1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you daydream?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by kay14, Jun 17, 2014.

1. kay14

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Before realizing you were Transgender did you daydream about being the opposite sex?

Like would you make up an opposite sex person in your head and pretend to be them when you were alone? Did it feel like they were another part of you? My trans cousin was telling me how she would daydream about being a girl and made a whole life for this girl and she would act it out when she was alone.

Did any of you do anything like this? I'm just trying to understand how it felt and stuff. Couldnt that have just made her think she was a girl because the daydream was tang over her life? I'm confused

Sorry if I offended anyone I'm just curious:slight_smile:

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I did this sometimes and I also had made up characters that were basically male versions of me. The daydream didn't cause her to be trans, she had the daydream because she was trans. (For me at least) it's a way of escaping what life is like when you're forced to live as the wrong gender and imagine what things would be like if you had just been born the way you want to be. It's basically a coping method (or at least it is for me; I can't speak for your cousin)

3. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I made an account and pretended to be a boy on another site once, before I realized I was trans. I actually almost liked using that account more than I liked using my "real" female account. That, and when I wrote for fun, I always tended to write more from the male characters' perspectives. That was probably more because I never knew how to be female, though, so it was harder for me to relate to my female characters.

4. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

You know how kids always make up imaginary characters? Well I had this one male character that I would use most of the time, much more than the female me. However, it didn't take until years later that I realized he was actually me. Once I really started imagining myself in his perspective, I knew instantly that I was him and had to become him, (me).

5. kay14

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    So that made up character wasn't taking over your life in a way in which you didn't accept?

6. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Yeah all the time. I daydream a lot even now. I love daydreaming I'm an owl! :slight_smile:

7. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

That character was me, and I accepted him as me. What I didn't/don't accept is the wrong body I was born with. It's not as if the character took over my life but was me all along, rather.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Always.

When I was imagining myself in fantasy land, I dreamed that I was male. And when I actually dreamed, I was either completely male or androgynous. Never female. I suppose I should've noted the signs. Haha.

9. birdking

^ oh wow so the character thing is common! cool, cool

I used to dream about wearing mens' clothes. Whenever my mom would take me to the store when I was younger I would always try not to look at the boys' section or I would get frustrated and end up "not finding anything"

shopping is SO MUCH EASIER now

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Throughout my childhood I did this… Even now, I still do this to an extent.

11. Paisley

Yes, I did, and still do. But it wasn't really another pesrona, I just imagined how my day would've went if I were a girl. I also noticed my inner monologue "voice" wasn't a guy voice, especially when my voice dropped, and to this day, when I think I hear what I consider the real me.

12. Yosia

I always do.

13. Entrian

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! In elementary school I had a twin brother persona I made a sort of imaginary friend out of.

14. Raatox

Oh, yes! So much, i dreamed about how my life would have been if I were a boy, and as some other persons wrote, it was like a part of me. And every time I wrote (good) stories at school they were about male characters. I also played a lot with soft toys, I had like one hundered, non was female... ^^.

But when i was a kid, like before 9 or something, I think I was a girl in my daydreams, that do i find a bit wierd. or was it simply so that i didn't had any real perception of gender until puberty...
    Anyone else?

15. stormborn

i definitey did. when i was in elementary school, i had an inaginary version of me that was a boy named kyle. i'd always imagine him (me) using the boys washroom and going on the boys team in games and stuff. at the time, i thought every little girl did that... :lol:

16. Maniacal Magpie

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am embarrassed to admit this but I had a relatively constant sexual fantasy of turning into a girl. Sometimes it would be more than a sexual fantasy. The problem was that I have or had an interest in turning into many things. The girl thing though was pretty constant. Because of its sexual nature though I didn't consider the possibility that I was one in mind until I cracked a few months ago. Then again I have noted some early concerns about gender identity. I just don't want this to be a phase. I have had curiosity about turning into a girl and what it would have been like for ages after puberty. I switched the sex of my MMO characters and found they fit me more and I have other signs that my gender never really was male from early childhood.

17. 2Bornot2B

^^This x2

18. oncetherewasa

When I was like 7-10, almost every game me and my friends played was imaginary and I always picked a guy character with a guy name. It didn't even occur to me how "odd" that was at the time. As far as imaginary friends go, I just barely, really vaguely remember having 2 when I was around 4-6 years old. I still remember them now because my mom will to this day go on about how weird they were to her since she never had imaginary friends. One was a girl whose name was Sally and she had pink skin and purple hair. I hated pink and purple at the time so she thought that was strange. The other was a little brown bat named Michael. She said I would be sitting coloring or whatever then snap my head up and point up at the ceiling going "Look out, it's Michael!" and she would freak out thinking I was possessed or seeing real spirit entities.. hahahaha

19. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to daydream about being male all the time. In most of my daydreams, I was male. I had this little life story going on in my head when I was younger where I was male. I just though that it was my imagination, but when I realized that I was trans, it made a lot more sense. It was like I had 2 lives, one where I was male, and one where I was female (which was my reality at the time). Now since I have come out, this has gone away.

I also would always be a guy character in any games that I played as a kid. Usually I would choose the name "Alex" when I played, just because it could be seen as male or female, so the adults would not yell at me.