1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the word "gay" in the sense of "lame"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sayu, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Do you mind when people use the word "gay" in the sense of "lame"? Do you use it

1. I'm a woman and I can't stand it!

20 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. I'm a woman and I don't like it but it doesn't bother me too much when I hear it.

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. I'm a woman, I don't mind, but I don't use it.

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. I'm a woman, I don't mind and I sometimes use it.

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. I'm a man and I can't stand it!

34 vote(s)
    27.6%
  6. I'm a man and I don't like it but it doesn't bother me too much when I hear it.

18 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. I'm a man, I don't mind, but I don't use it.

18 vote(s)
    14.6%
  8. I'm a man, I don't mind and I sometimes use it.

13 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. Other (comment, please).

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really dislike the use of the word 'gay' as an insult because it perpetuates the belief that being gay is bad. That being said, on an individual level I realize that the speaker often doesn't intend to perpetuate that belief.

2. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow. I should try this.

I don't like it, and I generally correct people when they use it,but not aggressively.

Honestly I don't even like the use of 'Lame' as an insult either.

3. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't use to mind it but the past year I have grown to hate it. It essentially saying that gay = bad, and I find that personally offensive. I know most people aren't trying to consciously offend gay people, but the frequent use of the word does subconsciously reinforce the idea that being gay is something that sucks and should be made fun of.

4. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly.

5. Mogget

Using the word "lame" to mean "bad" is ableist:

So not only do I not like "gay" being used in the sense of "lame," but I also don't like "lame" being used in the sense of "gay"!

6. aidan

I don't like it and I don't use it. It's pointless and unempathetic to deliberately use words that you know are offensive and harmful.

7. daniel27

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are too many words of hate thrown around these days, ignorance can never be a reason to spread hatred.

8. DannyMvp

DannyMvp Guest

It doesn't really bother me, but if someone says that to me with an intention to offend I reply with something similar to "it's not even an insult" or "it's as if being gay is something bad". This is sort of stupid to use "gay" in the sense of "lame" because it makes no sense at all which makes it even funnier when people unintentionally say that.

9. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't really bother me, I know that it's being used as a derogatory term but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

10. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I absolutely hate it and correct people who say it.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use neither "gay," nor "lame" as insults.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is interesting - but I wonder how many people are aware - able-bodied or otherwise? I suspect not many.. at all. In fact, I wasn't aware at all until I stumbled upon this thread. I think lame, like gay, will continue to be used in a derogatory manner for a long time - but in my experience neither are used maliciously - but in a juvenile manner - i.e banter.

In any case, it doesn't really influence my decision to not use the word - it just isn't part of my vocabulary. Seems more American.

#52 imnotreallysure, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  13. AAASAS

It's not offensive, but alienating, which is almost worse.

Having a word that describes you also mean something bad, is not really the greatest thing.

I haven't used it in a long long time. But I have used the word fagget once or twice. For some reason I don't mind using it to describe gay people I don't like, still feel bad about it.

14. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, I think most people use it just out of habit. I know when I was in middle school literally everyone was saying that all the time. I don't think many people even think about the association, it is just used as another word. I don't personally find it offensive, because I just assume people don't mean it negatively. Now, if someone were to say "That is so homosexual", then I would likely be offended.

15. Mr D Gamer

I don't think saying aww man this computer is gay! When it doesn't work is really bad. It seems to be a really common colloquial term used whenever something isn't working (often in that context). I've been hearing it for years so I don't really care and I use it occasionally when I can't find a better way of describing something crap.

I guess some are offended as it makes gay sound like a bad thing but I just see it as another random slang word.

16. Toast8971

I used to use it quite frequently... But I try to use a different word now

17. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't use it. I never heard anyone say that..

18. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't mind it. I use it and I'm gay.

The intentions behind it is to say the situation's lame, not that to be gay or gay people are lame.
    I think people read into these things a little too much, to be honest.

19. MissRanger

MissRanger Guest

I don't find it offensive now unless the tone of it is expressed in such a highly hateful derogatory way. It's not a word that I would use to describe in such a context but it would be great if others would expand their vocabulary and use a different word. When I do hear someone use it to describe something as "lame" I don't tolerate it. I do make statements from time to time like "Since when does the word lame have become gay?" Others verbalize it so often and it can give a negative impression about being gay. There are closeted teens at my age who doesn't want to accept or associate themselves to being gay because it is conveyed in such a 'critical manner'. This isn't just using gay to describe something lame but even the word faggot. I remembered an aggravated guy shouted "faggot" at his friend and it seriously made me lost my appetite to eat my lunch that day. I may sound like an insensitive girl but the guy used it in such a disdainful manner that it made me feel despicable.

20. wanderinggirl

I use it but not as a negative thing. "A girl with a shaved head and a rainbow cape and men's pants riding her bike through the west village? That's so gay!" But really I only use it around certain people, I don't want people to think it's ok to say it to mean "lame".

After I came out to my brother, who has expressed unconditional support, he's occasionally used the phrase with me but as a joke, in full awareness of what he's saying. He doesn't mean it in a derogatory way at all, and he's never serious. I think he used it just to test how much of a sense of humor I have about it, to see if he can still joke with his lil sis. That's my interpretation.

But if he ever uses it in a derogatory way, or in front of a group of people, I will call him out on it.