1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC's new new 52

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by whereamigoing, Aug 1, 2014.

1. whereamigoing

I loved the whole new 52. Most fans didn't but i enjoyed that it gave us a break from the old stuff, which aside from green lantern and batman, was getting old. i got hooked on teen titans and he court of owls run in batman, along with red hood and the outlaws. they were amazing, but i stopped reading teen titans once they brought in the dinosaurs . I just said nope not letting that ruin this, so i stopped. i also stopped reading red hood because it was too drawn out. i kept with the batman until the death of the family arc. then i came back to read about (spoilers) damiens death. but this article is not really about that stuff. its about how DC feels the need to stop a series and then revamp it. i.e. Teen titans, whose new run started last week. i said screw it why not and picked up issue number one. while the story is a 7 at best the art is a 9.5 but as i went through i kept noticing changes, the biggest ones being the fact that beast boy was GREEN again. The other being the heavily implied relationship between bunker and beast boy I'm all for a same sex relationship within the titans but we need a little backstory on how beasty changed his color and his apparent heterosexuality. i just got lost after a bit. but another thing i saw as i went through:ads shamelessly self promoting dc's new revamps or revivals (i.e. grayson,new suicide squad, robin rises omega and even the new teen titans. I'm really confused as to why dc thinks cancelling one series and then revamping it uner a new name, or even the same name changes anything. it just makes us confused, so what are your problems with what dc is doing with its books right now?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

DC is pretty sloppy when it comes to comic books nowadays. However, they have some of the best animated movies, which rival Marvel's animated releases. They aren't doing too hot in the movie department though, aside from Batman.

DC just has too much history. I can see how it can be intimidating to write for, considering all the history and backlogs. On top of that, so much had been done, so they were always grasping for straws. So, I can understand why they wanted to do a reboot. It makes sense, from a business perspective, so that those being drawn into comics due to movies, will be able to easily adapt.

One thing I am quite disappointed in, with DC, is their treatment of the Static Shock series. Static is one of my favorite heroes, from any medium and not just DC, yet they practically misusde and abandoned him. He's an urban Spiderman, but he has an edge to him, that even the Wallcrawler lacks. P.S. I know Spiderman is Marvel, but he's the best comparison to make here. DC has a potential gold mine, but I guess minority heroes are a harder sell. It probably doesn't help that, Static's best friend, is homosexual, and one of the rogue hero teams, that Static crosses paths with, has a lesbian couple.

3. White Knight

New 52 started off with problems (women in comics and sexism was the biggest) and still doing wrong things at points.

Then came big gay announcement. Yeah we all want LGBT heroes but we want them as real heroes not publicity stunts...

Tried to get back into mainstream comics but after finding little gems called online comics, I don't even miss them now.

I am agree with Kaiser, only good thing coming out of DC lately is their Animeted Movies.

4. pancake111

I like the new 52. I pretty much only read Batgirl, batwoman, catwoman, wonderwoman, some suicide squad, and batman. I agree that they do seem to feel the need to revamp things. Like the new Grayson series, and Harley Quinn. I hasn't bothered me too much, but I understand why it bothers others.