1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brave son just came out.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Bmx93, Jun 2, 2014.

1. HIL91025

You're obviously a fantastic, supportive family. One thing that makes this country so great. However, I'd leave it up to him who he comes out to, you've done your part, just continue being supportive. :slight_smile:

2. Hyaline

I can't speak on behalf of your son, but odds are he was still coming to terms with it himself. At some point he will probably open up about it. My mom and I had a discussion just recently that answered all of her questions, I came out at 20 and am 39 now. It wasn't an intentional delay in responding to her questions but rather never a good time to sit and talk at length about it. We hashed lots of family stuff out during a road trip from Northern California, home to Southern California. But yay for being another supportive mom!!! He'll open up at some point. Some teens have a hard time opening up to even the most open parents.

3. MilesmilesMiles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Let him decided when he is ready to tell his siblings, I havent told my brother that I am bi because I don't think he is ready. It could differ between the maturity of the other brothers and sisters. Its good that he told you:icon_bigg

4. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If more mothers were like the OP, the world would be a much better place.

5. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's so nice to hear stories about parents who love and accept their children. Thank you for being there for your son. You've saved him a lot of despair that other kids have to go through. You are always welcome to ask any questions here. :slight_smile:

6. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

If only all moms were like you...

7. Nick07

From another parent's point of view: if the relationship between you and your kids is so open and understanding, why you consider your son "brave"? If he knew from the start that it would not matter at all to you, he would not need any courage to tell you.

And about telling the siblings. It depends on your son's wish. And also about the way you have brought the younger ones and what message you want to give them (e.g. "it is totally ok to be bi but you must not tell anyone).
    Besides, they are old enough to be aware of their own sexuality already and this would probably not be the first time they talked about it.

8. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are one cool mum

9. Bmx93

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I consider it brave because it was a big step for him to tell me, as close as we are it must have taken some guts . I'm not sure why you would question that. I surely took him a lot of thought and even tho I've always told the kids it's fine he may still have been a little worried how I might react as it was something he knew I'd never faced before!
    As for the younger children , I have bought them up to be as excepting as possible and my daughters have been brilliant but my two 10 year olds are a bit sill and immature and so is my other 14 year old and inclined to tease so my son has decided it's not the right time for them to know. I agree!
    He is 15 tomorrow and although I did know what I wanted at 15 I know even asking my mom for tampax or new bras took me a lot of build up! And I also had to ask to go on the pill which I was scared to death to ask. Nothing even in comparison to what my son has told me so I am proud of him and I do think at 14 he was really brave .
    So that's why I put that in my title. Ok?

10. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One great mum!!

One other point:If you ever feel that it would benefit your son to become a member of this site, if you asked any of the mods they could delete your thread so that he would not know that you have been here.

11. Bmx93

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's a good idea ! ! I think he would benefit from this site, I will do all my research then I will tell him about it .
    He would know my user name tho I'm sure he's guess it and I could just take my pic off so if ever I wanted to go back on here he wouldn't see me :slight_smile:
    Not that he would mind I don't think but maybe be easier for him to ask without mom been there if there were things he wants to find out !

12. shadowraptor

I agree with you. It definitely is a brave thing to do. I can relate to what your son is going through. I was constantly in doubt, and it wasn't until I could confide in a close friend or two that I realized there was nothing wrong with it. I firmly believe that I was born this way for a reason, so there's no reason why I should double-take myself. There's always the question of how people are going to react; people might seem accepting on the outside, but once it becomes a personal issue they might have a completely different reaction. Your son certainly had to muster a lot of courage to come out, and kudos to him for that!
    Let me just reiterate the points made by so many other people: you are a FANTASTIC parent. I'm so happy that there are people like you who aren't afraid or don't have any objections to orientation, and you realize that it's not something you can change. You don't skirt around the topic, you don't try to distort it, you don't chalk it up to "just a phase" as so many parents do; you see him as he is and I applaud you for that.

I remember when I told my mom, she was accepting but still treated it as a phase because I told her I "thought" I was gay, even though at that point I knew I was. She still talks to me about girls, not boys. Maybe it's because I just haven't told any of my other family members, but I still feel a certain sense of hurt. Your son is so lucky that he doesn't have to worry about that, because he has you. I hope you continue to be a source of comfort for your son, and that he can tell you all of his secrets when he feels ready. But for now, just keep being a mom. Give him time to settle into his skin, and a deeper trust, more than you could imagine, will be the result. (*hug*)

13. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Bmx93.... these kind of threads is like knocking a ton of bricks off my shoulders with just 1 finger... because I just can't explain it how happy it can be.. to have a mom just like you... that kid is the luckiest on ever hehe... while on my side its only a dream... hopefully my parents come around and accept me:icon_bigg big hugs for you... (*hug*) I am proud of you.. you have done great :icon_wink

14. Dexter Colton

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We need more people like you in the world, like now

15. Bmx93

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    He told me yesterday the night before he decided to tell me he didn't sleep a wink and sweated all night but after he told me his news he has slept like a baby!!! Sooo happy he is feeling better now. He suddenly seems older to me?
    He was telling me about the boy he has met :slight_smile:

16. Hyaline

Whoa, him opening up to you about someone he likes, is huge! Tread lightly and be supportive. Gosh we are all so fragile at that age.

But YAY!!!! I can't think of anything else to add...

17. Bmx93

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    He keeps giving me hugs it's quite funny it was his birthday yesterday and he kept giving me big hugs not done that for years lots of quick hugs are normal but theses are big huge hugs I think he's happy :slight_smile:
    He's not spoken to me again about his friend, I will just carry on as normal and hopefully he will tell me more soon

18. Colorful13

Your a great parent for being so supportive towards your son... also I think for the question on where to go next, is to carry on with how it's going then keep an open honest relationship so that he can tell you if there's something wrong, (from your thread i think he will know that he can talk to you :slight_smile:. If your confused or have questions regarding his sexuality or anything that might relate to him being gay, he seems open and comfortable enough to allow you to ask away. If this may be a problem though, in my personal experience, i didnt want to talk about it for a while, so use your best judgement to how you think he feels. Dont know if this helps but good luck...

P.s hope he had a happy birthday =)