1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game author?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, May 31, 2014.

1. 741852963

A good author no doubt, but until today I never realised how much of a bigot this guy is.

Some of the quotes this guy has come out with about gay people. In particular his beliefs that homosexual behaviours should remain criminalised, in his words:

"to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society. The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity's ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships."

Whilst his views seem to have mellowed over the years they are still pretty extreme and he seems to be very, very much against same-sex marriage.

And the bizarrest thing is he was quoted as saying he has "gay friends" - how can you possibly have a friendship with so much contempt present?

Well, I was planning on reading a few more of his books and renting the Ender's Game film - but not anymore. He doesn't deserve a fraction of a penny from me in royalties.

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmph, I knew he was homophobic and all, but I didn't know he was that far out there. :/

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, he's a wacko alright. That is part of the reason why I showed no interest in seeing the EG movie. What good is it to be a great writer if you are an abominable person?

The worst part is, he's projecting his opinion onto "the community" and treating it as if everyone agrees with him. I'm glad he's not fully correct there.

#3 Argentwing, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Yeah, he's a homophobe alright. I do really like the Ender series though, I've read a lot of the books in it, and find them very interesting. Nothing in the books never struck me as homophobic, and I did go to see the movie. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to see it, but it was a good movie.

5. Kreiger

He's about as out there as Mel Gibson and assholey as Tom Cruise, but I still watch their stuff. If you're worried about giving him money, just get em from the library.