race, then yes, it's racist. However, if you are not attracted to a particular race then it's no more racist than being gay or straight is sexist.

In the opposite sex, at least, I would say that in the past I've been attracted to more women of my own race than any other, but I have been attracted to others and I wouldn't not date someone based on it.

You can't apologise for your attractions, but if you choose not to form a relationship with someone because of their race, then obviously it's racist

#30 jahow95, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  11. Foxface

Ah I didn't realize this was a liberal issue as opposed to a full on societal issue that covers all political spectrum

Preference does NOT equal racism unless you specifically exclude said race based on the traits inherent to their race or perceived to be inherent to their race. I am personally attracted to folks for alllll races

I would say that generally speaking I am most attracted to white or Latino...however I am open enough to admit that these two groups are what I grew up with...so I am sure that is a major part of it

12. AlamoCity

What I am trying to say is that I personally find it amusing that people who espouse very progressive, liberal ideologies still carve out racial "preferences." Perhaps it is me using stereotypes, but one would "expect" people who are "left-leaning" to be the most "post-racial" of all political groups. Of course, that is typecasting people.

I apologize if I sound as if I am making light of an issue that is still a blight in society. I am not.

13. Emulator

Well, if they limit themselves to a certain race just because they can't stand others' looks or other outward things, then yes. I've had a few online...friends who wouldn't speak to me on the www because I'm not white. Even then, sometimes it comes down to cultural similarities and levels of comfort that is in people's nature.

14. burg

:thumbsup:
    wow its like your a Cognitive Science and Neurosciences student or something.:icon_wink

15. LiquidSwords

I think this is important. If people are determined to only date from a particular 'race' then you can screen people in your head, without posting NO BLACKS on your profile, which is pretty disgusting. Just imagine how it feels to come from a marginalised minority group and hear things like this. Especially when it's from fellow LGBT people who ought to know better.

Also, people act like all people from each racial group look the same. There's so much diversity in appearance within each that it's absurd to claim you could never be attracted to someone belonging to each unless there's bias beyond aka you're racist

16. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I think is more correct to say 'Is common for me to like X race, and i have never been in love with someone of Y race, but who knows how can life surprise me'

17. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Eh, I see this as more of an observation of pattern than prejudice. If you've dated two people and preferred the one who is the same race as you, it would be dishonest to say "I like them equally." But then it comes down to what you said about cultural similarity, or if you merely interacted differently in some way. And of course it could hardly be used to justify future bias for dating partners.

18. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I noticed I had a but of a racial attraction preference lately, and have been trying to work on getting rid of it lately. I think it developed due to the fact that I live in one of the whitest towns outside of Minnesota, Demographiccaly its 95% white 3% asain and the rest is split between the other races.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find this whole argument bordering on sick. It's a current front burner item so people can trump up strife. Sorry. It is absolutely NOT racist.

A person has a right to be interested in whoever they please and for whatever reason, though I may not agree with their tastes. Even among white people, I am almost exclusively attracted to darker haired individuals and rarely to blond individuals, yet society has always told me while growing up that blond was better. Not in my book. Ryan Gosling wouldn't even register if he was walking down the street. The only thing that registered was that scene in the locker room in "Crazy Stupid Love," but that wasn't about his face. I would have much rather seen Steve Carell in that position.

Here we go again.

20. bicomplicated

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. No, I don't think it is racist. I've been pressured into dating people I am not attracted to in all races whether I am not attracted to certain looks or body types. You are attracted to wh you are attracted to. I have dated a few Chinese, Latino, and black but mostly white. And the majority of the time who is gonna turn my head is a white person or a light skinned Latino or Latina. Actually some Latin are sexier to me than whites. But just like I prefer men who are in decent shape and women with bigger boobs, certain races are more likely to turn my head and get my attention more than other races. It's not that I am not open minded to dating other races, I have, BUT 9 times out of 10 the attraction is just NOT there for certain races. Should I force the attraction? That's just not right. Oh and not to start a debate... but what about black men who will ONLY date white women? Is that wrong, ok, prejudice? I don't have a problem with that, so please respect MY preferences.