1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do when you're sad?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Gallatin

Play video games, watch a show on Netflix, pet my dog.

2. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Take a drive and get something to eat such as a meal or dessert and coffee. It usually works or at least makes things a little better.

3. Sabot Kitty

I almost forgot the last one; pets can be a great help. c:

4. hoodie boy

I talk to my stuffed animals and listen to music.

5. tulipinacup

I usually keep it to myself. I listen to songs that make me sadder and cry.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will go for a long walk, watch a comedy, listen to music, write about it, or read a book in which I can totally immerse myself, and forget everything around me.

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually I'll take a nice bubble bath and cry.

8. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I am really sad I write poetry, draw or go for long walks. If I am too sad to do any of those things I turn on a noise generator that simulates the falling rain and just listen until my thoughts are still again.

9. Benj

Benj Guest

When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead.J/k
    I'll take a shower and go to sleep when I'm depressed

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends on the severity of the sadness, I suppose, for me.

I haven't been glued-to-the-floor depressed in ages, but a lot of that has to do with, the fact I don't let it get to me as much anymore. This is easier said than done, though.

I've noticed several people mention distracting themselves, which is fine. But that doesn't work for me. If I don't deal with it, it'll just store itself somewhere, accumulating and collecting more to it, and it'll come back -- harsher to feel, harder to deal with.

I tend to meditate, at least once a day. I can, however, do this more, if I believe it necessary. When I do it for emotional reasons, I'll always face it head on, allowing any and all thoughts to come to me. I'll examine and analyze them, and decide just why I am feeling the way I am...

Has it damaged my pride?
    Has it offended someone/thing I care about?
    Have I allowed my emotions to control me?
    What benefits are there to harboring this/these feeling/s?

And so on and so forth.

I like to eliminate any emotional problems, as soon as possible, because I've experienced how damaging and wild they can become, if left alone or unchecked. In a way, being able to face, and vanquish, discomfort or sadness, is a means of returning to a very calm or happy mood.

Hitting the punching bag is nice, too. I'm not Bruce Lee, but I have my own style, and I punch and kick that bag for a while. It allows me to get out any frustration, and it instills in myself a sense of assurance, that I'm tougher than sadness is telling me. Also, I love wearing body weights when doing this, and going for as long as possible, without needing to take them off for a second wind. Progress with the body, basically, and another means of feeling accomplished, which tends to lead me back to positive feelings.

Drawing and writing are wonderful, too. To capture how you are feeling, in words or image, is not only a good release valve, it is a time capsule to look upon; then, or later. You can see how you are feeling, and get a better understanding of the complexities of your individualism. Studying and knowing myself, too, instills in me a sense of progress. I tell myself, when I can truly understand, then love myself, then I will be able to better give understanding, and love to another, or others.

Video games can be nice, but tend to be a temporary fix. I usually don't resort to video games when dealing with unsettling feelings, because it seems to just stop those feelings from worsening, as opposed to lessening or resolving them. However, I can see how this is beneficial to others. The only exception to this is, Poke'mon. As corny as this is going to sound, I treat my Poke'mon as if they were my own pets. I train and raise them, with patience and appreciation. So, yeah, Poke'mon can be helpful, especially when, after all that training and preparation, they go into battle with a skilled opponent, and curb stomp their asses, LOL.

Being around good company, too. This one is difficult to find, but when you do, it is wonderful. Offline, I only have two people, I can openly discuss serious self matters with. But here, on EC, that number is a bit larger. There have been several individuals here who have, either on my Wall, through personal messages, or through their thread contributions, enlightened my mind, amused my humor, warmed my heart, touched my soul, or just gave me a reminder of the reason I, ultimately, refuse to allow negativity to dominate my life -- because if I can't keep my head above the water, how can I pull others up with me?

11. Julieno

Play the guitar. I tend to look for the chords of some sad song and play it (try to at least). Just because it reminds me that if the person that wrote that song had never been sad, that song wouldn't exist.

12. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I ought to do: let myself feel the feeling, and instead of trying to push it away, witness it, knowing that it is impermanent, is not really 'mine' but rather is like a visitor that has arrived, will stay for some time, and then depart again. Relax, breathe. If tears need to flow, let them flow; and then just get on with whatever needs doing, while inwardly sending love through the body to soothe away the pain.

What I usually do: seek to distract myself by any means possible: music, snack food, a movie, and / or the Internet...I'm so sick of being sad so often, that I'd rather not do the whole 'witnessing' thing over and over again. Just get me outta here!

Damien. :dry:

13. the haunted

I try to distract myself with friends if I can, but that doesn't always work out.

I usually end up drinking or listening to sad music. When I'm sad I like to enhance my feelings of sadness through awfully depressing music and sad stories. Sometimes I just like to feel sad for a little bit. Lets me know that I'm still human. I'm not much of an emotional person, so it's healthy for me. :rolle:

14. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I listen to music that only worsens my mood or I usually just wait for something to come and change it.
    Wait for a friend to chat to me or to accidentally come across a video on YouTube that I like.

It's never usually that serious.

15. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try and distract myself with a movie and just don't talk to anyone. Try and make it pass haha. I am usually pissed off with myself instead of sad to be honest

16. TurtleCat

Anything that cheers me up. Playing a video game, watching a TV show or movie I enjoy. Spending time with my animals really helps sometimes. Talking to a good friend and venting.

17. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Generally, I only let myself wallow in that sadness for a good hour or so. Have a really good cry, and mope a bit. After that, I either write it down to find out (for myself) why I was feeling this way and what was the cause of it or I'll write a poem if it was a really deep profound feeling of sadness.

Once that's done, I go make myself a cup of tea, bundle up in my bed and watch something funny like Whose Line Is It Anyway or Keeping Up Appearances OR turn it into a Lord of the Rings marathon :3 (*hug*) This usually cheers me up.

18. jahow95

Get angry and hit things. It's hard because most of the things that are problems for me are just bad luck, and i don't have anyone to blame (i'm not religious) - bad genes meaning i can't join the military as i've failed the medical, homosexuality etc etc

#38 jahow95, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  19. kapiskin

kapiskin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I usually eat sweets like chocolate or ice cream. If I'm too sad, I go out and have some retail therapy

20. Greeley

I'm rarely ever sad, i'm like a happy puppy hahahaha.

But when it comes to it, i try to embrace my sadness and kind of get a hold of it more. I listen to sad songs, watch sad videos and get a good tear jerker on just to feel it haha.