1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So. I got drunk. Hm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JakeHas, May 26, 2014.

1. JakeHas

Like the title says, a couple days ago a few buddies and mine were hanging out just talking and having a blast, but then someone suggested some drinks anddd it just happened. It was only me and two other guys that drank, then there were two more that didn't and were sobor. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this.

I know it's frowned upon and looked at badly to drink underage by people, but it really helped me. I've been so stressed lately and hurting because I've lost the only person I can truly tell anything and it's been getting to me. But that night it all went away and I legitimately had the best night that I have had in a LONG time. Nothing bad happened because we had a couple sensible, sobor friends, and we just had fun.

What are your opinions on this? Good, bad, stupid, ect..

2. Aquilo

Don't make it a habit. Alcohol isn't extremely wrong, but drinking alcohol to forget and deal with problems is unhealthy and may trigger addiction. If you're starting to depend on the alcohol, you're in deep deep deep trouble.

And as you probably know, alcohol has an especially negative effect on the brains of under-age people.

More healthy reasons to drink alcohol might be to increase your mood when you're with friends and already happy or just to enjoy the taste with a nice meal.

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be expected of people in our age group. It's fun to experiment with when you're underage and sometimes it can make you feel happy, but when you drink to cope with life's problems, you're setting yourself up for alcoholism.

My grandma is 81 years old and she's been an alcoholic for at least 60 of those years. She drank to cope with having an abusive husband, she drank to cope with having to raise 4 kids almost on her own because her abusive husband pretty much lived at work as a self-employed lawyer, she drank to deal with her kids having grown up and empty-nest syndrome, she drank to deal with losing her husband, she drank to deal with the transition to living alone as an old woman, and now she's drinking to deal with her daughter-in-law being sick and having to take care of her.

The point I'm making is that when you drink to deal with your problems, you never learn healthy coping skills to work through them. A learned behavior becomes a habit, and when you're drinking to deal with all your problems, that's how you become an alcoholic.

Now I'm not saying you're an alcoholic because of what you did one time, but if you drink to deal with the pain and what's going on in your life, you're putting yourself on that path.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Getting drunk gets pretty old fast. Some of my acquaintances make it a habit of doing so every weekend, and some much more often, but for me the appeal just isn't there. I'd rather drink to enjoy the drink itself, not to forget my problems or to drink for the sake of drinking.

The only memories they left me were of failing quizzes, missing work, and getting kicked out of a friend's house. Keep it in moderation, and your liver and wallet will both thank you for years to come.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm not a drinker. I've tried, due to curiosity, and I've tried, when offered. I just don't like it. It upsets my stomach, for one, but I also didn't enjoy the environment. Of course, I don't hold this against everybody who drinks, but most of my experiences with alcohol have not been positive. It doesn't help my parents would drink a lot.

All getting drunk got me was, feeling sick, and feeling out of control. I much prefer my other vice, a certain little herb.

Just be sensible about it. That's all I ask, because nothing gets someone irked like an annoying drunk, haha.

6. Derivative

Derivative Guest

I don't think there is anything wrong with having a few beers at your age as long as you're drinking in moderation and in a safe environment. Drinking to forget your problems however is not a good path to go by as previously mentioned.

Don't go drinking spirits at your age though as I find it easy to underestimate how intoxicated they will actually get you and it can be very unpleasant. So just drink in moderation, stay safe, and stick to drinks with low ABV.

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Like others have said, just don't make it a habit to drink when you're in pain because It's dangerous down the road.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not gonna yell at you, because that doesn't do any good, but I have worries.

Drinking is not a way of medicating and dealing with real problems. You need supportive friends, and maybe a therapist if you have real problems. Not booze. Alcohol is great; just drink it in moderation, okay? (*hug*)

I'm just happy that nobody crashed a car, sexually assaulted anybody, or had to go to the intensive care ward for alcohol poisoning. That's a win.

9. kem

kem

I have many friends who started drinking at 13 to wash away their troubles, and they're fine. I'm not saying that it's not dangerous, but if you got drunk once when you were 15, it won't kill you. Your mistakes while drunk might, though.
    I've drunk little, purely to enjoy the taste, and I've had it in such quantities as to guarantee insobriety.
    I've had some with friends in order to have a blast and just go wild for a moment, and I've had a glass or two alone for introspection, and because I was sad.

I didn't drink much to begin with, compared to young Finns in general, but I've drastically reduced my intake after I realised that no matter the situation, getting drunk always made me hit an emotional low a couple days later; not to mention the physical sickness it started to create in me. Also, after a bad LSD-trip that was essentially 6 hours of psychosis alone in my bed, I've developed an aversion to all states of intoxication.

Alcohol creates problems when you depend on it to create a false feeling of something; whether it's joy, or security, or not having to worry about anything. As long as you realise that drinking won't wash away your problems, and you keep in mind that your woes will still be there the morning after, any amount you drink will be fine.

#9 kem, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  10. Holdingb

Holdingb Guest

Don't turn into a bum who does it all the time, I hang out with some people who drink, or smoke weed daily and I don't see them going anywhere in life.

I suppose it isn't a "huge deal." Just don't think it can solve your problems whenever you're feeling down again. I'd also not recommend going to too many parties with these friends if they act stupid all the time or are always drinking.

11. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think it's a big deal. Yeah, it's not legal in the United States so I wouldn't really recommend it, but it is legal in a lot of countries and the earth keeps on spinning. Just make sure it doesn't become a dependency -- if you find that you're always craving another drink or feel like that's your only source of happiness then there's a problem.

12. Kreiger

Its not a big deal, heck I've done it before, just don't make a habit of it. Drinking too much can and will ruin you, but on occasion its not a problem.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I think he's got the point by now. :lol:

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think drinking to have fun and drinking to forget/null pain are different things. As long as your company is trustworthy, doesnt get carried away with it or make stupid decisions such as driving or unsafe sex afterwards I think the first is fine. The second is probably worse as addictions generally start that way.

The people you do it with are honestly the biggest factor that makes any situation like this a good or bad idea though.

15. ok455

Its okay as long as you don't make it an habit or an escape from all your problems. I had to stop being friends with a guy i knew from High School. He was a bottomless pit when it comes to drinking. You couldn't even take him to the bar with out him getting drunk to the point you had to carry him out. Hes the types he would pick fights with people and pee anywhere you had to take him to the bathroom. We went to wild wood one year and he did that episode i left him there. You think you have stress at 15 wait until your in your 20s with a fulltime job school and all the other stresses.

I never got drunk before a little tipsy but never full blown drunk. I like the bar scene and i enjoy going with friends and chilling and meeting new people its fun.

#15 ok455, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  16. Weekender

I'm going to go ahead and point out that underage drinking is against the law. In that regard, what you did was pretty dumb, and you're lucky you didn't get caught. You're also incredibly lucky that no one got hurt. We've had 5 deaths at my school in the last four years, and every one of them involved alcohol.

If you're going to do it, I don't think it should be spontaneous. Have a plan, and a back-up plan. Make sure someone you trust that isn't there knows what you guys are going to be up to, in case something happens.

17. awesomeness

It's kinda funny to hear Americans freak out about "underage drinking".

Where I live, it's the norm for people to start drinking when they're 14/15 lol. And the legal drinking-age here is 16.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drinking underage is a problem from a legal standpoint, but that isn't the concern here.

What is really concerning is this statement:

That is exactly the pattern/circumstance for someone who is likely to have future problems with alcohol (or other drugs.) You're describing alcohol as an escape from stress... which would be OK on a very occasional basis, but then you go on to say "it all went away and I had the best night ever" and *that* is an enormous red flag for an addiction risk.

When we do something that makes us feel good.. naturally, our tendency is to want to do it again. A healthy person can say "OK, that's fine for once in a couple of months" or something like that.

But if we already have a predisposition to be at risk for addiction, which, according to the newest research, appears to be an issue with neurotransmitter development early in childhood, then that first time, or one soon after it, can trigger a desire to continue the behavior. And you add that to the drugs/alcohol itself, which can be really addictve, and even more so for people with the risk factors... and add that to the behavioral attitude of "I need relief from stress and this makes me feel good"... you have a recipe for serious concerns.

So I'm not saying you're an alcoholic or destined to be a drug addict or anything of the sort. But I am saying, the way you're describing the use of alcohol and what it did for you is exactly the sort of risk factors that we see when we're trying to predict who is likely to become an alcoholic.

If it were me, I'd simply avoid the risk.

19. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

It gets old quickly. I'm not even headed to college looking to party as it got old to me even in high school. It helps sometimes, & you may even feel more accepted because of it , but don't make it a habit, it gets old anyways. Btw, you're a very handsome dude. Just tossing that out there.

20. JakeHas

I understand that all guys, it may have been and amazingly fun night, but I am aware of the risks. I really appreciate everyone's input! It means a lot and helps a lot! It definitely wont be something I do all the time because there are consequences the next day when you sobor up :eusa_sick

And thank you JStevens96 c: