1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does how "smart" someone talks change how intelligent you feel they are?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Techno Kid, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Gen

Gen

Never trust the internet when weighing intelligence. The difference in those who appear intelligent, eloquent, or knowledgeable is often simply a result of them taking more time when writing to appear so and turning to Google whenever their intellect falls short. When I used to be a teacher's assistant for English, I always loved to read the in-class assignments directly after the take-home essays because the difference in not only use of language, but clarity of thought was almost always dramatic.

Personally, I have been told that I come across as either very intelligent or very pretentious and verbose online. Ironically, I definitely do not attempt to inflate my speech or intelligence online because people in the real world say the exact same thing. Who knows, the people who think I'm merely pretentious are probably right. :lol:

2. the haunted

If I have no other way of knowing how intelligent someone is, then yes, I am totally guilty of judging their brains based on how they talk and what they talk about.

I use slang and curse like a sailor despite being fairly intelligent, so I guess that makes me a hypocrite. Meh. It is what it is.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Crap, how'd you find out my secret? :tantrum:

This is mostly true of me, but I've gotten a lot better at making my speech actually mirror my writing. Only very rarely do I have to go to Google, and usually it's to confirm spelling rather than to find out the meaning of something.

I've noticed a lot of talk on the first two pages about what could be called purple prose-- writing that is designed to impress the reader by showcasing the author's use of fancy words and phrases. But most of the time, it doesn't work and makes the author look like a pompous tryhard. The people with the best language skills will skip this developmental ravine and skip right into prose that's strong without peacocking.

EDIT: advance apology for the TVTropes link, I can't refund the lost hours of your life XD.

4. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Well, if you tipe liek dis wen u respd 2 peple i gona thnk yur a bit dum.

I sometimes see responses in text lingo (abbreviated no vowels) on EC, and I just skip over their response because it is a bit annoying to me, but as far as slang or well known acronyms I have no issue.

I'm being blunt, I know.

5. teluphone

In all honesty, I do find Singaporeans tend to judge/condescend others so much more if you don't speak the correct English vocab in the context of a workplace.

The other day I accidentally said I broke my heel instead my sole tore off from my business shoes to my supervisor and he gave one of those suspicious stares.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd rather judge someone on the quality of their words, rather than how they choose to convey them. Sure, proper grammar and "adult" language can go a long ways, but if it's understood, we're usually good to go.

7. Melanie

Melanie Guest

i know some very intelligent, well-educated people that misspell words and get sloppy when they write informally. it doesnt really bother me.

as far as the word "fuck" is concerned, i dont use it for effect, i use it as many times as i need to to make myself feel better :slight_smile: yeah i'm selfish

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

It depends. Typos and bad grammar are fine, but It's hard for me to take someone seriously if they say something like "How r u 2day?" Unless you're on a phone, type like you would type an essay.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

While I do notice grammar mistakes, I'm not fixated on form, as I would rather focus on the substance of the message. However, I despise people who willingly make incorrect usage of language for whatever reason, such as textspeak, or "pseudo-intellectuals" who use a lot of big jargon that nobody can understand, in attempt to convince everyone how 'intellectual' they are.

10. jahow95

I certainly think that a persons speech tends to be an indication of their intelligence, but it's not definite for sure.
    I'm gonna blow my own trumpet here and say that I consider myself to be quite intelligent, but unless you get me talking about something intellectual my speech generally consists of lots of grunting and several words interspersed between plenty of swearing. When people ask about my grades they tend to respond with 'WTF'

I would definitely say that the spoken word tends to be more indicative of a person's intelligence than the written, especially if it's facebook/texting/EC etc.

11. ProtegeMoi

I don't really g.a.f.
    I can hold my own with pretentious assholes if needed. I have a degree in English. I'm a writer. If you heard me talk you wouldn't know it though. I have no need to impress people with my word choice. I speak from the heart and that's why people enjoy my company and are engaged. When someone talks to me and they come across like a textbook I call them out. I don't have patience and I get bored with it. I speak with emotion and fire. So for others I like more personality and less self importance.

Word of the day people drive me nuts.