1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your gender dysphoria ever make you cry?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RayXxx, Jul 18, 2014.

1. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

I was wondering if anyones dysphoria has ever been so bad that it made you cry, and how often? Outside of home when at school or work, I leave this impression among my friends. They see me as tough and made unable to cry. But the truth is, some days the gender dysphoria hurts so bad I can't help it. For me it's the constant feeling of being trapped and hopeless, like my future will never lead me to anywhere but misery.

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get really sad but not enough to cry. My dysphoria is definitely not the worst kind ever.

3. stormborn

i'm not sure if i cry competely due to dysphoria, but i often cry because i am frustrated and upset with being born female. usually it isn't because of my body or because someone called me by the wrong pronouns -- it's usually just the entire, overwhelming situation.

4. birdking

It has before. But not often.

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only trans guy that cried about dysphoria. I cried often during my late teens and nobody knew. I've also had panic attacks over it. There are many ways to experience it. It's weird that at first I typed picnic attacks.

I'm learning to accept the pain and not deny the extent of it. The pain would find a way to come out anyway. Crying for several minutes is better than being furious for several weeks. I reckon most people cry or want to cry more than they let on.

I had a terrible day about two weeks ago. I wished that I would black out. Eventually my thoughts turned dark and I cried about all my pains including dysphoria. I try to see the positive in it.

I'm tired of the 'man up' thing and the brainwashing. Strong people are in touch with their feelings. It doesn't mean you should burst into tears in public because you stood on a snail. We control our actions and we should try to be reasonable... without turning into a robot. It's important to honour our feelings and let them out where it wouldn't look weird. See also "The Japanese Samurai Code: Classic Strategies for Success" xD I read it for business and I think it makes a better self-help book.

6. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to more, but yeah I cry when I get my periods.. but idk if that counts

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to get depressed in my heavy dysphoric episodes (Last November-December), and then I would cry for no reason. I would also get like three panic attacks a day, which could make me cry too from the lack of breath. I never did it in front of anyone. When it happened, I would lock myself in my room until it was over and if I couldn't, I would summon all my energy to stop myself. I ended up being exhausted at school because the direction made me so dysphoric, even though I told them that it was literally destroying me, they told me to deal with it. My dysphoria caused me depression, which lead me to cry for no reason all the time. This is a common way to deal with dysphoria, I think.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also not often, but yes, I do.

Mostly, it stems from the thought of never being able to be who I am. Other times, it stems from the thought of others never accepting me.

I don't think I've ever cried over my body, unless you count it indirectly. It's just that seeing my body reminds me of who others see me as, and that's just a shitty feeling. Otherwise, I just feel really uncomfortable.

9. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Cried once. I just get depressed as hell and the f word drones incessantly in my head.
    Also I get extremely irritated, the polar opposite of my usual demeanor.

For me dysphoria often sends me into shutdown mode. I'm high-functioning autistic.

10. RainDreamer

Depending on what triggers it. Sometimes I thought I could never cry anymore. Sometimes I cry like something in me broke.

Just listened to some songs about transgender people today and my goodness, I couldn't stop the tears. Just had to rocking back and forth while hugging my teddy bear till I calm down.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

At worst, I'll just feel rather humbled, maybe a little sigh, but then I move on. This tends to happen, when I see a lovely lady in person, on television, or on some magazine, and it happens to fit my "ideal image".

Otherwise, I handle it pretty well.

12. anonym

anonym Guest

Depends on my mood. When I am very depressed then yes, sometimes I do cry. However, mostly it's just this intense pain, anxiety and anger that I can't find any relief from. I also suspect I have autistic spectrum disorder and part of that means that expressing and regulating my emotions in a healthy way is really difficult for me. Sometimes the pain and anxiety gets so bad I feel pushed to overdose or self harm. Crying would probably be a healthier way for me to release these pent up emotions but I rarely allow myself to cry these days because it makes me feel weak and less of a guy. I have enough trouble trying to assert my gender identity as it is. If my family catch me crying they use it against me as proof I can't really be a man. If I cry I get really angry with myself.

13. yeah, sometimes I cry about it.

but usually it's frustration that gets me going. one day I'll be totally fine how I am and not think about gender bullshit at all and then two seconds later I say something or catch my reflection and it's like the floor disappeared under my feet and I'm in free fall.

the switch is so frustrating and so inconvenient! If the dysphoria was all the time, I could at least make strides to fixing my problems with my body (surgery or whatever it takes) but because it doesn't happen all the time, I keep having second thoughts about it and then it takes me by surprise all over again!

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I cry sometimes, usually out of frustration. Sometimes it all just becomes too much and I get so upset I can't help myself.

15. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to all the time, before I figured out what was up with myself. Also feeling suicidal was pretty normal for me.

Now I only cry when I have my shark week. Anger and tears. That's all I feel during that time.

16. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It makes me cry quite often... Almost daily. Suicidal thoughts have been fairly common, but things have gotten better since I got my hair cut. My friend always listens when I need her though.

17. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Yes, but it's due to my depression, as well. In my experience, depression exacerbates gender dysphoria. What's normally a constant, background sense of discomfort can become elevated to nauseating disgust. I'm guessing that if anything, they intensify each other; if one gets worse, the other gets worth with it. It's made me feel downright suicidal, and unfortunately, those feelings aren't uncommon.

18. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Sometimes :x And it's mostly triggered when I feel less than the gender I feel at the current time...My chest isn't flat enough, OR I'm not feminine enough....all kind of degrading thoughts as I stare into the mirror and the next thing I know, I'm crying.

I feel alone and hopeless in the cage that is my body and I'm so angry at myself because I'm letting myself down when I know I'm doing all I can. *Sigh* It's a terribly cycle...

19. hiddenxrainbows

I cry sometimes too! I actually just bawled all over my boyfriend last night because of gender stuff. I just got that stupid time of the month on Saturday and I've been feeling soo shitty about it, I couldn't hold it in anymore and I started crying and venting about how much it was stressing me out. I've always had depression problems, but it's been getting really really bad lately, and then this stupid time of the month didn't help. At all. I freaking hate these times, I really wish I didn't get the damn thing. It makes me feel like total shit, worse than anything else does. And I'm only out to a few people, so I can't really be myself much right now. So I think that got to me too and I just lost it, and I just bawled all over him and got his shoulder soaked with my tears...DX He was really cool about it and comforted me, but I wish I didn't get that distressed over being trans. I can't help it though. It's sooo disabling sometimes, it's hard not to cry sometimes. I'm not that bad all the time. Sometimes, I'm relatively okay, with just a kind of uncomfortable feeling in the back of my thoughts. But sometimes, something like that time of the month will hit me all of a sudden and I'll completely lose it and be out of it for a little while. It really freaking sucks; I wish I was cis. I can't wait to actually get my transition started so I don't feel so horrible about myself anymore.

20. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I have just one feature that I feel doesn't match my gender, my hair. I used to not only cry, but rip it out, but I feel better now. I still think I want laser hair removal though.