1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breast feeding in public?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by finlandwrc, May 30, 2014.

?

Is breast feeding in public acceptable?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    80.4%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. No opinion

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. XenaxGabby

XenaxGabby Guest

I think babies should be bottle fed in public and breast feeding should be done at home.

2. Right, yeah. If breasts weren't considered "private parts" then there would be no scandalousness to get off on. You're totally right that if it was totally normal to see breasts, they would be far less sexualized and thus less creepy voyeuristic type things would occur.

My point is that just because some people are grossly oversexualizing a non-sexual part of someone's body, it doesn't mean we should prevent babies from being fed when they are hungry and in view of people.

3. AlamoCity

A newborn child is like a person with special needs/diet that has to be fed at certain times, kind of like a diabetic who has to have certain foods at certain times. It's almost medically prescribed to breastfeed a hungry infant. As such, there should be no qualms or public outcry about breastfeeding in public.

Personally, I was breast fed and my mom would take a blanket for privacy or take me in private to a bathroom (from what she told me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

4. black-cat

I think with a veil or cover it is fine, though just doing it bare is a bit creepy in my opinion,but hey, their body+baby so their rules!

5. Haters should grow up and stop staring at boobs like it's for sex. Breastfeeding is a health necessity and not only it provides the baby with nutrients, it provides antibodies to the baby to fight infections.

If someone gets disgusted, he/she should either change seats or stop looking. Using the bottle doesn't provide the same emotional bond with the baby compared to going natural.

#25 anthonythegamer, May 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents shouldn't be forced to hide in a dismal corner so they don't offend someone with *gasps* breasts! We're not in Victorian England, and no rational explanation has ever been given to me why breast-feeding should be considered inappropriate in public.

There's no need to specify discretion; most, if not all, already are discreet, and saying so implies that there's a problem with it.

7. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Can't fathom why this should be an issue for anyone, outside of the Helen Lovejoys of the world.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah... I really don't understand how anyone could possibly be against this? What harm is it doing you, exactly?

Sorry, just a thing I can't empathize with at all, I guess.

9. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd rather see a chick breastfeeding than listen to a baby scream because it's hungry.

10. Polterpup

I think it's perfectly acceptable. Even if I didn't think it was, it's not my place to judge.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's ok if the event is covered. That's why they make blankets or even maternity clothing that allows for that. The breasts tend to be enlarged during this period, the kid could be slurping like there's no tomorrow, and, really, do we need to see that?

12. flymetothemoon

Would you want to eat with a blanket over your head? I know I certainly wouldn't, and when I have a child I certainly won't be making them do so either.

I apologize if you find this offensive, but this is a big hot button issue for me. It is as natural for a baby to be fed from a breast as it is for you to drink from a water bottle or eat a snack. In fact, it may even be more natural. Do you need to cover your body to do these things in public? Nope. Do you have to hide out in a bathroom stall to do so? Nope. So why should a kid have to do one of those things to eat when they're hungry?

Babies shouldn't be forced to take formula, or even a bottle with breast milk in it, just because they're in public. In fact, some babies will refuse a bottle because it doesn't feel like what they're used to.

I frankly think it's awesome to see someone who is brave enough to publicly say this is how babies SHOULD be fed when possible. And by when possible, I mean whenever physically possibly, not whenever everyone around the mom is comfortable with it. I HATE the fact that people act the way they do about breast feeding in public. I hate that women feel ashamed or afraid to do it because people stare or make comments and so on and so on. A friend of mine had to breast feed her baby at my wedding, and she said it was the most comfortable she had ever felt doing so because nobody was fazed because my family is used to that since all of us were breast fed, and fed publicly if we needed to be.

13. Lipstick Leuger

Me also. I not only nursed my kids in public, I did so well past infancy. I never had one person come up to me and make a comment but I had a few strange looks. I just gave them my Madonna smile and kept right on. My breasts are NOT for sexual consumption, they are for feeding children. People need to get over it.

---------- Post added 30th May 2014 at 03:10 PM ----------

Why would they need to be covered? They are simply milk holders, like the bottle, which is shaped like a Phallic symbol BTW. So people would rather see a penis shaped item in a childs mouth than what nature intended? The breast?

I see male breasts all the time, and who really needs to see that?

14. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I fully support it.

And I also find the need for it to be covered odd, as if it's something to be ashamed of. After all, we're animals, mammals, and that's how the species feeds it's young.

What's so offensive about nature that it has to be covered?

Whip it out wherever and whenever, and I'm fine.

15. justjade

I think it's OK. What I find disturbing is the fact that there are women out there who feed their babies nothing but formula.

16. flymetothemoon

Now, I am completely in support of breast feeding whenever possible, BUT I would play the devils advocate here and say it's not really fair to say it's disturbing that there are some women who feed their babies nothing but formula because you don't know their situation. Maybe the mom needs to be on a medication that makes it so she can't feed the baby. Maybe for some reason the mom's milk never came in. This kind of comment can hurt people who had every intention of breast feeding until something went wrong. A lot of times those people already feel guilty and like they must have done something wrong.

17. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed. Babies can get loud when they're hungry

18. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

If the mum isn't being too obvious about it. I understand that it is something that is unwanted but necessary.

19. flymetothemoon

Can you explain why exactly it would be unwanted?

20. Kabuki

I don't really get all the fuss about it. I find it to be a very beautiful thing, seeing the baby connect with his/her mother like that. People need to learn that breast are just another part of the body and it is use for something, not to start boners(sorry for this, but most people think this is the reason they exist) but to feed their child.

We want people to see lgtb relationships as something natural, that we can publicly express our love and affection, but we can't accept the image of a mother feeding her children?! I really don't get people sometimes. :confused: