1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rock, paper, scissors

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by redneck, Jun 13, 2014.

1. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay I figured this game was more universal than soccer (football to most of the world) today at work we had a short pause and goofing off me and a friend were playing for a minute. Then we received several questions as to what we were doing. The people who didn't know were from other countries Nigeria, Gautama, and Mexico. For a game I thought everyone knew it seems that very few cultures know. So If you would indulge my curiosity, can you tell me where you are from and if you know this game.

Also, how about tic-tac-toe? (figured if wrong about rock, paper, scissors I'd ask about this too)

In the United States it seems everyone past the second grade knows them.

2. White Knight

In Turkey, when I was a kid RPS wasn't known. We only know it and see it on American movies or shows.

Also know Tic tac toe from movies as well. We had our similar game called 3 stones.

Tho those are my experiences on our local. There are many games I didn't know while growing up.

3. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    what is "3 stones"?

4. White Knight

Actually very similar to Tic tac toe. 2 players get 3 different colored stones or similar small objects to make their pieces identifiable. You can think them as Xs and Os. They place their pieces on the board usually drawn on dirt. Like this:

[​IMG]

Then you try to make lines with your stones just like in Tic tac toe. Difference is you move your stones across the lines untill one of the players win.

5. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh cool, looks fun

6. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks interesting I suppose that moving the stones would eliminate the problem of a cat (tie) game. In tic-tac-toe about the only time it doesn't end in a tie is if one player isn't playing attention.
    Can you skip over another stone? For example if it was the player who has the darker stones turn could he move the stone on the bottom left?

#6 redneck, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. Hexagon

Lizard Spock.

Yeah, Rock Paper Scissors exists here. As does tic tac toe, but under a different name. Namely 'noughts and crosses'.

8. White Knight

No skipping. Actually while playing the game I noticed there ain't any cross-line matches win in this version.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Diego89

What? Really? It's called "Piedra, papel o tijera" and everyone knows it down here.

11. stephenstills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What is this?

12. Yosia

I always play rock paper scissors and tic tac toe!! We usually call it noughts and crosses here though ^.^

13. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Practically, everyone seemed to know of this game when I was growing up in Maryland.

14. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

In Chinese its Paper, Scissors , Rock

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I've heard it called Rock, Paper, Scissors, and Paper, Scissors, Rock. Me, personally, I call it the former because, to me, it rolls off the tongue easier and quicker.

I don't have anything spectacular to add, except this marker on memory lane:

Back in middle school, a few kids used to play this, before class officially started. In this class, there was an individual who liked to hit people, and pretty much push people around. This had been going on for a while. Anyway, one morning, I decide to play Rock, Paper, Scissors, with this fellow.

He has Scissors, and I get Paper. He begins to say, " Scissors cu-- "

*SLAP!*

I slap the living hell out of him. He wants to know why I did that, so I tell him, " You're lucky I didn't choose Rock -- I'd have punched the shit out of you. "

Needless to say, he mellowed out. He didn't stop being a dick, but he stopped hitting people.