1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who gets more flak?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Toast8971, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Toast8971

So I'm curious to see what you guys think. Who gets more flak? Gays or lesbians? In my opinion, gays get more crap dumped on them because men are "supposed" to be all tough and stuff, while females are able to hug and be more affectionate towards each other.

2. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is probably kind of a touchy subject, but honestly I have to agree that gay guys probably have it a bit more difficult. My reasoning is that straight guys are generally all for lesbians (some kind of strange fantasy of watching lesbians I guess), and that gay guys are more likely to get physically harmed just because they are guys. Honestly though, that's just from my perspective as a guy, it may be just as tough being a lesbian. Like I said, it's a kind of touchy subject and there are 2 sides to every story :slight_smile:

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

oppression olympics

4. Mogget

Being objectified for your sexuality is not the same as having it accepted. Also, lesbians are more likely to be victims of corrective rape than gay men are.

5. Candace

I would say gay guys, based on experience, but not every gay guy and lesbian is the same. A gay guy who shows stereotypical traits would most likely get more flak than say someone who can pass off as straight without any problem. The same goes for any lesbian.

6. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i guess it really depends on who you ask, but i would say lesbians considering the "corrective" rape thing

7. Lesbians have to deal with the problems of being women in a society that devalues anything female or feminine on top of being gay.

Part of the reason why gay men get so much shit for being gay is because if you're gay it's stereotyped that you're more feminine. Society views all things feminine as lesser. So, the man's masculinity is at question.

Gay people getting shit at all is a problem very much based in sexism.

I'm not about to say that one group has it worse than another, but I think it needs to be taken into account that homophobia finds its roots in hatred of women or being like women.

8. julianne

Yes, this!!

Arguing over who has it worse is never a great idea, but I would like to add that bisexuals face discrimination from the straight and gay communities. Being told that we don't exist can be pretty troubling as well.

I wouldn't say that anyone really has it "worse" though. As members of the LGBTQ community we've all got it pretty rough, so let's accept and love each other and not turn it into an argument, okay?

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bisexuals and trans people have it worse.

10. yeah. this too definitely.

11. the haunted

Out of gays and lesbians, I feel like gay men get the most hate from the non-LGBT community. Mostly because lesbianism is so sexualized these days. Overall, I believe that trans* people receive the very most hate from the non-LGBTs. :icon_sad:

I also feel like bisexuals and trans* people receive a ton of hate from the LGBT community. It upsets me because I feel like we should all stick together as a minority group. No need to hate against the minority within the minority.

12. Delta

This might sound a little weird. But... I think lesbians get a higher total amount of flak. For being gender nonconforming, I think women get about half as much as men. For being gay itself, I think we get about three quarters. But for being female at all you get a fuckload, let's be honest.

And getting approval from perverted straight men because they like turning you and your partner into a sexual object for their own pleasure is really, really, really not a bonus. Ever.

But the "I'm more oppressed than you" argument is stupid. :slight_smile: Everyone deserves to have enough love and support and freedom to live their lives freely and happily.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think everybody in the LGBTQ community has their own unique set of prejudices to overcome. I think it's a bit harder to be gay than lesbian, considering perceived or actual femininity in men is met with violence quite often. I think that most people consider being a gay man to be giving up male privilege, and that's why they treat them differently.

I think that being bisexual is just as hard, but at least most people believe gay people exist. That being said, trans have it worse than anybody, they are far more likely to be met with a violent reaction than someone who's sexuality is different. I imagine people would hate genderqueer people the most, but nobody knows what we are.

14. the haunted

I will admit, being hit on by guys who know you're gay is one of the most annoying problems I've come across as a queer lady. I hate how they think they're going to get somewhere with me. I'd like to be friendly with someone without them thinking I'm into them. :dry:

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Both gay men and lesbians have their problems, if one gets more crap than the other, I don't believe it's by a lot.

16. confuseduser99

Gays have it worse than lesbians. Guys are supposed to be tough, not "girly" and feminine. If you're gay and have some of the stereotypical gay traits, life is MUCH tougher. On top of that, straight guys are usually pretty anal (pun not intended) about men being manly.

I also think that it has something to do about gay sex. Most people find male on male anal sex disgusting and "degrading", while lesbian sex is "nothing more than fingering each other".

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

girls are supposed to be girly and if you're trying to be manly well maybe you're just confused and projecting desires onto identity and need a good dicking? being told your sex isnt real sex and just fun for girls so maybe your sexuality is just fluid is bullshit too and again need a good dicking or some sexual harassment to get fixed

this shit sucks both ways all ways and everyone uas bad experiences, competing over it doesnt make a winner when we all lose divided