1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Tattoo Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maeve, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Maeve

I've been thinking about it for a while, and I've recently decided: I'm getting a tattoo! Or rather, two. I'm going to get a redwood tree and a psi symbol. They're both going to be fairly small.

The only problem is where to get them. They need to be able to be hidden, and in a place that isn't TOO painful. The psi symbol isn't very detailed, so it could maybe go on my ankle. I have no idea where the tree would go.

I've already got a tattoo place picked out. They do beautiful work.

2. Gabe92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have mine on my upper arms, it works well at work where they need to be mostly covered up. I know the calf is also very popular however you have to be wearing pants to cover it up or a long dress I suppose. I know a lot of people that have them on their chest and back or lower torso. However I believe if you get a tattoo it should be in a place where you can show it because you don't get a tattoo to hide it, you get a tattoo to express part of who you are in the form of art, and advertise it to the world around you.

3. Maeve

I'd love to show it off, but I may need to be able to cover it for work. I'm going to be working in schools when I graduate, and some schools don't allow visible tattoos. I need to be able to maintain a professional appearance.

My boobs/chest are off limits. So are my face and neck.

4. Greeley

PSI symbol sounds perfect for an ankle tattoo... but be warned, ANKLE IS PAINFUL.

The tree tattoo would be good at the back of your neck (if small) or possibly inner arm, but like you said you want to hide it.

Small tattoo's are difficult if you want to hide them because they will look a bit off if they are in a big space (which most of it is large space that is covered)

Inner Bicep might me a good place for the tree?

5. Beetle

I have a dragon on my ribcage/stomach. I'm going to get another soon on my arm, a Celtic hound from the Lindisfarne illuminated pages, and eventually more Celtic zoomorphs/knots. My family is pretty attached to our Scottish and Irish roots, and my grandma is from both those countries.

6. Maeve

I know ankle is painful, but a psi symbol is pretty simple. I love ankle tattoos, too. I think I like inner bicep. I could cover it easily if I had to, but show it off I wanted.

I sort of have an idea for a larger, shoulder tattoo but I want to see how these go first.

7. idream

idream Guest

I'd go with side, but I'm no expert on pain levels

8. Honestly? I have tattoos on the front of each of my shoulders and one on my upper back between my shoulder blades. The one on my back was the least painful to get and is the easiest to hide. If I am wearing a t-shirt no one would know it was there. I have to consciously choose clothing that would show it, but it's easy to do in summer with tank tops, etc.

There are lots of easily coverable portions of your body, but be aware that the skin that gets least contact with outside world will be more painful (like inner arm, stomach etc) and also it is painful to get tattoos over bones that are close to the skin (ankles, ribs)

However, I would recommend that if you want a tattoo in a certain place, as you said with your ankle, don't let the possibility of pain stop you from getting it. It can hurt when you're getting it, but with a small tattoo it doesn't take long and also it doesn't hurt when it's done (it does itch though, but your artist will tell you how to take care of it while it's healing :slight_smile: ).

Those amounts of pain for short periods are worth it as far as tattoos go. The pain doesn't last, but the satisfaction of your tattoo is forever. So don't let pain be the deciding factor because you won't regret it if you get what you want where you want it.

Good luck with your tattoos!

9. Maeve

Hmmm, I also like the idea of the tree on my side, between my hip bone and ribcage. I mean, it would probably be partly on my ribcage but mostly on the fleshier part of my side. It'll probably be no more than 4-5" tall and pretty narrow.

10. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That's so cool, can't not to add a reply in this old topic! :rolle: I adore different symbols for tattoos too, it's also one of the ideas for the upcoming mine :slight_smile: And trees too, I saw so many cool designs with them, like on StyleMann for example :slight_smile:
    I understand your feelings about hiding them, I don't want to make a big tattoo too, the small ones look more attractive and comfortable for me :slight_smile: Smth like this one for example :icon_bigg

[​IMG]

And I think that such place an an ankle is perfect, I would choose also spine or the back of my shoulders :rolle:

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's for work reasons, try your calves or upper arms. If you end up doing one like the psi on your wrist, you could cover it up with a wrist band if you're allowed to. I have a triskele on my wrist, and it wasn't painful at all. It felt more like a simple cat scratch, but not awful.

12. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Placement plays a huge role, especially if you want it to be easily hidden.

Just remember, the closer to the bone it is, the more it will hurt. So if you have a high pain tolerance level, the ankle is fine. I have four tattoos, and only two of them hurt. The one I have on my ankle, and the one I have on my shoulder blade. I have one on my lower inner arm, that I literally didn't feel a thing, and I have one behind my ear, and anticipated a ton of pain, but it being a semicolon and therefore quite small, I experienced no pain. Mostly just discomfort from the vibrating tattoo machine. But it's different for different people. Point is, you're definitely going to feel it, but it's up to you how you handle pain in general. I have a fairly high pain tolerance level, but that's not to say I didn't feel pain with the ankle and shoulder blade tattoos. It hurt. Period.

The most painful part of getting a tattoo is the line work, because it's a dragging motion instead of a back-and-forth motion like with the shading (colouring). Speak to your artist about the best placement if you want it to be easily hidden. They work with tattoos all day, every day, so will be able to advise you on placement, pain to be expected, etc.

Here's a chart showing the most and least painful places to get tattooed. I just don't agree with the shoulder being the least discomfort. It was quite painful for me, and bled a lot. And my inner arm tattoo didn't hurt at all. I think maybe it also depends on if the tattoo artist has a "heavy hand" or not. It's all up to you - Happy inking! (*hug*)

13. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I've always wanted a specific one on my thumb( i.e. very visible, very close to the bone, basically everything you don't want about a tattoo placement)...maybe I'll get it elsewhere though...

14. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know it's an old thread but I didn't want to make a new one. For a while I've been thinking of getting a tattoo about me being bi etc. But I don't like the symbols, the only one I liked was the double moon, but I have a moon tattoo already. I don't want it to be really recognisable either. I don't mind if once in a while someone understands or suspects what it stands for, but I definitely don't want it to be obvious. So I'm looking for something unique and subtle. The other day I randomly came up with the idea of getting a hydrangea flower, because their colours change and range from pink to blue, depending on the soil. Also I read violets have been used to symbolize love between women. Does anybody have another idea? Like a quote, or another symbolism?

15. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking about getting a tattoo symbolizing being agender but I hate the symbol for it so I'm not sure what to have.

Violets would be cool and I'd be surprised if someone picked up on the meaning. I guess it depends on what kind of style you want. A quote would probably out you depending on what you had.