1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents aren't impressed... what the hell!

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by gaynerd64, Aug 3, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

I just spent my whole evening working on a complex 3D animation of a human dancing around. Much to my disappointment, when I showed it to my parents they were unimpressed and walked off... making me very sad and forcing me to kick this project up a notch. Does anybody have any ideas? I seriously need support on this as stupid as it seems. I absolutey hate it when this happens.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work with graphics a lot. Some people just don't know the amount of work that it takes to accomplish something. So, it may be a matter of showing them all that you have done to work on that animation. We see these things so often now that most people just assume that it is easy to do, when it is really not.

3. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    That happened to me too a few years back, made me quit the field. If you love what you do don't give up though.

4. mangotree

What are they expecting? Toy Story 4?

I agree with BradTheCat.
    I do a bit of animation work in my job as well.
    Usually at work - I ask for honest feedback rather than just "what do you think?".
    It doesn't matter if it's positive or negative or even if what they suggest is technically possible - these experiences can push you to find out things that you wouldn't have learnt otherwise.

It looks like you've decided to use their comments (or lack of at this point) to as incentive to improve yourself already, so that's great!

Peace! (*hug*)

5. Mogget

As Louis Sacher says, people with talent make incredibly difficult things look easy.

6. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just had to bump this to say I had exactly this experience over and over when I was really into 3d modelling years ago. People don't understand how much effort it takes, and graphics, in particular, tend to be very difficult to perfect to the point where they are *impressive*. It's also difficult for laypeople to get excited when it's not a completed short film set to music - they get confused. So I totally relate, hang in there!!

7. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed :grin:

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sent a few stories I was writing to two of my friends. They never got around to even reading them, and I really wanted their feedback and impressions. It was really discouraging. I'm sorry that happened to you. (*hug*)