1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong to lie about your sexuality on surveys/questionnaires?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbow Girl, Jul 19, 2014.

1. justjade

I wouldn't worry about it. It's really none of anyone's business.

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No not really. I mean if the survey is anonymous idk why you would want to lie but it's not really hurting anything if you do

3. RainDreamer

Depending on the situation. If it may compromise your safety, then lie to protect yourself from discrimination is acceptable. If it doesn't but you lie out of convenience, then it is arguably morally wrong, but it is up to you to judge that, as long as it doesn't harm others. When it does harming others, well, the people involved will start judging and they have the right to.

If the survey is anonymous, I suggest giving a truthful answer, especially for academic/scientific reasons. It would help so much to get the opinion of LGBT people being heard. And it would help the people doing the research too, as I knew from experience. <.< Lots of teenagers lie on surveys just to mess around (oh yeah, I identify myself as gay but I like to have sex with the opposite gender, like, all the time ) and it screwed all the data.Ugh.

#23 RainDreamer, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

If you aren't comfortable with a question, leave it blank or don't do the survey. If you lie you will be hurting the data they collect. Most surveys are anonymous, so I don't think it matters much if you tell the truth.

5. Sam.i.am1130

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on why it would be wrong.. Are you getting something for being dishonest about yourself or your past actions? Then it may be wrong.

But then again i can recall over the past 20 years 10,000 times where such questions where silly and being used for ill purposes like profiling. That was more in the past, though before the 2000s.

Its pretty obvious whether it is wrong or irreverent and used for ill purposes.

6. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Are you being true to yourself when you 'fudge' the information? Or are you denying/hiding yourself your people?

Perhaps because I am a product of the 20th century, where it was necessary to hide in plain site, the idea of lying about my homosexuality now is untenable.

Understand, I'm not obviously gay (unless I happen to have a partner and we are together), nor do I take out a full page ad in the Sunday paper. So I don't actually advertise, but when asked I no longer hide it.

A lot of those polls and what not actually do count for more than what you may think. Our people's voice needs to be heard. And if you are denying your orientation and ticking another box, then you are skewing the data, and might (in some cases) be shutting off the voice of your people.

We no longer have serious discrimination, its illegal now. This isn't back when I was a kid and keeping silent and ticking the wrong box just so my boss won't find out and fire me.

So there really isn't a reason to lie....

7. Nirvanafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have to lie quite a lot, our school every term does a "health" survey in wich I have to lie continually unless I want to spend the next terms lunchtimes in a stuffy room with an ill paid and un enthusiastic counsellor. As long as they think your ok then they leave you alone.

8. John2517

On an anonymous one I think you shouldn't have an issue with it being as your identity is not connected to your answer. But I can understand ones that require your name and info making people hesitant to answer truly.

9. sammy1

What kind of questionnaire are u talking about? Would it make a difference if u lied or not?