1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where were you when you joined EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Querying, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Candace

It was May of last year. I was browsing the internet in my bedroom (on my laptop) and I came across this site. I already knew about it before but never joined it. So, here I am.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Where was I physically? In front of my computer.

Where was I mentally? In search of viewpoints and life experiences on sexual minority issues.

Has it changed me? Not really. My out status says: it varies. I know what variables are at play in this, based on my personal life experiences with the world of work, friendships, and other circumstances. I see sexuality as an intricate web that is never the same for any two people. I do take something back. Being on EC has helped me further walk away from organized religion and I feel much better for having done so. I still believe in the religion in which I was raised but want nothing to do with the institution. Do you sense some anger in that? If you do, then your perceptions are correct.

Add: I've "met" some really neat people here and have read some really interesting viewpoints and life stories.

3. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I joined a few weeks ago am glad I did do :slight_smile:

4. Tetra

I was super confused by my identity, and tired of being held down by female stereotypes put forth by my extended family. I felt depressed and restless, and was finishing my second year of university.

Since then, I've come to terms (mostly) with my sexuality, and am, for the time being, just remaining more androgynous. I'm out to two friends, and am planning on telling more in the near future.

EC has been an amazing help, and I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

5. Silas

It was a few months ago at home, just searching online and came across this site and immediately noticed how friendly it was and how I could relate to what so many people were going through! I browsed for a while before finally having the courage to join - it was actually the presence of a Xena thread in the Entertainment section that made me think ok now I HAVE to register :lol:

I didn't really know anyone gay prior to joining the forum so it's been a huge help, made some awesome new friends and ended up learning a lot about myself just from being here. Now I'm totally addicted to EC :slight_smile:

6. Benj

Benj Guest

Where? On my bed when I was wandered Google on my phone looking for some sort of advice. I knew this site about 4 months before I decided to joined it because at that time, I felt really depressed and lost.
    Better? Yeah, maybe, I already came out to my best friend and he takes it better than I expected :grin: now I've planned to coming out to my parents in futures and I hope everything went well (I mean well for them):confused:

7. Jason29

I joined while i was at work I was looking online for someone to talk too and this site came up. Im glad i did every one is so friendly.

8. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was completely alone and had nowhereor noone to talk about and discuss subjects regarding my sexuality. I felt that I was alone and that there was something wrong about me being gay.
    I'm now completely ok with myself and have no doubts. Its been amazing so far! I hope to stay on this site for as long as possible and make new friends.

9. Lewis

Physically, in my room. Mentally, in the darkest point in my life so far. This site helped me through so many sticky situations and finally led to me coming out to my friends and family. So I owe EC a lot - it changed my life. I don't get on much these days, the crowd has changed a bit since I was a regular poster, but I still log in now and then.

Lurkers, listen up, join now and take the first step by coming out to people you do not know...us. Trust me, from there your life will only improve and it will get better (as cliche as that sounds). I was you, so I know.

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I joined EC in January. I had just blown an unbelievable opportunity with an absolutely stunning guy and for the first time in my life accepted for myself that I was gay and actually wanted to come out.

I can't say things have improved for me since I'm still feeling pretty down about being in the closet (100% my own fault) and am still majorly crushing on this same boy, but I've met a few awesome people on here so I'm glad I signed up.

11. I am straight

Greatwhale,

I started lurking here at EC about a month after you first came here. To me, you are the most interesting person here.

I don't understand this. You make it sound like this realization that you are gay just came out of the blue without a shred of warning. It almost appears to me that your sexual orientation changed, but I have always heard and read that orientation does not change for men (I've read that it can change for women though.).

Part of me feels like when you say that you never thought of yourself as gay before February 2013, you just mean that you never considered that you wanted to be in a relationship with a man. But the question of whether you felt physical attraction to a man is distinct from whether or not you wanted a gay relationship.

Did you ever feel any physical attraction to a man before February 2013?

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first joined EC, I was only out to close friends, but now I'm out to my family! ^.^

13. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I joined in February. I had seriously been considering the possibility that I was bisexual, and I was looking up things on the Internet and came across EC there.

And it's helped me get over so much depression, confusion, fear, anxiety and it's made me feel so free. It's the best forum I've EVER used. I've come out to a few more friends, I've had the courage to go to Pride, which I didn't last year because I felt unreasonably scared. I'm building courage to come out to my dad.

EC has made me feel so secure and confident about myself. :slight_smile:

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I joined back in January after I graduated college. It's helped me get answers to some questions I've always had but have been too afraid to ask people I know in real life. It's also helped me become more secure with being who I am and just being happy.

15. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was on the bus to a swim meet believe it or not. I had managed to get the very back seat on the bus, the one single seat so no-one could sit next to me. I had my phone on me and joined then. I had come to the recognition that I had a huge crush on a friend and had gone searching on google for info. I found this site and stayed around for a few days just reading before joining. So much has changed since then, and I'm truly thankful for this site. Before I came out to anyone, this was the only place where I could just be myself and put aside the real world for a bit. Even now that I'm out to some people, this is still the first place I check every morning to see what's happened overnight.

16. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was fourteen and in the process of coming out. Nothing really has changed. I'm still not "out and proud" and I still haven't had any gay experiences.

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I joined at the start of the year and from this site I've learnt that I'm genderqueer.

18. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

it gave me the courage to do a dating website which had brought a lot of regret and depression but it had to happen eventually also i really like reading the opinions of lgbt people here, lots of understanding to help me, and nice members also help

i am improving!!

19. Raysong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was on the phone with my best friend and I was telling her I was finding it hard to meet people and make new friends in the LGBT community and was getting kind of down about it. So she Googled LGBT forms and saw this site. We browsed it together on the phone and when I hung up, I joined. I'm hoping I can make friends here and will be able to have a place to be myself and such.

20. Gallatin

Close to three years ago, I was sitting in my apartment at university, getting ready to go back home and come out to my parents.