1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My child has told me he is gay- but he is so young!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Curiousmum, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ginger cthulhu

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job.
    It also sounds like your son is very sure of what he wants.
    Both things are awesome.
    :slight_smile:

2. Red Turtle

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It sounds like he has thought alot about this and seems fairly sure of himself. I think it is possible for kids to know their sexual orientation or their gender at a young age. I knew that I liked girls when I was 7 and I knew I was a boy at 9. You sound like an awesome mom, by the way.

3. Colorful13

Believe me when I say that I am no expert when it comes to knowing when you yourself are gay or not, but when I was questioning my own sexuality I read SO many responses that said that they don't know when or if homosexuality is set in someones dna at birth but in most recorded (If im remembering correctly, forgive my bad memory) cases sexual orientation is set as early as the age of five. Perhaps this may be a phase and if so let it run it's course, your son knows his emotions better than anyone. but this is also very possible, if not more likely that he is truly gay. he seems to have come to terms with it and you should be proud that he was brave enough to come out to both you and his father (you seem like an amazing enough parent that you are proud :slight_smile: ). I apologize if this didnt help. :-/ keep being amazing :slight_smile:

4. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Even if he's very young, it's normal. I realised I'm a guy when I was 2 years old! :lol:

5. kezza

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi all im new to this site so any information and help would be grateful im very close to both of my children and thy have always been very open and honest to me, yesterday I was deverstated with what my son txt me , he had been very different over the weekend and I new there was something not right he txt me yesterday saying he was gay and that he had been contemplating killing himself wich was deverstaing to hear not that he is gay the fact he was thinking of ending his life he is my world and I will love him no matter what wether he is gay straight pink purple I love him unconditionally his dad as said he will love an support him no matter what , I just worried that he has thoughts of ending his life:icon_sad

#25 kezza, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  6. calgary

I sincerely hope this message finds you and your family well. I know for myself the low point in my mental well being was when I finally realized I was gay and that wasn't going to change. It is terrifying. The good news is that your son has reached out to you. You know now what has been troubling him and can help him. In my opinion anyone who is coming out to his parents really only wants to hear one thing. "I love you and I will always will love you".

7. kezza

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks its good to hear other ppls advice an what thy been through I tell him everyday I love him I never had that as a child so ive always made sure my kids no that I love them he is no different to me than he was last week I think he is very brave and im so proud of him how is has opened up now he as also told a few school friends he seems a different person like a weight as been lifted from him x

8. calgary

I'm very happy to hear that things are on the up swing. It doesn't really matter how much you know your parents love you and will accept you before you come out your mind plays some evil tricks on you. The struggle I have with coming out is how vulnerable it makes me feel and that's not a feeling I like. Though staying in the closet can make you feel just as vulnerable so there can be some depression there. In my opinion he's through the toughest part. How old is he? Now that he's out I'd just suggest keeping the lines of communication open. It sounds like your an amazing mom (or is it mum). After I told my mom she was very accepting, I chicken out and she told my dad, but never really talked about it face to face. They are both accepting but not overly supportive. I think they are waiting for me to bring it up if I want to talk about it but now it seems like the same pressure of coming out again. Just ask him questions as though he was straight. i.e. Are you seeing anyone and guys who you like. Nothing deep just general interest questions.

9. wanderinggirl

Awww your son sounds so confident and adorable! He's lucky to have a mom like you. Maybe you can sit down with the 11 year old and make sure he understands what it means and how to stand up for himself and for his younger brother.

And if he changes his mind and realizes he's bi or straight, that's fine; but in the off chance that he really is gay (highly likely) it's great that you're taking it seriously and not as a phase.

Good luck with your personal journey as well.

10. kezza

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi there my son is 15 but looks 20 we have talked so much since he as told me ive asked lots of questions but ive also told him if he thinks its to many questions tell me to stop I am so proud of what he as achieved in a short space of time and what he will achieve in the future he is a very bright young man he is 6ft4 and he is my gigantor lol (that is what I call him as im so small ) thanks so much for the advice it really does help xx

11. Silas

Just want to say kudos to you Curiousmum for being such an encouraging and supportive parent, your son is lucky to have a mom like you looking out for him! :slight_smile: I wish more parents could be like you!