11 year old daughter came out

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by E11mum, Jul 30, 2014.

1. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I keep coming back here because really, I'd like to post on Facebook how proud I am of her for knowing her own mind and coming out, but I can't because I would out her to family members and she needs to choose for herself when she comes out to them. She said it's ok for me to talk to any of my friends who are gay or bi (except for one particular friend who she asked me not to tell, which I have respected). Posting here is anonymous so I don't feel I'm breaching her confidentiality.

2. Clay

Well it's good that you come back here. I guess you can read a lot of threads and see what it's like for people who are in your daughters position, or still in the closet (even though I guess you already have an understanding seeing as though you're bi).

3. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The thing that has made me really sad reading the boards on EC is how much homophobia there is, and how many people face really horrible homophobia from their families. I live in a big city, I've been out for a long time, my employer has good equalities policies and my circle of friends tend to be pretty open-minded people, I guess I've been a bit insulated from the degree of homophobia that still exists in the world.

4. Clay

I don't think being in a big city changes that much. I live somewhere with no cities for over a hundred miles, and less than 9000 people, but I've experienced very little homophobia towards me.

But yeah it's a shame to see families that hate their own children. I can't really wrap my head around birthing, raising, and then hating your own child because they tell you they like the same sex.

5. E11mum

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone