1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Husband taking hormones- What to expect?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Silent Soul, May 26, 2014.

1. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi again

Well it has been 3 weeks since my husband came out to me as having gender identity disorder. It seems like it was only yesterday! His hormone tablets arrived today and I was wondering what should I expect? What changes will happen and how soon will I notice them?

I am scared of the transition but here for him no matter what (*hug*)

2. Summer Rose

Well, from what I've heard of hormones/estrogens, they'll basically limit her body hair, though it won't completely remove it; I'm not entirely sure what other changes occur, but she'll have to adapt her voice naturally. Lastly, the estrogen will affect her sex-drive...it won't stop it, just lessen it. That's most of what I know; though I'm glad to hear your supportive, as I bet she will be :thumbsup:

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can I ask how your spouse got hold of the hormone tablets?

4. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    He purchased them from a reputable medical centre overseas...

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I've heard that they lower your sex drive, make your skin softer, and give you curves (and breasts), as well as a few other things I'm probably forgetting.

6. Tetra

Yeah, as was said before, breasts, thinning of body hair, etc.
    The voice won't change, and electrolysis will help with the hair. Also, bone structure won't really change.
    There will also be a bit of a womanly fat distribution taking place, and she won't build muscle as easily as before.

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Allow me to start off with a Warning. it is illegal in the United states to take Estrogen w/o permission. they are a controlled substance, and if abused can do serious harm.
    With that I will start with the negative effects
    Increased Blood clot chance (triples if he is a long time smoker)
    taking too much can cause sever liver damage.
    As with the blood clots, chance of stroke increases from clotting.
    He should make plans to see a doctor regularly in order to make sure he is physically fine.

Now with the effects
    Fat redistribution over the body, Men and women store fat in different areas.
    Feminization of the face.
    Infertility
    Stopping Male Pattern Baldness (Hair will not recover)
    Quickening head hair growth
    Slower metabolism
    Breast growth
    Milk production
    testicles and flaccid penis size reduction
    Loss of libido
    Period like symptoms
    Loss of bone density (Osteoporosis)
    Thicker finger nails

What they won't effect.
    Bone structure already in place
    Voice
    body hair growth

These changes take a while to come into full effect, the first ones to show themselves are infertility and loss of libido.

I would suggest you talk to your husband into getting Hormones the right way, I am not trying to be mean, I am just being a Human concerned for another Human.
    Generally it requires seeing a Gender Therapist for a random amount of sessions; some will write a letter of HRT recommendations on the first visit, some take longer.
    Then you find a doctor willing to prescribe Hormones. The knowledgeable ones will prescribe them with a Therapist's Note.
    Before they prescribe hormones they will order a battery of tests to make sure the person is healthy, and will require monthly if not weekly check-ups. HRT is serious business, and it will be required for the rest of his life, though the dosage can be reduced after getting rid of his testicles.

8. Techno Kid

That does not sound very legit...

9. Silent Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you all for your advice..

We are in Australia and from what I know it is legal? That I need to find out!

We spoke about risks and he is going to see a doctor to monitor bloods, changes etc..

I said that he can't take them without proper care..

He is also going to eat a healthy diet, reduce his salt intake and increase water..

I am very scared as there are risks but he has assured me that he is starting on a very low dose and then going from there..

I still worry though, sigh!

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's probably a good idea to make sure your spouse is taking the right approach with her transition. What I mean is, make sure she's getting the right dose of hormones, seeing her doctor regularly, and taking care of her health. I know first hand how it feels to want to get the right hormones in you NOW, but it really is best to follow the rules when it comes to transition. She'll be putting her body under stress, so it's best that her hormone levels are monitored to avoid the potential risks that come along with hormone therapy. Make sure she doesn't miss her appointments!

It's normal to worry. But you seem to be doing great so far. (*hug*) Keep your head up and hang in there!

11. sguyc

Their skin will soften. Breasts will grow (but will probably be small to average when they are done). Face will look softer. Body hair might decrease a little bit but its not going to just all disappear. Bigger butt, more fat in general in female areas (hips, butt, mostly). He will lose a lot of male muscle definition eventually.

Emotionally.... who knows that really depends on the person. I hope you both stay healthy and emotionally positive.

12. TrueColors

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There are reports of counterfeit medication all over the world. I would suggest checking with the doctor first before trying it. :S

13. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

Dear OP, for the best interest of you and your spouse, please try to use her new pronouns. It means the world when you do, but it feels awful when you don't. It's okay to mess up, but please try. It'll be best for both of you. Best of wishes!

14. TheFSM

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wait.. I don't understand.. Is he a trans male?Are you using wrong pronouns? What hormones are they taking? and i have to puke when I see the word gender Identity disorder.. it is not a fucking mental illness....