1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"the gay best friend"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dactyl, May 28, 2014.

1. Dactyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you had any strange experiences since coming out with girls suddenly wanting to be your best friend and assuming that you have the answer to all of their trivial life issues?

Thought it'd be fun to hear a few :wink:

2. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

For the 3 I've talked to about my sexuality, yes.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very common haha. And it annoys the heck out of my boyfriend and I when a girl asks, "Will you be my gay best friend?!"
    They really do think we know everything. It's funny.

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    kind of but not really, in fact that is what I told my a small sample of my friends I didn't want happening because they were treating me like a G.B.F and then they went onto say "we were gonna treat you like a girl anyway." :lol: But, yeah I have never had any G.B.F experiences.

5. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, we started off as friends and I came out pretty early. At first we would go out and have fun (usually to the bar) and I was her friend "redneck" who happened to be gay. When she started introducing me as her gay friend "redneck" like I was a trophy I ended the friendship.

6. Saint Otaku

None of my closest friends have this mindset, but some of my other acquaintances do--it's quite off-putting. :/

7. Dactyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've literally come out to one person and already they're treating me differently even though I asked them not to. They were going to ask me a question and they were like "oh, you're gay, you'll know the answer!"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :wink:

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why not start introducing them as your "female best friend" or something similar? It just might get across to them.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, anyone who'd expect me to be a gay best friend isn't likely to be my friend at all.

10. Colours

My best friend jokingly calls me her gay best friend. In fact I made a joke about when I came out to her. "Now you've finally got a gay best friend!" I think it's funny.

There have been a couple of her friends who I've seen a few times who did want me to be their gay best friend but I just laughed it off a bit. Said I was taken. Lol

11. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to four of my closest friends about a week or so ago and they treated me no different since. Not like I want to, guess I'm just not that stereotypical flamboyant kind. I'm more than fine with that.

12. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

That's awesome! ^^^^ But yes, I wouldn't want to be identified as that gay best friend. Hanging with girls is great but if I notice I'm being treated as a female myself by them I wouldn't be pleased.

13. PurpleGrey

I knew this pack of girls who had a willing G.B.F. in middle school. He was pretty stereotypical, actually, lisp and sass and the whole bit. I actually didn't realize that's what the deal was until some time later, being the antisocial leper I was and never paid attention to the outside world.

Sometimes I wonder what a "Lesbian Best Friend" would be, but whatever.

14. Camerooon

Yeah, I'm the "GBF" of almost every girl that I've told. *rolls eyes*

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Er...I just recalled when I came out to one of the TAs I worked with, she promptly asked me: "What's wrong with me?" I will never come to understand why she couldn't ask me that before...

16. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ehhh to the closest friends i've got, they and their parents didn't treat me any different. they seem pretty accepting, or pretty non judgmental about it. they consider me "the gay dude" instead of the "gay best friend". they just say it to piss me off a bit, in a comical way. i've never really gotten along with girls according to the stereotypes, i dont think they're too comfortable around me since i'm always an honest opinionated person.

17. 741852963

I think most of the girls who typically have "gay best friends" (I'm thinking the shallow, self-centred straight girls) tend to find me unappealing anyway. Either because I'm not well-dressed, because I like "boy things" or because they think I'm trying to hit on them (this seems to happen a lot, talk about having a big ego thinking even a gay guy can't resist!).

Not that I'm fussed! Can't say I'd want them as friends myself! ;p

18. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These straight girls want a gossip buddy who will go shopping with them and tell them how good they look in shoes and skirts. They also want a gay best friend who fits the prevailing stereotype - flamboyant, feminine and sassy. I don't fit into that stereotype, I prefer male company either way, and a friendship based on a person's sexuality is probably a flimsy one that won't last.

The female friends I do have are not your stereotypical girly girls who enjoy shopping or wearing frilly skirts and high heels - they're more the 'wears plaid shirts and leather jackets' type of girls.

#18 imnotreallysure, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  19. mangotree

oddly, girl-friends that know I'm gay seem to want to tell me all about their periods and their gynaecologist visits ... like I somehow know what they're like because I'm gay.

#19 mangotree, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
  20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Yes.

And i don't talk to anybody who considered me as this now

I'm sorry but if you think my sexuality has anything to do with how good of a friend I can be, you're an idiot