1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

girls calling other girls "sluts" and "whores"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Jul 10, 2014.

1. dreamcatcher

This past weekend I went on vacation with three of my straight female friends. During the weekend, we went bar hopping and went to some of the clubs. Naturally, many young ladies were dressed up rather "provocatively" and all of my friends started talking about how they looked like sluts and whores. This was something that happened basically throughout the entire trip and it really annoyed me. 90% of my friends are straight females and almost all of them love to talk about which girls look or act like sluts. It annoys me to no end when I see so many girls talking about which girls look slutty and which do not, because in all honesty, why do you give a shit? I do not understand why it's so socially acceptable for a woman to call another woman a slut or a whore, especially when you don't know them. And most of the time, these same girls calling other girls sluts do things that would be considered "slutty".

Does anyone else constantly hear girls demeaning other girls by using the words "slut" or "whore"? What do you think about this cultural phenomena?

2. wanderinggirl

Ugh this is the worst. I think there are a few things behind this: we are told to act and behave a certain way, but then we see other people getting away with the same behavior, and it causes discordance. Furthermore, we see these women getting more attention than (I assume) us and our friends, who rely on more subtle means of garnering male attention (within the construct of a heteronormative society). This causes resentment.

There's this sort of double edged sword: on the one hand, women are supposed to be sexually progressive and independent, and should feel confident seeking it out if that's what they want. On the other hand, they're supposed to be subtle and "classy" about it.

And that's part of what it comes down to: it's seen as "unclassy" to act slutty, which is a classist term implying that those women are lower-class, cheaper, less refined. So even if those women are perceived as prettier, more outgoing, more confident, by calling them sluts and whores other women can feel superior.

In general, it's a really stupid thing to comment on. It might just be a way for the girls to bond, but like, come up with something more creative to say, PLEASE.

3. lowkey

lowkey Guest

as a gay guy, im not into slutty guys. there is such a thing as slutty. i dont go out of my way to call a guy slutty, unless im making a personal decision to explore them sexually or romantically, then i certainly will take into consideration there 'player,slutty' side. its important to note, i do not think there is anything wrong with being slutty, and it doesnt make me think lesser of them as a friend. but its not someone ill be typically interested in romantically primarily. the best way i can make a similiar metaphor is, with abortions. i am pro-choice, but when it comes to me personally, i am pro-life. but if someone else wants to destroy a fetus that is there choice. so is being a player/slutty.

One of my best friends is a lesbian, she loves saying the word slut about other lesbians when deciding who is romantically compatible. 'i cant date her, nor would i want to sleep with her, she is a slut and gets around ALOT' and i find it hilarious. she herself is a self admitting slut in highschool but has matured and wants something meaningful . i mean, i think slut has different meaning for some people. its not so evil really

#3 lowkey, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Like wondering girl says it's to make themselves feel better , when they are jealous of attractive women the best weapon they can use against them is to call them sluts and whores because it's a word or in this cause words used to shame women , to make us powerless and weak . What best way to destroy a woman that might be more attractive , has confidence and better looking than you call her a slut right .

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it carries the same weight for guys, who sometimes describe themselves as such and take it as a compliment. After all, men are expected to be the "conquerors" and each experience is considered an achievement. If anything, it seems they have the opposite problem: not getting around enough, whatever that means. So I'd definitely say men are judged less harshly for sleeping with many people.

6. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ugh. Even as a transman I hate that word with a passion. It always seemed like only heterosexual males would openly flaunt their sexuality while women and non straights cannot. This whole slut bullshit is an example of that.

7. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I strongly disagree.

There is no such thing as "slutty".
    It's a silly word made up by society, used to enforce the so called "moral values" that have established themselves over the last few hundred years, trying to force every single human down a very specific path of life, and type of behaviour.

I absolutely hate it when anyone calls anyone a "slut".
    There is no such thing. It's a disgusting concept created by society to judge and shame, nothing more.

8. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Spot on.

9. KnightAssassin

me and a friend are guilty of this .... we always talk to each other starting with hooker slut whore et cetra ( worse words i dare not utter here lol) but its all in good jest and we are really good friends
    We also talk about people and their clothes but ....
    *Hides*

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree absolutely with Black Raven.

Women and girls are not immune from misogyny, but often it's more than that; very well dressed but somewhat sexually clothed women and any poorly dressed women (often poor) who dare show skin are often accused of sluttiness by fashionable and better-off women. Snobbish social insulation is common, and invoking sexual morality is often a way to ostracise people they don't like - whether their sexual behaviour is the reason or the excuse.

11. UsernamePending1

Vancouver[Mon-Fri]-Calgary[Sat-Sun], Canada
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ahaha I'm so guilty of that, but I've almost always meant it in a joking fashion!!!

12. littlemonster11

I absolutely despise slut-shaming. I agree the term "slut" is used to demean women out of spite and/or envy. It's crazy how people are so comfortable with judging other women based on how "slutty" they look or act. Like, did it ever occur to you that the women you claim are "slutty" just have confidence in themselves? And what's wrong with that?

13. Candace

I don't think it's right at all. I feel that girls in this day in age still have pressures in being beautiful, presentable for society. Slut-shaming just, as the Aussie gay stated above, tries to separate the ones who show more skin (the lower class), from the snobby, higher class ones. A rift that doesn't need to exist.

14. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't (fortunately) hang out with people who go around calling others slutty. I am more familiar with people calling me slutty - straight at my face and behind my back. I think both are equally stupid and wrong. It irritates me to no end when I hear someone use that kind of words.