1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think it would have like, coming out in the 1980s?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Aug 8, 2014.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What do you think it would have been like, coming out in the 1980s?

I'm curious, as the average age here is much younger, so not many would have come out then.

But hypothetically, what do you think it would have been like for you? There would have been no internet, no websites such as these, the fear of AIDS had whipped up a good deal of fear and homophobia, Reagan was in office, and courting the religious right (Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and the like). Also, no smartphones, and no cell-phones.

What would you have done to feel less alone, and more comfortable about yourself?

#1 HuskyPup, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. AKTodd

I came out from about 1990 onwards. So not much had changed from the 80s. There were cell phones for most of the 80s btw - just very big and clunky ones. The first one was commercially available in 1983.

I never felt alone, but I also had a sort of 'gay big brother' in my supervisor at work. If I had questions he could answer them, although mostly it was just having someone to talk to in general and check out guys with (working on a college campus in the sun belt is GREAT for this btw). And I was always comfortable with myself.

Todd

3. BloodyRose3000

I imagine many syth goth songs would be played in lonely corners with bad speakers and hung up sports jackets.

Come to think of it, that's not too far from the way I live right now... only speakers have gotten swapped for high end headphones and sport jackets got swapped for plaid shirts

#3 BloodyRose3000, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  4. BornAnew

Probably much more difficult than it is now (much the same as a husky pups life would've been in the 1800's LOL)!!

I think online has been a huge help to the recent generations of LGBT youth in terms of support. In the 80's there wouldn't have been obvious support places. And the AIDS scare was present.

Of course we can only speculate..I'm sure there are members on this forum who have actually experienced this first hand!

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have to wonder. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. BelleFromHell

I wouldn't dare to come out in the 80's. I'd rather stick consentrated hydrogen peroxide in my eyes.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't know if I could trust a society, that embraces acid-wash clothes, with my well being. LOL.

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never was disused as much as it is now so it's hard to say.

9. Candace

I'd probably just enjoy the music from that era....everything else, not really much :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

10. BloodyRose3000

I would have saved that particular reaction for *What do you think it would have been like coming out in the 1950's*

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it would have been possible for me to come out or form a relationship with another man unless I moved to one of the big cities of the UK with an active gay scene. Even then, I'm not sure I would have come out.

In the 1980's Margaret Thatcher was Prime Minister and her government had no appetite for improving the lot for LGBT people, quite the reverse, in fact.

There was still a great deal of ignorance and hostility towards LGBT and other minority groups, made worse by the hysteria surrounding HIV/Aids. Even in the 90's a local gay bar closed after a few months after being targeted by homophobic thugs.

For all its faults the internet has brought LGBT people across the world together, as this site demonstrates. In the 1980's I'd have struggled to identify another gay man in my town.

In all honesty, I think I would have been regarded as a confirmed bachelor with no sexual interest whatsoever in the 80's.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -- you often met people through classified ads, where you mailed a response to a po box and waited for the person to respond.

-- people were a lot less likely to come out, and the majority were not out at work. Being gay was adequate reason to be fired and very few, if any, localities had protections.

-- if you were gay in the mid-1980s to early 1990s, you would have a lot of trouble getting a job in healthcare, restaurants, or food service because the general concern was that you'd spread AIDS. Consequently, people went to great lengths to conceal their identity and any relationships. People boycotted gay doctors and dentists for fear of getting AIDS, and many gay people had real difficulty getting care because doctors and dentists didn't want to treat them.

-- it was not uncommon to be at a party with a dozen friends in good health one week, and have two or three of them in the hospital or dead two weeks later. AIDS was usually a death sentence.

--when you met someone for the first time, you rarely knew what they looked like beforehand because there was no practical way (other than mailing photos) to get a pic to someone. And few mailed pics because most were cautious who they came out to.

And, for the record, Bryce, John and Shannon, who started EC in 2004, did so simply because there was no such resource when they were growing up and they were left feeling very isolated and alone.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In a way, coming out as a Christian now is like coming out in the 80's because the church is always 20-30 years behind.

14. XRay

Terrifying. Just to think about it makes me feel bad

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    CNN talked about coming out in the 1960's on that show "The Sixties," and back then there were college campuses that paid students $10 for each gay man/lesbian he or she turned in to the school. Combine that with HIV/AIDS, it'd have been a tough time to be LGBT.

16. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't even know I was trans, I found out what it was by Internet. I would have ame out to my friends as bi (assuming I'd have the friends I have right now), but not to anyone else. Maybe parents, maybe.

17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I missed it by a couple of years--although to be honest I really regret not being out for college which would have put me out in the late eighties. I have to say it just wasn't that bad in the early nineties. I experienced remarkably little resistance or backlash. But, still, I do tend to think it is much easier now.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I lived through that era. One thing I recall is that I probably had a very limited understanding of what it is to be gay until I was well into my teenage years. Yes, words like gay, fag, and fairy had been thrown about casually among boys as early as 4th grade. But all I really knew was that they were insult words boys used on other boys. I never used any of them, myself. Actually, I was sort of puzzled by fairy. Being in WA, I heard the word as ferry. I'm not sure that I wondered why it was an insult to call a boy a big boat, but it's possible. Although it's worth noting that I was probably behind the times even by the standards of my generation. My parents did not tolerate certain words, as I discovered when I first learned dick. Also my mother had a strong prudish streak, thanks to her side of the family.

So...when same sex attraction kicked in, I really didn't understand it. Indeed, sexual attraction wasn't something I understood. My sex ed had all been along the lines of "fall in love, get married, and when you want to have a baby..." And so I started denial in various forms. I liked a boy's body because it was somehow better than mine. I felt a strong feeling about a boy, but it was because I wanted a friend. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I never once heard of anyone openly gay in my high school. (Although, admittedly, I was an outsider, so I'm sure there was tons of gossip I never heard.)

The first time I even heard of anything gay being openly discussed was when I was a college student at a local college. One of the professors wrote a play talking about AIDS, and a couple of the characters were gay. I had to see the play because of one of my classes. And afterwards, one student was asking in class if it was true the rumor that professor who wrote it was gay. My professor sat frozen a moment, then quietly admitted that was, indeed, the case. As the discussion went, there was at least one religious type who admitted having moral qualms about homosexuality.

I was very much of an outsider at that college too. Story of my life, I guess. But the bits and pieces I remember suggests that it would have been very hard being openly gay. I knew one guy who said he'd heard one of his friends in high school might be gay, and if he'd known that, he might not have been friends. There was something in the paper. I can't remember the details, but I can remember the sense that for many there gay was not good.

And I'm pretty sure there was no GSA.

As far as I can recall, I never once considered the thought that I might be gay. And I think had that thought occurred to me, I'd probably have really gone into denial.

19. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    wait, um the part about turning lesbians and gays into school does not make sense to me, can you explain?

20. One Man Army

Aye.

Some churches are very accepting, however. But the more vocal ones tend not to be.