1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 16 too young to know your gay?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Countrygirl545, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope! Not at all my dear! I was 15 when I started questioning, so it is not too young at all! Many people knew before 16 too, so you are all good :slight_smile:

And don't let anyone else tell you other wise!

2. Closetlesbian99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope! I knew I was gay at 12.

3. lionfood

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, not too young. I didn't know what "gay" was until about age 11 and began questioning at age 12. I figured I was attracted to women by 13, and soon after, I discovered that I had absolutely no feelings towards men other than familial/friendly, and that some of them are pretty.
    I'm 15 now and I'm gonna come out soon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Teslahemian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think 16 is too young. I "came out" to myself personally at 22 (24 with a few good friends and family), but for years before that, I knew, there were plenty of glaring signs. I just wasn't ready to accept them fully. I think everyone experiences things differently due to environment and, in general, how you view the world. 16 was too early for me to "come out" even to myself. But, that doesn't mean that that is the case for everyone. Something I have learned and try to take to heart, though: whatever you believe in, try your best to be confident about it. It really helps!

5. Natalie S

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think 16 is too young to know. I began to question myself as bi at age 13. Although I have so far come out as bisexual, I am now 15 and believe that I am a lesbian.

6. It's up to you to decide! If you truly do feel that you are a lesbian, then don't let anyone tell you that you are too young to know. Besides, like many other people said, no one ever questions if a heterosexual-identified teen really knows they like the opposite sex. Just follow your heart and be who you are! :slight_smile:

7. BelleFromHell

Nope. It wasn't for me.

8. RussianPinkLady

16 is not too young, i realized i was gay at 11
    there is no age (old or young) that is too late

9. Sarah2695

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It is never too early to know who you are and what you like. I've liked girls since I can honestly remember. I even told a girl that I considered a friend that I didn't want a guy. I just wanted to move in with her and adopt kids. I thought it was a novel idea.

10. Polterpup

I don't think it's too young at all. Actually, I think that's around the age a lot of people discover their sexuality. I'm just a couple years short of sixteen and I know I'm a lesbian. There's no right or wrong age to know. I've seen people who have discovered it at age eight and some people who just discover it at age forty. So, if you believe you are a lesbian, even at age sixteen, then you are probably a lesbian.

11. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is 6 years old too young to know you prefer chocolate ice cream?

12. FeketeHajnal789

I don't think that you are too young too know your sexuality - in my opinion, too young may be only before you have entered puberty, because you do not really have sexual interests at that age, such that you may end up taking only your romantic interests (which develop much earlier) into account when defining yourself, which may later end up less compatible with your sexual predispositions (once they form) than you expected. Thus, as you are 16, I'd say you are well old enough.

In my case, I realized I was gay at the age of about 11, when I started developing sexual interests for boys. Previously though, I had (slight) romantic interests for girls (when I was about 9, I believe), so I couldn't quite know (and I was too oblivious to take any of my generally gay behavior into account). Anyway, once the romantic feelings for boys started hitting in as well, I realized how much more intense they were than anything I'd ever felt for a girl, and everything was then evident to me. I subsequently lost all romantic/sexual fascination with girls for good.

Well, that's actually not quite true - I had a romantic attraction to a girl at the age of 14 and I cannot imagine why. These kinds of things can significantly destabilize the image you'd been forming of yourself. Bearing this in mind, the older you are, the more likely it is that you've experienced more of this kind of "surprises", such that you end up having a more precisely defined notion of your identity once you've interpreted them. However, as these things are not that common in most people's cases and are rather trivial when they do occur (as in my case), they should, in my opinion, not be regarded as indicative of the fact that in adolescence, one is still too young to know one's sexuality.

13. lovely lesbian

I don't think 16 is too young to know your gay lots to people realise when they are much younger I thought I was at 13 but never came out now I'm 28 I have

14. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are people who are younger who have worked it out. I was 27 there is no right or wrong age to find out

15. AmiBee

16 is definitely not too young. I began questioning at 12 and definitely knew that I am lesbian by 16. I didn't come out until I was 18 yo but hey it was the 1980s. I recommend coming out first to friends and/or family that you know will be accepting. If you know that you're parents definitely won't accept you, I suggest being financially independent before coming out to them. Good luck.