1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Male prisoners claiming to be transgender to get special treatment

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by RainDreamer, Jul 27, 2014.

1. RainDreamer

Male Prisoners Switching Sexes to Get Special Treatment
    So. How do we deal with this? I hate, hate, hate, how people are saying that the push for equal human rights of LGBT people are creating a privileged class and pointing to this. This is a hard case, where we look for humane treatment of prisoners and recognize them as human, and respect their human rights. Then we have people that abuse the system.

Should we allow screening and assessment before granting rights? It is like when Nazi screening for jews to discriminate against them, that is how I feel. But without screening, we have these cases.

Maybe we should have equal treatment of gender in prison, and make it clear that whichever gender/sex you have, you are still being punished the same way?

2. Sabot Kitty

I don't know; on what basis is it being asserted that these prisoners aren't really trans? Considering they have no screening process, how would they know? Maybe the numbers are increasing because trans prisoners have more rights now, and not because of male prisoners wanting to have a cozier stay.

#2 Sabot Kitty, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. jargon

Could you elaborate on the connection here? I don't think anyone is suggesting mandatory screening, just optional screening available for prisoners who identify as transgender and are requesting some change in conditions based on their identity.

Granted, I'm not saying there are no potential problems with screening. While there might be some room for false negatives, here in the states I think most mental health professionals would err on the side of accepting someone's professed gender identity if it they were unsure. To be fair I'm not transgender personally and not particularly familiar with how they run things in the UK, so I may be missing something.

4. Mogget

You don't need to have dysphoria to be trans, and considering just how fucking dangerous it is to be a trans woman outside of prison, I doubt people inside of prison are going to claim to be trans to "special treatment."

5. Aldrick

This. This is just a bunch of whiny ass prison officials bitching about shit that they clearly are not qualified to determine. The obvious question to ask here is: how do they know that they aren't trans* considering that there is no screening process? Answer: They don't know, they're just basing it off of their own prejudices of what they suspect trans* people are like.

There is also an estimated 100 people claiming to be trans*. Yeah, that sounds just like there are HORDES of secret cis-gender men rushing to claim to be female for 'special privileges'. You know, like the special privilege of being a massive target for rape in an all male prison.

6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For this reason, if I was trans, prison isn't the place I would want to come out with it. So yeah, I think that it's BS that the prisoners concerned are doing it for 'special privileges' I mean gosh...I rather think it's brave of them to come out in prison.

7. RainDreamer

You know, I think you guys are on to some thing. Considering all the media that jumped on to report this are mostly right-wing...

8. Hexagon

I honestly don't see it as a problem. They might pretend to be trans, but they won't transition. That will become obvious pretty soon.

9. Candace

I don't see the point of giving them special treatment. Won't that just create a divide in the prison? "Well, why do they get special treatment?!", and all that jazz...

10. AlexTheGrey

Except, special treatment is a bit of a misnomer in this case. Creating an environment where prisoners are a bit safer from the threat of violence, rape and murder from other inmates doesn't seem all that special to me.