1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever feel awkward changing with straight people of the preferred sex?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by the haunted, Jun 10, 2014.

1. the haunted

Do you ever feel awkward changing with straight people of the preferred sex?

My best friend is a straight female. She knows I'm queer, but we're so close that she feels comfortable getting naked in front of me. Sometimes it makes me feel really awkward. I don't want to glance at her (not for sexual gratification) and her think I'm a pervert or think I'm enjoying it too much. :eusa_doh:

Sometimes I feel like she does it on purpose. I have suspicion that she wants to make me her experiment girl. :confused:

So anyways, do you feel awkward?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose I would...but then I feel awkward changing in front of ANYBODY so...

3. Melanie

Melanie Guest

I dont change in front of anyone, in fact I wish people would cover the hell up more at the gym. Aint nobody want to see that... at least I dont. I dont care what they look like.

4. supernova

Out Status:
    All but family
    My friends occasionally change in frount of others, but it is never awkward. Then again i am immune to awkwardnes... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I'm changing with my friends we're generally just changing out of school uniform and into other clothes. So it's just school shirt off -> tshirt on, jeans on under school skirt -> school skirt off. Which isn't really awkward, no.

6. Kreiger

I just make sure my eyes become intimate with the ceiling when my guy friends start changing.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'd tell them to get a room. Man or woman, It's not my business to see anybody changing.

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best friend and I used to change into our pajamas in the same room at sleepovers. It always made me feel very awkward, especially since I had a crush on her. When I came out, she started changing in another room.

9. Fitzkitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you take this response with a grain of salt:

The concept of sex is a very open thing for me. Mind you, if someone is changing in the room and out of my line of sight I will not turn around.

It happens, though, when I'm having a conversation and someone full on in my line of sight starts changing. I won't stare, but if something catches my eye, I will look. And it's not to judge, or to be a pig, but hey intrigue is intrigue, beauty is beauty, yada yada :slight_smile:.

I will -never- advocate that a person's clothing, or lack thereof entitles me to anything about them. Therefore I say nothing, I do nothing. But I may look. And I think that is okay :slight_smile:

10. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Back when I was in school, as a pre-teen, most girls were glancing around to compare themselves, but I looked. Now it makes me feel like a creep. As I got older, I stood in the corner and averted my eyes as much as possible, thinking they knew. I, now, have no problem with it. People are people, skin is skin.

11. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to run in the morning with some coworkers. We would all shower afterward and of course there were no curtains in the shower. I was nervous the first time that I would feel awkward, but it didn't really bother me. I just made a point to not look at them. (It helps that I wasn't attracted to any of them.)

12. laurenc

laurenc Guest

I personally do not like to change around anyone ,but I guess it helps that my physical appearance makes me very uncomfortable and I feel sorry for others who have to see me.

13. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i got used to change with people around and i dont mind them changing around me

14. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind changing in front of straight girls, but I feel a bit awkward if they change in front of me. I don't change in front guys.

15. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I honestly don't mind changing in front of anybody, or seeing anyone change.

Suppose I'm just wired that way, I simply don't mind. If I see something I like though, I'll look (Look, NOT stare). You see, if others are uncomfortable changing in front of other persons, they can just change somewhere else. But that's just my opinion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Fennec

Out Status:
    A few people
    This reminds me of things that happened when I was living in student dorms. My friends (male and female and trans and it didn't matter) would all have no issues changing in front of me. One of my very uptight male friends actually surprised me when I was bothering him about us being late and dropped trow in front of me. I don't see it as awkward at all. But then, I'm not sexually attracted to all of them. It doesn't make much of a difference to me either way.

17. PurpleGrey

By the time I realized that I liked women, I no longer had any reason to change in front of anyone. Back in middle and high school, when I assumed I was straight, I hated changing anyway for PE. I've always been more modest than most.

I guess if I knew then that ladies are awesome, I would have been a total creeper. I know this, because I was a total creeper about boys back then.

18. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be more concerned if they felt awkward changing or showering in front of me. It's never been an issue for me and I wouldn't want it to be an issue for them.

I think one of the big reasons why there are so few openly gay sportsmen is down to the 'changing room issue' and the possibility of upsetting the dynamic of the team in that close environment.

Thinking back to my school and college days, I spent a lot less time checking out the other guys getting changed of showered than some of the supposedly straight guys. There were some who craned their necks to check out another guys tackle and then had the audacity to call me out for being gay. Never could reconcile that one.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a history of being uncomfortable being nude in front of others that went as far as weaseling my way out of showers in junior high PE.

I have loosened up in recent history, although the only time I ever change around others is when swimming. (I do nothing else involving a gym.) My comfort level varies wildly. Probably on how I'm feeling that day, who else is present, how they are acting, and maybe even the specific locker room. At times, I fully strip in the showers. At other times, I don't strip until at the locker. At least I never stoop as far as doing any tricks involving putting a towel around my middle, or heading for a toilet stall.

As for others changing, well, it's not really an issue. I do worry that other men might be uncomfortable if they knew a gay man was present. But, at the same time, I figure that rationally any man is going to have to assume that if you change in a public setting that sooner or later a gay man will see you.

And yes, I have been known to take a quick look here and there. But I avoid staring.

My bigger worry is for a future maybe. If there is a time I'm changing with someone who knows me, however casually, and knows I'm gay. That would be the time I'd be the most worried about his comfort level.

20. Yosia

I never ever ever change in the same room as someone. For gym at school i always made sure noone could see me in the corner where there is like this bit which sticks out ^.^